Old 04-08-2008, 08:56 PM
Anton Solovyev

Default Thank you, unknown genius!

For removing the "Install Everything" option from Fedora Core 8 installation.

The disappearance of the "disable iptabes" and "disable selinux" options counts
as a minor annoyance, I guess. But thanks for that too!

--

Anton Solovyev

Old 04-08-2008, 09:00 PM
Steve Searle

Around 09:56pm on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 (UK time), Anton Solovyev scrawled:

> The disappearance of the "disable iptabes" and "disable selinux" options
> counts as a minor annoyance, I guess. But thanks for that too!

My notes from installing it indicate that when first boot is run, you
are offered the choice to change the firewall settings and to disable
SElinux.

Perhaps you are wrong about the loss of the Install Everything option
too, but I don't do that so it isn't in my notes.

Steve

--

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting a bad thing?

21:58:37 up 8 days, 23:59, 1 user, load average: 0.14, 0.14, 0.05

Old 04-08-2008, 09:37 PM
Anton Solovyev

Steve Searle wrote:

The disappearance of the "disable iptabes" and "disable selinux" options
counts as a minor annoyance, I guess. But thanks for that too!

My notes from installing it indicate that when first boot is run, you
are offered the choice to change the firewall settings and to disable
SElinux.

Oh, that's good, thanks!

Perhaps you are wrong about the loss of the Install Everything option
too, but I don't do that so it isn't in my notes.

Unfortunately, it does not appear I am wrong there.

--

Anton Solovyev

Old 04-08-2008, 10:01 PM
Todd Denniston

The disappearance of the "disable iptabes" and "disable selinux"
options counts as a minor annoyance, I guess. But thanks for that too!

My notes from installing it indicate that when first boot is run, you
are offered the choice to change the firewall settings and to disable
SElinux.

Oh, that's good, thanks!

Perhaps you are wrong about the loss of the Install Everything option
too, but I don't do that so it isn't in my notes.

Unfortunately, it does not appear I am wrong there.

Actually an unfortunate thing is that if you do go through and select
EVERYTHING by hand and install it, I know from experience, you will get
conflicting packages[1] installed and the rpm's are not setup to indicate
conflicts.

specifically I know about:
A) rsyslog & syslog-ng
B) ccid|ifd-egate & ctapi-cyberjack-pcsc

It would be useful to have an "Everything that does not conflict" button though.

[1] conflicting in as much as, you get nothing in /var/log/messages with both
syslog packages, and the ifd-cyberjack.bundle from ctapi-cyberjack-pcsc causes
pcscd to peg at 100% CPU and fail to do ANYthing useful, if a reader for any
of the other bundles is plugged in.

--
Todd Denniston

Old 04-08-2008, 10:15 PM
Craig White

On Tue, 2008-04-08 at 14:56 -0600, Anton Solovyev wrote:
> For removing the "Install Everything" option from Fedora Core 8 installation.
>
> The disappearance of the "disable iptabes" and "disable selinux" options counts
> as a minor annoyance, I guess. But thanks for that too!
----
Install 'everything' was removed on FC6 installer if I recall correctly.

The issue was that it was too difficult to manage across the various
packages, hardware types and still 'everything' isn't really everything
since the 'everything' you are seeing is the DVD and there is an even
bigger 'Everything' on the mirrors which goes well beyond what is on the
DVD.

I believe that you can select all packages within each group which makes
it relatively simple to get that big honking install that you crave.

And for what it's worth...you are not alone with your desire to have
that big honking 'everything' install...right Claude?

;-)

Craig

Old 04-08-2008, 10:16 PM
Anton Solovyev

Todd Denniston wrote:

Actually an unfortunate thing is that if you do go through and select
EVERYTHING by hand and install it, I know from experience, you will get
conflicting packages[1] installed and the rpm's are not setup to
indicate conflicts.

specifically I know about:
A) rsyslog & syslog-ng
B) ccid|ifd-egate & ctapi-cyberjack-pcsc

It would be useful to have an "Everything that does not conflict" button
though.

[1] conflicting in as much as, you get nothing in /var/log/messages with
both syslog packages, and the ifd-cyberjack.bundle from
ctapi-cyberjack-pcsc causes pcscd to peg at 100% CPU and fail to do
ANYthing useful, if a reader for any of the other bundles is plugged in.

Well, that's not unexpected. I am guessing the whole point of the change was to
make it possible to stick in any number of possibly incompatible packages and
not have to answer for an unusable install. All that under excuse of "security".

--

Anton Solovyev

Old 04-08-2008, 10:28 PM
Tom Horsley

On Tue, 08 Apr 2008 15:15:39 -0700
Craig White <craig@tobyhouse.com> wrote:

> I believe that you can select all packages within each group which makes
> it relatively simple to get that big honking install that you crave.

One highly underdocumented feature of the installer is that within
each major chunk of packages (the column on the left side of the screen),
you can select all the sub-chunks over on the right side, then right
click the mouse and pick "select all optional package"

So you can get "everything" with only a moderate number of mouse clicks
(I haven't discovered any way to do it with the keyboard, which is a
pain in the patoot in a Xen virtual machine install with the flakey
mouse tracking).

If "select all optional packages" is a valid thing to do, I have no
idea why there isn't a button labeled "OK, pretend I went through everything
manually and clicked on select all optional packages" :-).