Old 05-07-2012, 01:51 PM
Richard Shaw

Default BeOS

On Mon, May 7, 2012 at 8:33 AM, Fernando Cassia <fcassia@gmail.com> wrote:
> Good pointer Ian. And thanks everyone else who also replied. In the end, I
> decided not to lose any more time with this (after all, all I wanted to do
> was backing up an ancient BeOS install diskettte to a diskette image file),
> and proceeded to do this on a WinXP machine then email the diskette image
> file to myself, which I then downloaded on the Linux box

Wow! Another BeOS'er! I've still got my original box and CD. It's a
shame it went defunct. It was way ahead of it's time.

Richard

Old 05-07-2012, 03:33 PM
Fernando Cassia

On Mon, May 7, 2012 at 10:51 AM, Richard Shaw <hobbes1069@gmail.com> wrote:

Wow! Another BeOS'er! I've still got my original box and CD. It's a

shame it went defunct. It was way ahead of it's time.
Yes.

I was mostly a OS/2 Warp 4.x zealot by then,but yes, I got to play with BeOS (4.5 if I remember correctly).

This whole ordeal with the diskette image started when I read about this effort to revive the BeOS spirit...

http://www.haiku-os.org
FC
Durante épocas de Engaño Universal, decir la verdad se convierte en un Acto Revolucionario

- George Orwell

Old 05-07-2012, 03:38 PM
Richard Shaw

On Mon, May 7, 2012 at 10:33 AM, Fernando Cassia <fcassia@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, May 7, 2012 at 10:51 AM, Richard Shaw <hobbes1069@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Wow! Another BeOS'er! I've still got my original box and CD. It's a
>> shame it went defunct. It was way ahead of it's time.
>

> Yes.
>
> I was mostly a OS/2 Warp 4.x zealot by then,but yes, I got to play with BeOS
> (4.5 if I remember correctly).
>
> This whole ordeal with the diskette image started when I read about this
> effort to revive the BeOS spirit...
>
> http://www.haiku-os.org

I've known about it for quite some time but it looks like they're
finally getting to something usable. There was also a project to
create a BeOS like system on top of the regular linux kernel to take
advantage of the larger driver base but while practical, I never liked
that idea because BeOS was always about a micro kernel not a
monolithic kernel.

Richard

Old 05-08-2012, 10:13 AM
Ian Malone

On 7 May 2012 16:38, Richard Shaw <hobbes1069@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, May 7, 2012 at 10:33 AM, Fernando Cassia <fcassia@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, May 7, 2012 at 10:51 AM, Richard Shaw <hobbes1069@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Wow! Another BeOS'er! I've still got my original box and CD. It's a
>>> shame it went defunct. It was way ahead of it's time.
>>

>> I was mostly a OS/2 Warp 4.x zealot by then,but yes, I got to play with BeOS
>> (4.5 if I remember correctly).
>>
>> This whole ordeal with the diskette image started when I read about this
>> effort to revive the BeOS spirit...
>>
>> http://www.haiku-os.org
>
> I've known about it for quite some time but it looks like they're
> finally getting to something usable. There was also a project to
> create a BeOS like system on top of the regular linux kernel to take
> advantage of the larger driver base but while practical, I never liked
> that idea because BeOS was always about a micro kernel not a
> monolithic kernel.

I first saw Haiku when I went through a few months of being keen on
Windows desktop theming (litestep anyone?) that was a about a decade
ago, rather glad I didn't try holding my breath.

--
imalone
http://ibmalone.blogspot.co.uk