Old 05-07-2012, 07:47 AM
Antonio M

Default Recovery of Evolution mails and settings

2012/5/7 Ankur Sinha <sanjay.ankur@gmail.com>

On Mon, 2012-05-07 at 09:20 +0200, antonio.montagnani@alice.it wrote:

> I made a full copy of a F16 users directory.

> I made a fresh installation of

> F17...now I want to transfer settings and mail to the new computer.

> I copied .

> config/evolution and .local/share/evolution.

> It still starts asking for setup

> of a new account.

> Where is my mistake???

> Antonio Montagnani

> Fedora 16 Verne (Linux)

> Delivered by Alice webmail

http://library.gnome.org/users/evolution/3.1/data-storage.html.en

You missed the configuration settings in gconf part.

--

Thanks,

Regards,

Ankur: "FranciscoD"

http://dodoincfedora.wordpress.com/

tnx for help.

I copied from backup files all 4 files, but it still asks for configuration.Any idea???

--
Antonio Montagnani
Skype : amontag52

Linux Fedora 16 Verne

Old 05-07-2012, 12:53 PM
Patrick O'Callaghan

On Mon, 2012-05-07 at 09:20 +0200, antonio.montagnani@alice.it wrote:
> I made a full copy of a F16 users directory.
>
> I made a fresh installation of
> F17...now I want to transfer settings and mail to the new computer.
>
> I copied .
> config/evolution and .local/share/evolution.
>
> It still starts asking for setup
> of a new account.
>
> Where is my mistake???

Your mistake is in not using Evo's built-in backup and restore
functions. See
http://library.gnome.org/users/evolution/3.2/data-storage.html.en and
follow the link to Backup and Restore.

BTW this is a FAQ on the Evo list
(http://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list). Questions about
Evo are usually better directed there than here, though of course it
isn't Fedora-specific. And of course questions about F17 should go to
the Test list since it isn't released yet.

poc

Old 05-07-2012, 01:12 PM
Antonio M

2012/5/7 Patrick O'Callaghan <pocallaghan@gmail.com>

On Mon, 2012-05-07 at 09:20 +0200, antonio.montagnani@alice.it wrote:

> I made a full copy of a F16 users directory.

> I made a fresh installation of

> F17...now I want to transfer settings and mail to the new computer.

> I copied .

> config/evolution and .local/share/evolution.

> It still starts asking for setup

> of a new account.

> Where is my mistake???

Your mistake is in not using Evo's built-in backup and restore

functions. See

http://library.gnome.org/users/evolution/3.2/data-storage.html.en and

follow the link to Backup and Restore.

BTW this is a FAQ on the Evo list

Evo are usually better directed there than here, though of course it

isn't Fedora-specific. And of course questions about F17 should go to

the Test list since it isn't released yet.

poc

you are right about the list....Can I ask a question??
If you make a fresh installation, you are requested to set an account, that is done even if you have copied back your backup folders ..and Restore of backup is done after you have set an account: what am I missing??? is it correct???

Thunderbird has a different behaviour, if you copied back folders you are not asked to set up an account.
--
Antonio Montagnani
Skype : amontag52

Linux Fedora 16 Verne

Old 05-07-2012, 01:22 PM
Patrick O'Callaghan

On Mon, 2012-05-07 at 15:12 +0200, Antonio M wrote:
> you are right about the list....Can I ask a question??
> If you make a fresh installation, you are requested to set an account,
> that
> is done even if you have copied back your backup folders ..and Restore
> of
> backup is done after you have set an account: what am I missing??? is
> it
> correct???

No it isn't. This is happening because Evo stores part of the config
data in Gconf, which you didn't copy. That's why it's important to use
the built-in mechanism. Read the referenced page for more.

> Thunderbird has a different behaviour, if you copied back folders you
> are not asked to set up an account.

Because TB works differently?

poc

Old 05-07-2012, 01:32 PM
Antonio M

2012/5/7 Patrick O'Callaghan <pocallaghan@gmail.com>

On Mon, 2012-05-07 at 15:12 +0200, Antonio M wrote:

> you are right about the list....Can I ask a question??

> If you make a fresh installation, you are requested to set an account,

> that

> is done even if you have copied back your backup folders ..and Restore

> of

> backup is done after you have set an account: what am I missing??? is

> it

> correct???

No it isn't. This is happening because Evo stores part of the config

data in Gconf, which you didn't copy. That's why it's important to use

the built-in mechanism. Read the referenced page for more.

I copied also Gconf file, as in the documentation

> Thunderbird has a different behaviour, if you copied back folders you

> are not asked to set up an account.

Because TB works differently?

yes, copy back your folder (.i.e. .thunderbird folder) and you are not called for a new account.

--
Antonio Montagnani
Skype : amontag52

Linux Fedora 16 Verne

Old 05-07-2012, 11:51 PM
Aaron Konstam

On Mon, 2012-05-07 at 09:20 +0200, Antonio.montagnani@alice.it wrote:
> I made a full copy of a F16 users directory.
>
> I made a fresh installation of
> F17...now I want to transfer settings and mail to the new computer.
>
> I copied .
> config/evolution and .local/share/evolution.
>
> It still starts asking for setup
> of a new account.
>
> Where is my mistake???

Your mistake was not saving the save the evolution settings under the
file menuj before you upgrade your distribution. Transfer the saved file
somewhere and then when you go to the new evolution it will ask you if
you want restore the evolution from a file and you do that from the file
you saved.