Old 05-06-2012, 10:35 PM
Joe Zeff

Default gnome3 - nothing but problems (for me)

On 05/06/2012 02:50 PM, JD wrote:

In short, I think I will have to dump F16, and switch back to
F14 or switch to a completely different distro that has not switched to
gnome3.

There's nothing to say that you have to use Gnome if you use Fedora.
Try installing and using a different DE and see if it works better for you.

Old 05-06-2012, 10:54 PM
Jayson Rowe

On Sun, May 06, 2012 at 03:50:31PM -0600, JD wrote:
> Hi All,
> Without dissing or criticizing gnome3, I must say
> I have nothing but problems with using it.
> For example, selecting the Gnome, or the Classic Gnome
> desktop manager, I can no longer see the desktop in other
> workspaces that I created, except workspace 1.
> Viewing the desktop in a window (as compared on the workspace)
> does not cut it for me...
> Starting apps always start in workspace 1, even though
> I select the app from Applications drop down menu in
> some other workspace.
> I am unable to change the position of the Applications
> toolbar to the left vertical position, and the currently
> running apps toolbar to the right vertical position.
> I am unable to create new gnome launch icons on the
> desktop (or at least, I have not figured out how). Right click
> on desktop has no effect.
> I am unable to add new icons of apps to the menu bar for quick launch.
>
> And finally, on my HW (AMD Athlon64 3200+)) platform,
> the response time with F16 is so horribly slow, that F14 practically
> appeared to respond like lightning - albeit I have had much
> faster response time on older Fedora releases (such as F7 and F8),
> on this same HW.
>
> In short, I think I will have to dump F16, and switch back to
> F14 or switch to a completely different distro that has not
> switched to gnome3.
>
> Thanx for all the good and the bad times
>
> Cheers,
>
> JD

Hi JD,

GNOME3 is a learning curve for sure, and I also know it's not an
environment that will work for everyone. With time, I have adapted
nicely, and I have actually come to prefer the GNOME3 way of doing
things for the most part. Enough about me though.

Have you tried XFCE? I have a computer of similar specs as yours that is
happily running the F17-beta release with the XFCE desktop. I made some
modifications to the default layout - set it up w/ 2 24px panels (top
and bottom), placed my "taskbar" or "Window List" on the bottom panel,
along w/ the workspace switcher, and it looks and feels almost exactly
like GNOME2 now. The folks that work on the XFCE spin are top notch
folks too. I think you might be pleased if you give it a spin.

Jayson

Old 05-06-2012, 10:58 PM
Phil Dobbin

[...]

Have you tried running in Fallback mode? I find it perfectly usable in
that mode.

I ran preupgrade today from 15 -> 16 & apart from a twenty minute stall
at selinux-targeted-policy during the upgrade it went without a hitch &
16 is far snappier than 15 & boots a lot quicker.

The most surprising thing of all is that the upgrade was carried out on
an old IBM ThinkPad T42 with 1GB of RAM & in fallback it's flying along
& I see none of the problems you're describing.

I hope you get it sorted. I did run the KDE Live CD before upgrading but
decided to stick with Gnome albeit without the visual bells & whistles.

Cheers,

Phil...

Old 05-06-2012, 11:11 PM
Tom Horsley

Linux Mint seems to be the only distro that has had
a sane reaction to GNOME 3.

http://www.linuxmint.com/rel_lisa_whatsnew.php

Modifications to GNOME 3 and a fork of GNOME 2.

Old 05-07-2012, 02:31 AM
J D

Linux Mint seems to be the only distro that has had
a sane reaction to GNOME 3.

http://www.linuxmint.com/rel_lisa_whatsnew.php

Modifications to GNOME 3 and a fork of GNOME 2.

Thank you Tom.
I will check it out.

Old 05-07-2012, 02:36 AM
J D

[...]

I had done a fresh install of F16, as the upgrade left my machine in an
unusable state.

I do not recall seeing anything about fallback mode.

As an update to my post, I found that xfce is much more like Gnome2, albeit
it is still a wee bit too rigid as far as letting the user decide where
the task bar and
the apps launch bar should be located. But all in all, xfce has come to
the rescue

Old 05-07-2012, 02:38 AM
J D

[...]

Right! I had replied to Phil Dobbin that XFCE was my rescuer

Cheers,

JD

Old 05-07-2012, 02:39 AM
J D

In short, I think I will have to dump F16, and switch back to
F14 or switch to a completely different distro that has not switched to
gnome3.

There's nothing to say that you have to use Gnome if you use Fedora.
Try installing and using a different DE and see if it works better for
you.

See my reply to Phil Dobbin.

Old 05-07-2012, 02:40 AM
J D

> In short, I think I will have to dump F16, and switch back

> F14 or switch to a completely different* distro that has
not switched to gnome3.

why are you not simply drop this GNOME3 crap

and switch to KDE?

GNOME2 is dead and will not come back

not on any distribution

KDE never had the problem NEEDING 3D acelerated hardware as
GNOME3

and this time KDE4 is really good compared to 4.0 - the problem

is the GNOME dves have not learned from the KDE4.0 disaster and

were never really interested in their userbase

they do what they want and this will never change

I agree, except that I would also suggest XFCE as another
worthwhile alternative.

Yes. See my reply to Phil Dobbin.

Cheers,

JD

Old 05-07-2012, 02:43 AM
J D

In short, I think I will have to dump F16, and switch back to
F14 or switch to a completely different distro that has not switched to gnome3.

why are you not simply drop this GNOME3 crap
and switch to KDE?

GNOME2 is dead and will not come back
not on any distribution

KDE never had the problem NEEDING 3D acelerated hardware as GNOME3
and this time KDE4 is really good compared to 4.0 - the problem
is the GNOME dves have not learned from the KDE4.0 disaster and
were never really interested in their userbase

they do what they want and this will never change

Well, I had tried KDE - but I was so used and comfortable with
Gnome2,

I really wanted my favorite DE back.

As I had already tried and found XFCE gives me what I want,

I replied to Phil Dobbin that I had already switched to XFCE.

Cheers,

JD