Old 05-06-2012, 09:50 PM
JD

Default gnome3 - nothing but problems (for me)

Hi All,
Without dissing or criticizing gnome3, I must say
I have nothing but problems with using it.
For example, selecting the Gnome, or the Classic Gnome
desktop manager, I can no longer see the desktop in other
workspaces that I created, except workspace 1.
Viewing the desktop in a window (as compared on the workspace)
does not cut it for me...
Starting apps always start in workspace 1, even though
I select the app from Applications drop down menu in
some other workspace.
I am unable to change the position of the Applications
toolbar to the left vertical position, and the currently
running apps toolbar to the right vertical position.
I am unable to create new gnome launch icons on the
desktop (or at least, I have not figured out how). Right click
on desktop has no effect.
I am unable to add new icons of apps to the menu bar for quick launch.

And finally, on my HW (AMD Athlon64 3200+)) platform,
the response time with F16 is so horribly slow, that F14 practically
appeared to respond like lightning - albeit I have had much
faster response time on older Fedora releases (such as F7 and F8),
on this same HW.

In short, I think I will have to dump F16, and switch back to
F14 or switch to a completely different distro that has not switched to
gnome3.

Thanx for all the good and the bad times

Cheers,

JD

Old 05-06-2012, 10:17 PM
Reindl Harald

Am 06.05.2012 23:50, schrieb JD:
> In short, I think I will have to dump F16, and switch back to
> F14 or switch to a completely different distro that has not switched to gnome3.

why are you not simply drop this GNOME3 crap
and switch to KDE?

GNOME2 is dead and will not come back
not on any distribution

KDE never had the problem NEEDING 3D acelerated hardware as GNOME3
and this time KDE4 is really good compared to 4.0 - the problem
is the GNOME dves have not learned from the KDE4.0 disaster and
were never really interested in their userbase

they do what they want and this will never change

Old 05-06-2012, 10:27 PM
Sam Varshavchik

Reindl Harald writes:

Am 06.05.2012 23:50, schrieb JD:
> In short, I think I will have to dump F16, and switch back to
> F14 or switch to a completely different distro that has not switched to
gnome3.

why are you not simply drop this GNOME3 crap
and switch to KDE?

GNOME2 is dead and will not come back
not on any distribution

KDE never had the problem NEEDING 3D acelerated hardware as GNOME3
and this time KDE4 is really good compared to 4.0 - the problem
is the GNOME dves have not learned from the KDE4.0 disaster and
were never really interested in their userbase

they do what they want and this will never change

I agree, except that I would also suggest XFCE as another worthwhile
alternative.