Old 05-05-2012, 07:03 PM
Fedora User

Default Ugh! Activate SSHD on Headless Machine?

I have a perfectly good laptop with a fried display card that I am
trying to turn into a media server. It boots and the network is
activated but I must have turned off sshd like a complete schmuck.

I spent hours on a ks.cfg, testing it on virtual box until it was
perfect - figuring that I would just do a fresh auto-install. I must
have changed the boot order in the BIOS for some reason that I will
never remember.

Does anyone know a good trick before I buy a SATA-to-USB converter?

Old 05-05-2012, 08:15 PM
Jorge Fábregas

On 05/05/2012 03:03 PM, Fedora User wrote:
> I have a perfectly good laptop with a fried display card that I am
> trying to turn into a media server. It boots and the network is
> activated but I must have turned off sshd like a complete schmuck.

Well, if it boots and the network is activated (and assuming your know
its ip address)...how difficult can it be to type:

root <ENTER>
yourpassword <ENTER>

chkconfig sshd on <ENTER>
service sshd start <ENTER>

..and then try to connect to it?

Notice that I'm using the old'style commands (chkconfig and service)
instead of all the new systemd commands which I still haven't used.
Nonetheless they still should work.

Regards,
Jorge

Old 05-05-2012, 08:23 PM
Jorge Fábregas

On 05/05/2012 04:15 PM, Jorge Fábregas wrote:
> Well, if it boots and the network is activated (and assuming your know
> its ip address)...how difficult can it be to type:

I'm sorry. The instructions I gave you were assuming it was a server
(where you usually don't run a GUI ). I guess you had a graphical
environment there so GDM would be your first contact with the system.
You can follow my instructions (and be safer) by switching to one of the
virtual consoles with: ALT+CTRL+F2 or F3 or F4.... before your type
the word "root" to begin the login process.

HTH,
Jorge

Old 05-06-2012, 02:06 PM
Veeti Paananen

On 5.5.2012 23:15, Jorge Fábregas wrote:
> On 05/05/2012 03:03 PM, Fedora User wrote:
>> I have a perfectly good laptop with a fried display card that I am
>> trying to turn into a media server. It boots and the network is
>> activated but I must have turned off sshd like a complete schmuck.
>
> Well, if it boots and the network is activated (and assuming your know
> its ip address)...how difficult can it be to type:
>
> root <ENTER>
> yourpassword <ENTER>
>
> chkconfig sshd on <ENTER>
> service sshd start <ENTER>
>
> ..and then try to connect to it?
>
> Notice that I'm using the old'style commands (chkconfig and service)
> instead of all the new systemd commands which I still haven't used.
> Nonetheless they still should work.
>
> Regards,
> Jorge

And for reference, the systemd equivalents are:

systemctl enable sshd.service
systemctl start sshd.service

--
Veeti Paananen - systemd fan