Old 04-08-2008, 03:30 PM
Michal

Default umask + newgrp in ~/.bashrc creates bash processes in infinite loop.

Hallo group members.

I added to ~/.bashrc following lines:
umask 002
newgrp $USER

then, when starting up bash, bash processes are created in infinite loop.
You can break it with Ctrl-c, then:
$ ps

You will see many bash processes.

Have You got idea what might be the reason?

It happens both on fc6 and fc8. I didn't check other.

regards,
Michal

Old 04-08-2008, 03:37 PM
Jeff Voskamp

Michal wrote:

Hallo group members.

I added to ~/.bashrc following lines:
umask 002
newgrp $USER

then, when starting up bash, bash processes are created in infinite loop.
You can break it with Ctrl-c, then:
$ ps

You will see many bash processes.

Have You got idea what might be the reason?

It happens both on fc6 and fc8. I didn't check other.

regards,
Michal

Newgrp starts a new (nested) shell with the new group. The new bash
reads .bashrc, invokes newgrp... Repeat ad nauseum.

Jeff Voskamp

Old 04-08-2008, 04:06 PM
"David C. Chipman"

Hi Mikal,

What exactly are you trying to do in .bashrc? You don't
explain that to us. It would help to know why you are doing these
things. Later,

-David Chipman