Old 05-03-2012, 07:01 PM

Default (SOLVED ) What is removing files from /tmp?

On Thu, 3 May 2012 at 11:34:03, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> On Wed, 02 May 2012 19:47:03 -0700, DSM (Dean) wrote:
>

> > I'm running F15. Files are mysteriously being removed from /tmp after a
> > number of days of not being touched. I am familiar with
> > /etc/cron.daily/tmpwatch and, in fact, modify it to inhibit removal of
> > files from /tmp. In the past this has worked. Under F15 it has not.
> >
> > Two or three weeks ago I deleted it from /etc/cron.daily but older files
> > _still_ get removed from /tmp. I've rebooted at least once. I'm not
> > sure if it happens at bootup or while the system is running, but
> > something is still removing files from /tmp.
> >
> > Does anyone know of another mechanism for this?
>
> At least with recent systemd versions, there is the systemd-tmpfiles-clean
> service. Dunno whether it's available in F15. And it defaults to 10 days
> not 14, I think: "man tmpfiles.d"

Sorry for not responding till now. I'm traveling and away from the
offending system. But I do believe that you have found the culprit.
I just remotely logged onto my F15 system at work and found

/usr/lib/tmpfiles.d/systemd.conf

which contains this line:

d /tmp 1777 root root 10d

Knowing NOTHING about "systemd" or this file format (yet), I'm taking
the wild guess that the initial "d" stands for "delete". I will read up
on this stuff, and verify that it is the cause. (Which raises the
question: why does F15 contains two independent mechanisms for cleaning
/tmp. Seems like a bug to me.)

I also want to give credit to David Hawes, who wrote me privately this
morning and suggested the same solution as Michael. I just saw his
e-mail. Many thanks to both of you for pointing me in the right
direction! I can't verify now, but my gut tells me this is IT.

Time to head to my flight.

Dean

Old 05-03-2012, 07:30 PM
Patrick O'Callaghan

On Thu, 2012-05-03 at 12:01 -0700, Dean S. Messing wrote:
> Sorry for not responding till now. I'm traveling and away from the
> offending system. But I do believe that you have found the culprit.
> I just remotely logged onto my F15 system at work and found
>
> /usr/lib/tmpfiles.d/systemd.conf
>
> which contains this line:
>
> d /tmp 1777 root root 10d
>

> Knowing NOTHING about "systemd" or this file format (yet), I'm taking
> the wild guess that the initial "d" stands for "delete".

man tmpfiles.d

poc

Old 05-04-2012, 11:13 AM
John Horne

On Thu, 2012-05-03 at 12:01 -0700, Dean S. Messing wrote:

> I just remotely logged onto my F15 system at work and found
>
> /usr/lib/tmpfiles.d/systemd.conf
>
> which contains this line:
>
> d /tmp 1777 root root 10d

Thanks for this. I admit I wasn't aware of this mechanism so have
learned something :-)

Interestingly though, the man page says that files and directories will
be removed. That doesn't seem to happen. I have directories in /tmp (on
F15) which are well over 10 days old. They have no files in them, some
have subdirectories, but no files at all. So it seems to more purge /tmp
of files, but leave the directory structures in place.

John.

--
John Horne Tel: +44 (0)1752 587287
Plymouth University, UK Fax: +44 (0)1752 587001

Old 05-04-2012, 12:18 PM
Patrick O'Callaghan

On Fri, 2012-05-04 at 12:13 +0100, John Horne wrote:
> On Thu, 2012-05-03 at 12:01 -0700, Dean S. Messing wrote:
>
> > I just remotely logged onto my F15 system at work and found
> >
> > /usr/lib/tmpfiles.d/systemd.conf
> >
> > which contains this line:
> >
> > d /tmp 1777 root root 10d
> >
> Thanks for this. I admit I wasn't aware of this mechanism so have
> learned something :-)
>
> Interestingly though, the man page says that files and directories will
> be removed. That doesn't seem to happen. I have directories in /tmp (on
> F15) which are well over 10 days old. They have no files in them, some
> have subdirectories, but no files at all. So it seems to more purge /tmp
> of files, but leave the directory structures in place.

Are you actually running systemd (specifically systemd-tmpfiles)? IIRC
it only became the default in F16.

poc

Old 05-04-2012, 12:32 PM
Frank Murphy

On 04/05/12 13:18, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:

Are you actually running systemd (specifically systemd-tmpfiles)? IIRC
it only became the default in F16.

poc

They are in F15, and seemingly 2 out of 3 currently active

systemd-tmpfiles-clean.service inactive dead
systemd-tmpfiles-clean.timer active waiting
systemd-tmpfiles-setup.service active exited

Frank
"Jack of all, fubars"