Old 05-02-2012, 02:50 PM
dave perry

Default gnome3 crash at login

The following gnome3 crash occurs when attempting to log in to my
personal account. Gnome3 presents the log-in screen with my user name
selected. When I enter my password and press enter, the crash occurs.

On screen I see a frowning monitor and

Oh no! Something has gone wrong.

A problem has occurred and the system can't recover.
Please log out and try again.

Since I can still log in to other accounts, I assume there is something
causing the crash in one of the hidden files or folders. This began to
happen a few weeks ago after a "yum update".

Where to begin to isolate what changed?

Old 05-03-2012, 07:00 AM
Antonio M

The following gnome3 crash occurs when attempting to log in to my personal account. *Gnome3 presents the log-in screen with my user name selected. *When I enter my password and press enter, the crash occurs.

On screen I see a frowning monitor and

Oh no! *Something has gone wrong.

A problem has occurred and the system can't recover.

Please log out and try again.

Since I can still log in to other accounts, I assume there is something causing the crash in one of the hidden files or folders. *This began to happen a few weeks ago after a "yum update".

Where to begin to isolate what changed?

try to disable selinux with selinux=0 at boot-time and see what happens
--
Antonio Montagnani
Skype : amontag52

Linux Fedora 16 Verne

Old 05-03-2012, 01:10 PM
Daniel J Walsh

Old 05-04-2012, 10:32 AM
dave perry

The following gnome3 crash occurs when attempting to log in to my
personal account. Gnome3 presents the log-in screen with my user name
selected. When I enter my password and press enter, the crash occurs.

On screen I see a frowning monitor and

Oh no! Something has gone wrong.

A problem has occurred and the system can't recover.
Please log out and try again.

Since I can still log in to other accounts, I assume there is something
causing the crash in one of the hidden files or folders. This began to
happen a few weeks ago after a "yum update".

Where to begin to isolate what changed?
By backing up all the hidden files, then deleting all the hidden files
and bringing them back in a few at a time and logging out and back into
this account until the crash occurred, I isolated the problem to a
library path export in .bashrc. See the inserted copy that follows.

# .bashrc

# Source global definitions
if [ -f /etc/bashrc ]; then
. /etc/bashrc
fi

# User specific aliases and functions
export FG_ROOT=/home/dad/FlightGear-git/fgdata
export
FG_SCENERY=/home/dad/FlightGear-git/fgdata/Scenery:/home/dad/TerraSync

export HG2_DATA_PATH=/usr/local/games/hg2
#export
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib:/usr/local/lib:/usr/local/lib/osgPlugins:/usr/local/lib64:/usr/lib64

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib:/usr/local/lib:/usr/local/lib/osgPlugins
export
PATH=$PATH:/sbin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/share/OpenSceneGraph/bin:$JAVA_HOME/bin:/usr/include

The commented out export LD_LIBRARY_PATH causes gnome3 to crash

The next line is a copy of that line w/o reference to the lib64
libraries and this does not cause gnome3 to crash. This is clearly a
bug that was introduces a week or so ago by an update.

I should have mentioned this is FC16 x86_64 fresh install from the DVD
iso that has been been kept up-to-date with yum.

Old 05-04-2012, 04:49 PM
Joe Zeff