Old 05-01-2012, 03:44 PM
gary artim

Default xfs on nfs, directory listing.

wondering if anyone has tried xfs filesystem under nfs and found that
ls, dir, ll, etc commands get starved (sometime 20..30 seconds) when
the nic is saturated with data. Maybe I'm answering my question within
the question, but worried that a loaded nfs could make ls very slow to
respond, any suggestions or experience tuning with this? thanks!

Old 05-07-2012, 01:52 PM
Ian Chapman

wondering if anyone has tried xfs filesystem under nfs and found that
ls, dir, ll, etc commands get starved (sometime 20..30 seconds) when
the nic is saturated with data. Maybe I'm answering my question within
the question, but worried that a loaded nfs could make ls very slow to
respond, any suggestions or experience tuning with this? thanks!

I haven't seen this with XFS specifically exported over NFS, just NFS on
Linux in general. Try copying something like a 50GB file over NFS to a
directory, then do an ls on that same directory. It can be very slow,
even though doing an ls in another directory on the same NFS export is
quick.

--
Ian Chapman.