Old 04-30-2012, 03:32 PM
"T.C. Hollingsworth"

Default Printing advice

On Sun, Apr 29, 2012 at 9:52 PM, Roelof 'Ben' Kusters <web@bentrein.com> wrote:
> Would anyone be able to advise me regarding what printer to buy?
> Requirements are:
>
> - Can print A3 (29.7 x 42 cm, 11.6 x 16.5 inch) (and A4) sized paper.
> - Scores 'good' on a price/quality ratio; meaning not
> super-high-professional-quality but good enough for a small office where the
> primary function is NOT printing; for the office that is, the printer's
> primary function is obvious...
> - Is supported by Fedora. I have (good) experiences with Epson and HP, but I
> am hoping for some input from people with (more) experience.

You can shop around for the printer(s) you want and then check here to
see if it is well supported on Linux:
http://www.openprinting.org/printers

The database categorizes printers as working "perfectly", "mostly",
"partially", or "paperweight" so you'll be able to easily tell if the
one you want is well supported.

-T.C.

Old 04-30-2012, 10:22 PM
Mark LaPierre

Would anyone be able to advise me regarding what printer to buy?
Requirements are:

- Can print A3 (29.7 x 42 cm, 11.6 x 16.5 inch) (and A4) sized paper.
- Scores 'good' on a price/quality ratio; meaning not
super-high-professional-quality but good enough for a small office where
the primary function is NOT printing; for the office that is, the
printer's primary function is obvious...
- Is supported by Fedora. I have (good) experiences with Epson and HP,
but I am hoping for some input from people with (more) experience.

I've been using Samsung products for a long time. They were among the
first to support Linux. Their products are inexpensive to purchase and
their supplies are affordable as well.

Some of the more snooty don't like them because the don't issue "open
source" drivers.

--
_
/(_)

Old 05-01-2012, 12:08 AM
Jim

Would anyone be able to advise me regarding what printer to buy?
Requirements are:

- Can print A3 (29.7 x 42 cm, 11.6 x 16.5 inch) (and A4) sized paper.
- Scores 'good' on a price/quality ratio; meaning not
super-high-professional-quality but good enough for a small office where
the primary function is NOT printing; for the office that is, the
printer's primary function is obvious...
- Is supported by Fedora. I have (good) experiences with Epson and HP,
but I am hoping for some input from people with (more) experience.

I've been using Samsung products for a long time. They were among the
first to support Linux. Their products are inexpensive to purchase
and their supplies are affordable as well.

Some of the more snooty don't like them because the don't issue "open
source" drivers.

I have a Samsung CLX3175FN Laser , Driver CLX3170 series from Samsung
Download site.
It worked great up to Fedora 15 not in F16, F17 I was told something in
F16 change and it won't print. The driver that Samsung presently has
does not work .