Old 04-30-2012, 12:06 AM
jonetsu

Default Japanese keyboard: Fedora 15 KDE

Hello all,

I've seen a few softwares around to have some kind of keyboard able
to either input romanji based (hiragana based ?) characters or to draw
kanji, but these software seems to be age-old and not maintained
anymore, like anthy. What is the preferred way to be able to use
Japanese characters in Fedora 15 with KDE ?

Thanks.

Old 04-30-2012, 12:14 AM
nomnex

> On Sun, 29 Apr 2012 20:06:50 -0400
> jonetsu <jonetsu@teksavvy.com> wrote:

> I've seen a few softwares around to have some kind of keyboard able
> to either input romanji based (hiragana based ?) characters or to draw
> kanji, but these software seems to be age-old and not maintained
> anymore, like anthy. What is the preferred way to be able to use
> Japanese characters in Fedora 15 with KDE ?

I use i-bus mozc, it is in the fedora repo.

--
nomnex <nomnex@gmail.com>
Freenode: nomnex

Old 04-30-2012, 12:17 AM
jonetsu

On Sun, 29 Apr 2012 20:06:50 -0400,
jonetsu <jonetsu@teksavvy.com> wrote :

> I've seen a few softwares around to have some kind of keyboard able
> to either input romanji based (hiragana based ?) characters or to draw
> kanji, but these software seems to be age-old and not maintained
> anymore, like anthy. What is the preferred way to be able to use
> Japanese characters in Fedora 15 with KDE ?

I do have the following packages installed, but do not know how to use
them in KDE (nor Gnome for that matter) :

anthy-9100h-16.fc15.x86_64
ibus-anthy-1.2.7-1.fc15.x86_64

Old 04-30-2012, 12:20 AM
Ed Greshko

On 04/30/2012 08:17 AM, jonetsu wrote:
> I do have the following packages installed, but do not know how to use
> them in KDE (nor Gnome for that matter) :
>
> anthy-9100h-16.fc15.x86_64
> ibus-anthy-1.2.7-1.fc15.x86_64

You will need, at a minimum, ibus and ibus-anthy installed.

Then run im-chooser and select IBus as your input method. This is preferred over
scim these days.

Ed

of the century. -- Dame Edna Everage

Old 04-30-2012, 12:21 AM
jonetsu

Le Mon, 30 Apr 2012 09:14:30 +0900,
nomnex <nomnex@gmail.com> a écrit :

> > On Sun, 29 Apr 2012 20:06:50 -0400
> > jonetsu <jonetsu@teksavvy.com> wrote:
>
> > I've seen a few softwares around to have some kind of keyboard
> > able to either input romanji based (hiragana based ?) characters or
> > to draw kanji, but these software seems to be age-old and not
> > maintained anymore, like anthy. What is the preferred way to be
> > able to use Japanese characters in Fedora 15 with KDE ?
>
> I use i-bus mozc, it is in the fedora repo.

The following is installed:

mozc-1.4.1033.102-1.fc15.x86_64
scim-mozc-1.4.1033.102-1.fc15.x86_64

I'm using KDE. How is Japanese text entered using mozc ?

Thanks.

Old 04-30-2012, 12:25 AM
jonetsu

On Sun, 29 Apr 2012 20:21:40 -0400,
jonetsu <jonetsu@teksavvy.com> wrote :

> The following is installed:
>
> mozc-1.4.1033.102-1.fc15.x86_64
> scim-mozc-1.4.1033.102-1.fc15.x86_64
>
> I'm using KDE. How is Japanese text entered using mozc ?

Also the following is installed:

ibus-mozc-1.4.1033.102-1.fc15.x86_64
ibus-qt.x86_64

Somewhere in the KDE system configuration menus for the keyboard it is
mentioned that Alt-Space triggers keyboard modes, but it seemingly had
no effect.

Old 04-30-2012, 12:34 AM
jonetsu

On Mon, 30 Apr 2012 08:20:57 +0800,
Ed Greshko <Ed.Greshko@greshko.com> wrote :

> On 04/30/2012 08:17 AM, jonetsu wrote:
> > I do have the following packages installed, but do not know how to
> > use them in KDE (nor Gnome for that matter) :
> >
> > anthy-9100h-16.fc15.x86_64
> > ibus-anthy-1.2.7-1.fc15.x86_64
>
> You will need, at a minimum, ibus and ibus-anthy installed.
>
> Then run im-chooser and select IBus as your input method. This is
> preferred over scim these days.

OK, I see. It's getting somewhere. I've added Japanese (Japanese,
Kana, Kana 86) and it asks me to restart ibus. I've sent the
ibus daemon a HUP signal. But all choices in im-chooser are greyed out.
It does not seem possible to choose any other input at all.

Old 04-30-2012, 12:35 AM
Ed Greshko

On 04/30/2012 08:34 AM, jonetsu wrote:
> OK, I see. It's getting somewhere. I've added Japanese (Japanese,
> Kana, Kana 86) and it asks me to restart ibus. I've sent the
> ibus daemon a HUP signal. But all choices in im-chooser are greyed out.
> It does not seem possible to choose any other input at all.

I use IBus, but I'm now on F16. I think the GUI is the same..... So....

You should now have a "Keyboard icon" on your taskbar. (I use KDE language...GNOME
should be the same.)

Right Click on the icon and pick "Preferences". Then go to the "Input Method" Tab
and select and Input Method and "Add" it to the list of available input methods.

of the century. -- Dame Edna Everage

Old 04-30-2012, 12:45 AM
jonetsu

On Mon, 30 Apr 2012 08:35:02 +0800,
Ed Greshko <Ed.Greshko@greshko.com> wrote :

> On 04/30/2012 08:34 AM, jonetsu wrote:
> > OK, I see. It's getting somewhere. I've added Japanese (Japanese,
> > Kana, Kana 86) and it asks me to restart ibus. I've sent the
> > ibus daemon a HUP signal. But all choices in im-chooser are greyed
> > out. It does not seem possible to choose any other input at all.
>
> I use IBus, but I'm now on F16. I think the GUI is the same.....
> So....
>
> You should now have a "Keyboard icon" on your taskbar. (I use KDE
> language...GNOME should be the same.)
>
> Right Click on the icon and pick "Preferences". Then go to the
> "Input Method" Tab and select and Input Method and "Add" it to the
> list of available input methods.

OK, got it. Japanese (kana) is chosen. Keyboard is jp(kana). But
still, looks like and types like the same keyboard as usual.

カテタチトスカンイシ

Old 04-30-2012, 12:55 AM
Ed Greshko

On 04/30/2012 08:45 AM, jonetsu wrote:
> OK, got it. Japanese (kana) is chosen. Keyboard is jp(kana). But
> still, looks like and types like the same keyboard as usual.
>
> カテタチトスカンイシ

Unless you have a real Japanese keyboard there is no need to change the keyboard type.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean....but let me give an example. Let's say you want
to type "Shibuya".

Using a konsole or terminal application.....

You'd activate the Anthy input method. Then you'd type "shibuya". You'd see シブヤ
outlined in white. Then you'd hit the space bar and you'd see 渋谷 with a white
background. If that is what you want you hit return. If you are not happy with the
selection you hit the space bar again and will get a dialog box with choices.

Does that help?

of the century. -- Dame Edna Everage