Old 04-29-2012, 12:40 AM
Ed Greshko

Default Odd email errors

On 04/29/2012 08:17 AM, Ashley M. Kirchner wrote:

> Anyone here seen these before? It seems some e-mails are getting through and
> others aren't, and those that don't produce this error:
>
> ----- Transcript of session follows -----
> 550 5.1.2<kirash4@gmail.com>... Host unknown (Name server:
> alt4.gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com.: host not found)

Only on a DNS lookup failure.....

egreshko@meimei xorg.conf.d]$ host alt4.gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com
alt4.gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com has address 173.194.73.26

of the century. -- Dame Edna Everage

Old 04-29-2012, 02:57 AM
"Ashley M. Kirchner"

On 04/29/2012 08:17 AM, Ashley M. Kirchner wrote:

Anyone here seen these before? It seems some e-mails are getting through and
others aren't, and those that don't produce this error:

550 5.1.2<kirash4@gmail.com>... Host unknown (Name server:
alt4.gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com.: host not found)

Only on a DNS lookup failure.....

egreshko@meimei xorg.conf.d]$ host alt4.gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com
alt4.gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com has address 173.194.73.26

That's the odd part. The server that's producing those errors CAN
resolve that host just fine. Note, that hostname has several round
robin IPs, except I have not been able to get the .73.26 one that you
came up with:

[1] 20:54:28 <kirash@ivanhoe:~> host alt4.gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com
alt4.gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com has address 173.194.67.27
[2] 20:54:30 <kirash@ivanhoe:~> host alt4.gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com
alt4.gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com has address 173.194.67.26
[3] 20:54:31 <kirash@ivanhoe:~> host alt4.gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com
alt4.gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com has address 173.194.66.26

Old 04-29-2012, 03:07 AM
Ed Greshko

On 04/29/2012 10:57 AM, Ashley M. Kirchner wrote:
> That's the odd part. The server that's producing those errors CAN resolve that
> host just fine. Note, that hostname has several round robin IPs, except I have not
> been able to get the .73.26 one that you came up with:

Well, while it "can" at the moment you've tired it, the problem may be transient.

of the century. -- Dame Edna Everage

Old 04-29-2012, 07:05 PM
James Wilkinson

Ashley M. Kirchner wrote:
> That's the odd part. The server that's producing those errors
> CAN resolve that host just fine. Note, that hostname has several
> round robin IPs, except I have not been able to get the .73.26 one
> that you came up with:

There are a whole load of weird things that can be done with DNS,
including returning different IP addresses to servers in different parts
of the world so most people get IP addresses that are relatively close
to them. If the servers send and receive a lot of traffic (and this IS
Gmail we’re talking about), not using intercontinental bandwidth
unnecessarily can keep Google’s bandwidth bill down.

Hope this helps,

James.

--
E-mail: james@ | "I would like to apologise to the relatives of the fan
aprilcottage.co.uk | who gave me 29 books to sign in Odyssey 7, Manchester.