Old 04-28-2012, 12:17 AM
Todd Zullinger

Default Syncing with MTP devices

Tom Horsley wrote:

On Fri, 27 Apr 2012 18:07:41 -0430 Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:

Ironically, one of my reasons for moving from iPhone to Android was
the hope of better Linux support ...

Personally, I use wi-fi and rsync with my android. There is an rsyn
app available for android.

Indeed. The MTP support in linux pretty much sucks. If it was the
only option, I'm sure more of us would try to work on improving it.
But, like Tom, I just use other methods of transfering files. I
installed QuickSSHd on my Galaxy Nexus and use sshfs and rsync for
most of my syncing.

The thread I'd point at for various options is:

http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/users/2012-March/415247.html

but I see that Patrick commented in that thread, so I wouldn't be
telling him anything new.

It would be nice if the default tools worked better out of the box.
But I'm not sure that MTP is better than the various wireless options
available, even if it worked perfectly. At least not for me.

Old 04-28-2012, 02:48 AM
Patrick O'Callaghan

On Fri, 2012-04-27 at 20:17 -0400, Todd Zullinger wrote:
> Tom Horsley wrote:
> > On Fri, 27 Apr 2012 18:07:41 -0430 Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> >
> >> Ironically, one of my reasons for moving from iPhone to Android was
> >> the hope of better Linux support ...
> >
> > Personally, I use wi-fi and rsync with my android. There is an rsyn
> > app available for android.
>
> Indeed. The MTP support in linux pretty much sucks. If it was the
> only option, I'm sure more of us would try to work on improving it.
> But, like Tom, I just use other methods of transfering files. I
> installed QuickSSHd on my Galaxy Nexus and use sshfs and rsync for
> most of my syncing.

Thanks Todd (and Tom). Looks like MTP is not worth the effort for now. I
guess I'll try one of the WiFi options.

> The thread I'd point at for various options is:
>
> http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/users/2012-March/415247.html
>
> but I see that Patrick commented in that thread, so I wouldn't be
> telling him anything new.

I did comment, but at the time it seemed that MTP was working for me
(the music already on my phone proves it), and now it really isn't.

> It would be nice if the default tools worked better out of the box.
> But I'm not sure that MTP is better than the various wireless options
> available, even if it worked perfectly. At least not for me.

I guess if it worked it would be better integrated with the Linux music
players, e.g. more automatic syncing etc. Maybe some future version will
work better.

Thanks again.

poc

Old 04-28-2012, 05:29 AM
Patrick O'Callaghan

On Fri, 2012-04-27 at 20:17 -0400, Todd Zullinger wrote:
> Tom Horsley wrote:
> > On Fri, 27 Apr 2012 18:07:41 -0430 Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> >
> >> Ironically, one of my reasons for moving from iPhone to Android was
> >> the hope of better Linux support ...
> >
> > Personally, I use wi-fi and rsync with my android. There is an rsyn
> > app available for android.
>
> Indeed. The MTP support in linux pretty much sucks. If it was the
> only option, I'm sure more of us would try to work on improving it.
> But, like Tom, I just use other methods of transfering files. I
> installed QuickSSHd on my Galaxy Nexus and use sshfs and rsync for
> most of my syncing.

Installed the free SSHDroid and it worked (after a good deal of futzing
around with the SSH login). However the new music didn't show up in any
music apps on the phone. Then I had a brainwave and installed SDrescan,
which forces a rescan of the /sdcard filesystem, and lo! it now works.

Presumably this is something else an MTP connection would take care of,
but never mind.

poc