Old 04-27-2012, 08:54 PM
Reindl Harald

Default "No driver found" when installing F14 to a 2TB drive using netinstall

damned do not top-post if all other answers are on bottom
fixed -> scroll down please

Am 27.04.2012 22:42, schrieb Adam Zilkie:
> I need F14... upgrading to a new OS is not an option as I'm in an embedded environment
> and we've committed to F14.
>
> Adam Zilkie
> Software Developer, Embedded Software Group
> International Datacasting Corporation
> tel: (613) 596-2400 ext. 2244

in other words you have made a major mistake by using a distribution with
upgrades every 6 months by not thinking about what this means within
a year and now you are putting your head in the sand

and please do not tell me about "embedded environment" since two days ago
our router (which was EOL after 2 years, thank you bintec) was killed
by anonymous - this happens if vendors are not thinking what effect their
wrong decisions will have for endusers

Old 04-27-2012, 08:57 PM
Reindl Harald

Am 27.04.2012 22:48, schrieb Mike Wright:
> On 04/27/2012 01:32 PM, Reindl Harald wrote:

>>> Gnome 3? hahaha. Now laugh, Reindl
>>
>> i am KDE user
>
> Starting to sound like a smart choice.
>

>> don't get me wrong - installing a non supported OS these
>> days is simply idiotic - please do not connect it to the
>> internet because infected machines are typically used
>> to attack machines from people who care about security
>>
>> what is your plan?
>> staying at F14 forever?
>>
>> GNOME2 will never come back - switch to another DE
>> or install CentOS to have some years a GNOME2 OS with
>> security updates
>
> Please do chill out, Reindl. I'm about as paranoid as they come and do not take security mindlessly. Using a
> system with which I am unfamiliar and whose new control systems baffle me would seem to make me a major candidate
> as a target by those more familiar with it than I.

the core-system is exactly the same, systemd is no rocket science
making no upgrade and run a KNOWN vulnerable system because
fear you could make a mistake with the new one is the wrong way

you are still making the mistake by install a vulnerable system

and yes, i am a little bit sensible since many of the attacks
in the last months and especially last days coming from poorly
maintained machines all over the wolrd and nobdy pays me my lifetime
wasting with such issues caused by others

Old 04-27-2012, 09:06 PM
Mike Wright

[...]

Says who, Werner von Braun?

I've been trying to get vnc geometry working within the systemctl
methodology for two days. LOL

Signed, not a rocket scientist. as always, thank you.

Old 04-27-2012, 09:09 PM
jdow

OK. How far down?

{O.o} You are getting silly, ya know.

Old 04-27-2012, 09:18 PM
jdow

[...]

Now that you've had your rant, he is talking an embedded system. Remember
that when you contemplate the following. Suppose for a moment that this
is a theatrical lighting console application. (I know of at least one that
runs Linux underneath.) It won't be connected to the Internet, at least
not directly. If the theater's system architect has the brains God gave
a toad or if he's been reading the right lists he'll know to put the
theatrical control Ethernet on its own wires or at least its own virtual
network if glitches can be tolerated. One node would provide for the
business office monitoring of the network with a strong firewall running
on a machine running no services.

So the machine would be adequately safe even if it was running Hurricane
or some other horrrrribly old distribution.

So while they might have done better picking Centos of some vintage the
degree to which it would be better for the cited application is too small
to sweat.

PS: You're so overwrought by the top posting or something you've forgotten
how to spell there at the end, "wolrd" and "nobdy". Calm down. The world is
not ending.

{^_^}

Old 04-27-2012, 09:22 PM
Mike Wright