Old 04-27-2012, 08:32 PM
Reindl Harald

Default "No driver found" when installing F14 to a 2TB drive using netinstall

Am 27.04.2012 22:29, schrieb Mike Wright:
> On 04/27/2012 01:11 PM, Reindl Harald wrote:
>>

>> Am 27.04.2012 22:05, schrieb Adam Zilkie:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I am getting the following error message during my F14 installation:
>>>
>>> “No driver found”
>>>
>>> “Unable to find any devices of the type needed for this installation type. Would you like to manually select your
>>> driver or use a driver disk?”
>>
>> why in the world are you installing NOW Fedora 14 which is
>> EOL, get no longer any security updates and even Fedora 15
>
> Gnome 3? hahaha. Now laugh, Reindl

i am KDE user

don't get me wrong - installing a non supported OS these
days is simply idiotic - please do not connect it to the
internet because infected machines are typically used
to attack machines from people who care about security

what is your plan?
staying at F14 forever?

GNOME2 will never come back - switch to another DE
or install CentOS to have some years a GNOME2 OS with
security updates

Old 04-27-2012, 08:42 PM
Adam Zilkie

I need F14... upgrading to a new OS is not an option as I'm in an embedded environment and we've committed to F14.

Adam Zilkie
Software Developer, Embedded Software Group
International Datacasting Corporation

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 7092 (20120427) __________

http://www.eset.com

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 7092 (20120427) __________

http://www.eset.com

This message, and the documents attached hereto, is intended only for the addressee and may contain privileged or confidential information. Any unauthorized disclosure is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please notify us immediately so that we may correct our internal records. Please then delete the original message. Thank you.

Old 04-27-2012, 08:48 PM
Mike Wright

I am getting the following error message during my F14 installation:

“No driver found”

“Unable to find any devices of the type needed for this installation type. Would you like to manually select your
driver or use a driver disk?”

why in the world are you installing NOW Fedora 14 which is
EOL, get no longer any security updates and even Fedora 15

Gnome 3? hahaha. Now laugh, Reindl

i am KDE user

Starting to sound like a smart choice.

don't get me wrong - installing a non supported OS these
days is simply idiotic - please do not connect it to the
internet because infected machines are typically used
to attack machines from people who care about security

what is your plan?
staying at F14 forever?

GNOME2 will never come back - switch to another DE
or install CentOS to have some years a GNOME2 OS with
security updates

Please do chill out, Reindl. I'm about as paranoid as they come and do
not take security mindlessly. Using a system with which I am unfamiliar
and whose new control systems baffle me would seem to make me a major
candidate as a target by those more familiar with it than I.

Regardless, I always appreciate your help.

Thank you,
Mike Wright

Old 04-27-2012, 10:54 PM
Alan Cox

On Fri, 27 Apr 2012 20:42:24 +0000
Adam Zilkie <AZilkie@datacast.com> wrote:

> I need F14... upgrading to a new OS is not an option as I'm in an embedded environment and we've committed to F14.

Then you may well be screwed. The usual reason the drive isn't found is
that your hardware is too new for the OS version and it doesn't know the
PCI identifiers. As F14 won't be upgraded you'll need to build yourself
various new components at which point it's not FC14.

You might be able to get stuff to work if the problem is a new
motherboard type which defaults to the disk in legacy mode. If you have a
BIOS or EFI option to put the disk controller it in AHCI mode that may do
the trick.

You'll still need to replace various packages for security reasons so
you'll end up with something that isn't FC14. It's a meaningless
definition anyway, count how many packages in FC14 as released are the
same in FC14 when it was end of life .. so staying with an FC14 release
even over its lifetime is in all but name little different to changing
release.

This is why for most product you really don't want to be using Fedora and
someone probably goofed in deciding to do so, as you'll now need to
actively track and fix all the known relevant security holes in packages
used in your deployment. That's a lot of manpower compared with using a
distro that does the work for you!

Alan