Old 04-27-2012, 08:05 PM
Mike Wright

Default systemctl question

Hi all,

While trying to get vncserver working I found this within

/lib/systemd/system/vncserver@.service file.

/usr/bin/vncserver %i

What is %i?

Can anybody explain from where this syntax derives?

TIA (and befuddled, meanwhile ,
Mike Wright

Old 04-27-2012, 08:11 PM
Richard Shaw

On Fri, Apr 27, 2012 at 3:05 PM, Mike Wright <mike.wright@mailinator.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> While trying to get vncserver working I found this within
>
> * */lib/systemd/system/vncserver@.service file.
>
> * * * */usr/bin/vncserver %i
>
> What is %i?
>
> Can anybody explain from where this syntax derives?

It appears the "@" allows the service to run multiple instances, which
I can see as a good thing for vnc. In order to start the service I
think you'll need to name your instance, i.e.:

systemctl start vncserver@<my_instance_designator>.service

and the "%i" will resolve to your instance designator.

Or that's what this link[1] said

Richard

http://superuser.com/questions/393423/the-symbol-and-systemctl-and-vsftpd

Old 04-27-2012, 08:35 PM
Mike Wright

While trying to get vncserver working I found this within

/lib/systemd/system/vncserver@.service file.

/usr/bin/vncserver %i

What is %i?

Can anybody explain from where this syntax derives?

It appears the "@" allows the service to run multiple instances, which
I can see as a good thing for vnc. In order to start the service I
think you'll need to name your instance, i.e.:

systemctl start vncserver@<my_instance_designator>.service

and the "%i" will resolve to your instance designator.

Or that's what this link[1] said

However did you find that? I do thank you for that bit of obscurity.
Too bad it's not in the man page.

Old 04-28-2012, 03:20 PM
Bill Davidsen

Richard Shaw wrote:

While trying to get vncserver working I found this within

/lib/systemd/system/vncserver@.service file.

/usr/bin/vncserver %i

What is %i?

Can anybody explain from where this syntax derives?

It appears the "@" allows the service to run multiple instances, which
I can see as a good thing for vnc. In order to start the service I
think you'll need to name your instance, i.e.:

systemctl start vncserver@<my_instance_designator>.service

and the "%i" will resolve to your instance designator.

Or that's what this link[1] said

Thanks for finding that obscure reference. Pity it isn't in the man page where
mere mortals could find it. :-(

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>