Old 04-26-2012, 05:06 AM
"T.C. Hollingsworth"

Default activate a service?

On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 2:33 PM, Mike Wright <mike.wright@mailinator.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Just installed f16.
>
> I've seen this answered before but I can't find it anywhere.
>
> After installing tigervnc-server
>
> /lib/systemd/system/vncserver@.service arrived.
>
> None of the old chkconfig/service stuff seems to works anymore.
>
> Shortcut: how do I turn this on?
>
> Best answer: where are the docs?

At the top of /lib/systemd/system/vncserver@.service. ;-)

# The vncserver service unit file
#
# Quick HowTo:
# 1. Copy this file to /etc/systemd/system/vncserver@:<display>.service
# 2. Edit <USER> and vncserver parameters appropriately
# ("runuser -l <USER> -c /usr/bin/vncserver %i -arg1 -arg2")
# 3. Run `systemctl daemon-reload`
#
# DO NOT RUN THIS SERVICE if your local area network is
# untrusted! For a secure way of using VNC, you should
# limit connections to the local host and then tunnel from
# the machine you want to view VNC on (host A) to the machine
# whose VNC output you want to view (host B)
#
# [user@hostA ~]$ ssh -v -C -L 590N:localhost:590M hostB
#
# this will open a connection on port 590N of your hostA to hostB's port 590M
# (in fact, it ssh-connects to hostB and then connects to localhost (on hostB).
# See the ssh man page for details on port forwarding)
#
# You can then point a VNC client on hostA at vncdisplay N of localhost and with
# the help of ssh, you end up seeing what hostB makes available on port 590M
#
# Use "-nolisten tcp" to prevent X connections to your VNC server via TCP.
#
# Use "-localhost" to prevent remote VNC clients connecting except when
# doing so through a secure tunnel. See the "-via" option in the
# `man vncviewer' manual page.

-T.C.

Old 04-26-2012, 07:04 AM
Scott Doty

On 04/25/2012 10:06 PM, T.C. Hollingsworth wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 2:33 PM, Mike Wright <mike.wright@mailinator.com> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Just installed f16.
>>
>> I've seen this answered before but I can't find it anywhere.
>>
>> After installing tigervnc-server
>>
>> /lib/systemd/system/vncserver@.service arrived.
>>
>> None of the old chkconfig/service stuff seems to works anymore.
>>
>> Shortcut: how do I turn this on?
>>
>> Best answer: where are the docs?
> At the top of /lib/systemd/system/vncserver@.service. ;-)
>
> # The vncserver service unit file
> #
> # Quick HowTo:
> # 1. Copy this file to /etc/systemd/system/vncserver@:<display>.service
> # 2. Edit <USER> and vncserver parameters appropriately
> # ("runuser -l <USER> -c /usr/bin/vncserver %i -arg1 -arg2")
> # 3. Run `systemctl daemon-reload`
> #
> # DO NOT RUN THIS SERVICE if your local area network is
> # untrusted! For a secure way of using VNC, you should
> # limit connections to the local host and then tunnel from
> # the machine you want to view VNC on (host A) to the machine
> # whose VNC output you want to view (host B)
> #
> # [user@hostA ~]$ ssh -v -C -L 590N:localhost:590M hostB
> #
> # this will open a connection on port 590N of your hostA to hostB's port 590M
> # (in fact, it ssh-connects to hostB and then connects to localhost (on hostB).
> # See the ssh man page for details on port forwarding)
> #
> # You can then point a VNC client on hostA at vncdisplay N of localhost and with
> # the help of ssh, you end up seeing what hostB makes available on port 590M
> #
> # Use "-nolisten tcp" to prevent X connections to your VNC server via TCP.
> #
> # Use "-localhost" to prevent remote VNC clients connecting except when
> # doing so through a secure tunnel. See the "-via" option in the
> # `man vncviewer' manual page.
>
> -T.C.

It looks like it should say "Where 'M' is the remote vnc display number,
and 'N' is where you would like the local vnc display to appear on your
local system."

Or something along those lines.

-Scott