Old 04-26-2012, 03:25 AM

Default xorg (screen resolution) in F14

For reasons that I don't need to go into here, I keep copies of
Fedora F6, F11, and F14 on different partitions of a disk. I will
be adding F16 to this collection in the next few weeks.

But, in looking at my F14 installation, I note an X11 problem.
Im not sure who is maintaining the Feodra X11 these days
so Ill ask the question here.

My xorg.conf is the same for all of these installations, and the
mode line reads

Modes "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"

and older X11s chooses the "1280x1024" resolution as my default.

In F14 it chooses "1024x768" which screws up the screen organization
for testing software.

Now some quick experiments show that if I connect the monitor
directly to the computer (rather than thru the kvm), this works
fine with F14. So it is the kvm that is causing the problem. But the
kvm is too dumb to program in any other manner, so the question
is, is there a way to FORCE F14 to use the mode I want, or to SET
whatever variable it is using to determine that the higher resolution
is acceptable?

I have tried a few things (like only one thing on the Modes line) with
no success, so I'm looking for someone who knows more about the
internals of X11 than I do.
--
Reg.Clemens
reg@dwf.com

Old 04-26-2012, 03:46 AM
JD

[...]

Take a look at the the manufacturer's specs of your KVM
to see what resolutions it supports.

Old 04-26-2012, 04:04 AM

> On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 9:25 PM, <reg@dwf.com> wrote:
>

> > For reasons that I don't need to go into here, I keep copies of
> > Fedora F6, F11, and F14 on different partitions of a disk. I will
> > be adding F16 to this collection in the next few weeks.
> >
> > But, in looking at my F14 installation, I note an X11 problem.
> > Im not sure who is maintaining the Feodra X11 these days
> > so Ill ask the question here.
> >
> > My xorg.conf is the same for all of these installations, and the
> > mode line reads
> >
> > Modes "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
> >
> > and older X11s chooses the "1280x1024" resolution as my default.
> >
> > In F14 it chooses "1024x768" which screws up the screen organization
> > for testing software.
> >
> > Now some quick experiments show that if I connect the monitor
> > directly to the computer (rather than thru the kvm), this works
> > fine with F14. So it is the kvm that is causing the problem. But the
> > kvm is too dumb to program in any other manner, so the question
> > is, is there a way to FORCE F14 to use the mode I want, or to SET
> > whatever variable it is using to determine that the higher resolution
> > is acceptable?
> >
> > I have tried a few things (like only one thing on the Modes line) with
> > no success, so I'm looking for someone who knows more about the
> > internals of X11 than I do.
> >

> Take a look at the the manufacturer's specs of your KVM
> to see what resolutions it supports.

It supports up to 1600 by something, but appears to be responding
with something that makes X11 think 1024x
--
Reg.Clemens
reg@dwf.com

Old 04-26-2012, 04:07 AM
Ed Greshko

On 04/26/2012 12:04 PM, reg@dwf.com wrote:
>> Take a look at the the manufacturer's specs of your KVM
>> > to see what resolutions it supports.
>> >

> It supports up to 1600 by something, but appears to be responding
> with something that makes X11 think 1024x

Have you checked the output of xrandr for all versions of Fedora?

of the century. -- Dame Edna Everage

Old 04-26-2012, 10:31 AM
Patrick Lists

On 04/26/2012 05:25 AM, reg@dwf.com wrote:

My xorg.conf is the same for all of these installations, and the
mode line reads

Modes "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"

Have you tried just setting: Modes "1280x1024"?

Regards,
Patrick

Old 04-26-2012, 10:58 PM

> Have you tried just setting: Modes "1280x1024"?

That was one of my first experiments, it just ignores it.

>Have you checked the output of xrandr for all versions of Fedora?

This is interesting.
On F11 where things work fine, I see

[reg@deneb ~/Notes]$ xrandr
Screen 0: minimum 320 x 240, current 1280 x 1024, maximum 1280 x 1024
default connected 1280x1024+0+0 0mm x 0mm
1280x1024 50.0* 54.0
1024x768 51.0 57.0 58.0
800x600 52.0 60.0 61.0 62.0
640x480 53.0 65.0 66.0
1280x960 55.0
1152x864 56.0
832x624 59.0
700x525 63.0 64.0
512x384 67.0 68.0
400x300 69.0
320x240 70.0 71.0

which seems quite reasonable, while on F14 I see

[reg@deneb2 ~]$ xrandr
Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 1024 x 768, maximum 8192 x 8192
DVI-I-1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
VGA-1 connected 1024x768+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 0mm x
0mm
1024x768 60.0*
800x600 60.3 56.2
848x480 60.0