-   -   ACER N281G (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/659697-acer-n281g.html)

"Gregory P. Ennis" 04-25-2012 11:03 PM

ACER N281G

Everyone,

I picked up an ACER N281G that comes packed with linpus 3.0.0. It has a
a network connection, usb ports, and memory card reader, but no DVD. linpus is
supposed to be a Fedora based os, I would like to put F16 on this to see
if it will fly. I have never used a memory card reader to install an
os, nor a usb install, nor a network install. Any recommendations as to how to do this.

Greg Ennis

Davi Garcia 04-25-2012 11:18 PM

ACER N281G

Hey Greg,

On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 8:03 PM, Gregory P. Ennis <PoMec@pomec.net> wrote:
> I picked up an ACER N281G that comes packed with linpus 3.0.0. *It has a
> a network connection, usb ports, and memory card reader, but no DVD. * linpus is
> supposed to be a Fedora based os, I would like to put F16 on this to see
> if it will fly. *I have never used a memory card reader to install an
> os, nor a usb install, nor a network install. *Any recommendations as to how to do this.

Maybe this can help you:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_create_and_use_Live_USB

Regards,
Davi Garcia

Sam Varshavchik 04-25-2012 11:42 PM

ACER N281G

Davi Garcia writes:

Hey Greg,

On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 8:03 PM, Gregory P. Ennis <PoMec@pomec.net> wrote:
> I picked up an ACER N281G that comes packed with linpus 3.0.0. *It has a
> a network connection, usb ports, and memory card reader, but no DVD. *
linpus is

> supposed to be a Fedora based os, I would like to put F16 on this to see
> if it will fly. *I have never used a memory card reader to install an
> os, nor a usb install, nor a network install. *Any recommendations as to
how to do this.

Maybe this can help you:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_create_and_use_Live_USB

That.

Not familiar with that particular gadget, but, generally, for lightweight
laptops, go with the XFCE spin. In general, a Live image is a fairly low-
risk way to test if Fedora will grok the hardware. I picked up a second-hand
EEE 900, with the factory 500MB of RAM and a 4GB drive. Before plunking down
the cash for some reasonable amount of RAM and disk, I dumped an XFCE Live
image on a USB stick, and verified that the netbook can boot it, and that
Fedora sees all the hardware, and is generally usable.

Terry Polzin 04-26-2012 12:32 AM

ACER N281G

On Wed, 2012-04-25 at 18:03 -0500, Gregory P. Ennis wrote:
> Everyone,
>
> I picked up an ACER N281G that comes packed with linpus 3.0.0. It has a
> a network connection, usb ports, and memory card reader, but no DVD. linpus is
> supposed to be a Fedora based os, I would like to put F16 on this to see
> if it will fly. I have never used a memory card reader to install an
> os, nor a usb install, nor a network install. Any recommendations as to how to do this.
>
> Greg Ennis

USB external DVD device would work so long as you had enough power to
run it.

Elliott Chapin 04-26-2012 12:43 AM

ACER N281G

On 04/25/2012 08:32 PM, Terry Polzin wrote:
> On Wed, 2012-04-25 at 18:03 -0500, Gregory P. Ennis wrote:
>> Everyone,
>>
>> I picked up an ACER N281G that comes packed with linpus 3.0.0. It has a
>> a network connection, usb ports, and memory card reader, but no DVD. linpus is
>> supposed to be a Fedora based os, I would like to put F16 on this to see
>> if it will fly. I have never used a memory card reader to install an
>> os, nor a usb install, nor a network install. Any recommendations as to how to do this.
>>
>> Greg Ennis
>>

> USB external DVD device would work so long as you had enough power to
> run it.

USB hubs are cheap.

--
clients.teksavvy.com/~echapin

"Gregory P. Ennis" 04-26-2012 01:06 AM

ACER N281G

Davi Garcia writes:

> Hey Greg,
>
> On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 8:03 PM, Gregory P. Ennis <PoMec@pomec.net> wrote:
> > I picked up an ACER N281G that comes packed with linpus 3.0.0. It has a
> > a network connection, usb ports, and memory card reader, but no DVD.
> linpus is
> > supposed to be a Fedora based os, I would like to put F16 on this to see
> > if it will fly. I have never used a memory card reader to install an
> > os, nor a usb install, nor a network install. Any recommendations as to
> how to do this.
>
> Maybe this can help you:
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_create_and_use_Live_USB

That.

Not familiar with that particular gadget, but, generally, for lightweight
laptops, go with the XFCE spin. In general, a Live image is a fairly low-
risk way to test if Fedora will grok the hardware. I picked up a second-hand
EEE 900, with the factory 500MB of RAM and a 4GB drive. Before plunking down
the cash for some reasonable amount of RAM and disk, I dumped an XFCE Live
image on a USB stick, and verified that the netbook can boot it, and that
Fedora sees all the hardware, and is generally usable.

Thanks everyone, sure appreciate the starting place. I have some things
to study and to do.

Greg

Aaron Konstam 04-26-2012 01:37 PM

ACER N281G

On Wed, 2012-04-25 at 18:03 -0500, Gregory P. Ennis wrote:
> Everyone,
>
> I picked up an ACER N281G that comes packed with linpus 3.0.0. It has a
> a network connection, usb ports, and memory card reader, but no DVD. linpus is
> supposed to be a Fedora based os, I would like to put F16 on this to see
> if it will fly. I have never used a memory card reader to install an
> os, nor a usb install, nor a network install. Any recommendations as to how to do this.
>
> Greg Ennis

Goto unetbootin.sourceforge.net

and Download the unetbootin program. I should be at least unetbootin-568

This will allow you to download a copy of Live F16 onto a usb drive,

Boot from this usb drive and then choose the install F16 option (I am
not sure what its name really is but it is something like that) Then
upgrade using yum.

Just booting the Live usb version will tell you if F16 will work on the
hardware.

"Gregory P. Ennis" 04-29-2012 09:38 PM

ACER N281G

Hey Greg,

On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 8:03 PM, Gregory P. Ennis <PoMec@pomec.net> wrote:
> I picked up an ACER N281G that comes packed with linpus 3.0.0. It has a
> a network connection, usb ports, and memory card reader, but no DVD. linpus is
> supposed to be a Fedora based os, I would like to put F16 on this to see
> if it will fly. I have never used a memory card reader to install an
> os, nor a usb install, nor a network install. Any recommendations as to how to do this.

Maybe this can help you:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_create_and_use_Live_USB

Regards,
Davi Garcia

Thanks for everyone's help.

I was able to create a bootable usb memory stick with :

livecd-iso-to-disk --format --reset-mbr --msdos path-to/Fedora-*.iso /dev/sdb1

Unfortunately the F16 LiveCD would not work, but the F16 Fedora iso did
work. I was able to boot into fallback mode of gnome3 only.

the ACER N281G is a little slower than I expected, but will work fine
for my dev use. Only thing that I have not been able to activate is
the wireless. Still working on this.

Thanks again for your help!!!

Greg

Bill Davidsen 04-29-2012 09:57 PM

ACER N281G

Gregory P. Ennis wrote:

Everyone,

I picked up an ACER N281G that comes packed with linpus 3.0.0. It has a
a network connection, usb ports, and memory card reader, but no DVD. linpus is
supposed to be a Fedora based os, I would like to put F16 on this to see
if it will fly. I have never used a memory card reader to install an
os, nor a usb install, nor a network install. Any recommendations as to how to do this.

I know more about this than I want to, so here's what I have found:

1 - some BIOS will boot an ISO image off a USB flash. This is easy, you can copy
either a live-CD image or an install (4GB) image to you memory device with dd,
no magic needed.

2 - you can make a bootable memory device from an ISO image using unetbootln to
write an image to memory device, this has not failed for me with install DVD,
one live-CD didn't boot.

3 - you can use the livecd software, which is a family of programs to write
live-CD, bootable ISO images on memory devices, and the like. After you figure
out which one to use for what you want to do, it will probably work.

4 - With recent distributions, I have found that putting the 4G install DVD
memory device and trying to install to an unpartitioned drive (in my case new
SSD drives) results in a requirement for network access, which I couldn't give.
I wound up installing in a VM with raw disk image and copying that to the
internal drive from a live-CD boot which did work. This is not all cut and
dried, the BIOS involved is important, the distribution, etc.

Good luck.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>