Old 04-25-2012, 10:05 PM
linux guy

Default Which Windows for Virtual Box ? (F16, USB, etc)

I have a few proprietary Windows only applications that I need to run
from time to time. These applications require access to USB port
peripherals.

I'm running F16 on a Dell XPS17 i7, 16 GB, etc.

I'm hoping to get these applications running in Windows in VB.

Which version of Windows should I install ? Any other tips ?

Thanks !

Old 04-25-2012, 10:10 PM
Steven Stern

On 04/25/2012 05:05 PM, linux guy wrote:
> I have a few proprietary Windows only applications that I need to run
> from time to time. These applications require access to USB port
> peripherals.
>
> I'm running F16 on a Dell XPS17 i7, 16 GB, etc.
>
> I'm hoping to get these applications running in Windows in VB.
>
> Which version of Windows should I install ? Any other tips ?
>
> Thanks !

I'm using Windows XP in Virtual Box, mainly because I had a spare
license for it. I give it 1.0GB and it does OK.

Use VirtualBox from Oracle's repo, not the Fedora repos, so you can have
USB support.

--
-- Steve

Old 04-25-2012, 10:16 PM
linux guy

On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 4:10 PM, Steven Stern
<subscribed-lists@sterndata.com> wrote:

> I'm using Windows XP in Virtual Box, mainly because I had a spare
> license for it. *I give it 1.0GB *and it does OK.

Thanks for sharing that. I was leaning toward XP. Which version of XP ?

> Use VirtualBox from Oracle's repo, not the Fedora repos, so you can have
> USB support.

Please tell me more.

Old 04-25-2012, 10:17 PM
linux guy

From here: https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads

Old 04-25-2012, 10:22 PM
Steven Stern

On 04/25/2012 05:17 PM, linux guy wrote:
> From here: https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads
Scroll down to the very bottom for info about setting it up with Yum.

--
-- Steve

Old 04-25-2012, 10:25 PM
Steven Stern

On 04/25/2012 05:16 PM, linux guy wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 4:10 PM, Steven Stern
> <subscribed-lists@sterndata.com> wrote:
>
>> I'm using Windows XP in Virtual Box, mainly because I had a spare
>> license for it. I give it 1.0GB and it does OK.
>
> Thanks for sharing that. I was leaning toward XP. Which version of XP ?
>
>> Use VirtualBox from Oracle's repo, not the Fedora repos, so you can have
>> USB support.
>
> Please tell me more.

It's XP Pro. Back in the day, I bought a "partner" package for $400
from Microsoft because it gave me a bunch of licenses for XP, Office
2007 and, in fact, all Microsoft products including the various server
products. The reason I have the XP virtual machine is so I can use the
Office stuff when necessary and to be able to test websites with
Inertnet Explorer.

--
-- Steve

Old 04-26-2012, 09:10 PM
Kernel Guardian

I've tested all Windows versions from XP to Win 7 in virtual box.
don't have any problems with all of them.
Also under wine you can install ie6, ie7. sometime https doesn't work
well. ms office until 2007 version works well under wine also.
except access and visio. at least on my side.

Old 04-26-2012, 11:34 PM
Claude Jones

On 04/25/2012 06:10 PM, Steven Stern wrote:

I'm using Windows XP in Virtual Box, mainly because I had a spare
license for it. I give it 1.0GB and it does OK.

surely, you must mean 10GB - I just spent considerable time yesterday
struggling with space issues on two XP VMs that had been allotted 10 GB
- unless the OP is really struggling with space issues and is absolutely
certain they will never install much on their XP VMs, I would recommend
15 GB allocations - hard drive space is cheap

--
Claude Jones
Brunswick, MD, USA

Old 04-26-2012, 11:52 PM
"Mikkel L. Ellertson"

Old 04-27-2012, 12:54 PM
Steven Stern

On 04/26/2012 06:34 PM, Claude Jones wrote:
> On 04/25/2012 06:10 PM, Steven Stern wrote:
>> I'm using Windows XP in Virtual Box, mainly because I had a spare
>> license for it. I give it 1.0GB and it does OK.
>
> surely, you must mean 10GB - I just spent considerable time yesterday
> struggling with space issues on two XP VMs that had been allotted 10 GB
> - unless the OP is really struggling with space issues and is absolutely
> certain they will never install much on their XP VMs, I would recommend
> 15 GB allocations - hard drive space is cheap

1GB (memory) and 30GB (disk).

--
-- Steve