Old 04-07-2008, 05:58 PM
Chris Kottaridis

Default re-exporting an NFS filesystem

Is it possible to re-export an NFS file system ?

So, if I am a client with an NFS mount point, can I export that mount point and then have some other host nfs mount my mount point ?

I was pretty sure the answer is no, but I don't know why not. Is there some RFC somewhere that indicates that this is not part of NFS design to do that ?

Thanks

*** Chris Kottaridis*** (chriskot@quietwind.net)

Old 04-08-2008, 07:31 PM
Chris Snook

Chris Kottaridis wrote:

Is it possible to re-export an NFS file system ?

So, if I am a client with an NFS mount point, can I export that mount
point and then have some other host nfs mount my mount point ?

I was pretty sure the answer is no, but I don't know why not. Is there
some RFC somewhere that indicates that this is not part of NFS design to
do that ?

Re-exporting a filesystem introduces all sorts of nasty race conditions,
and handling correctly those which could hypothetically be addressed
with the current protocol would require a hideous tangled mass of
special cases, while still leaving some wide open. This is why the
kernel doesn't even attempt to do this.

NFSv4 has the notion of delegations, which may or may not do what you
want. Like all things NFSv4-related, it's more complicated than NFSv3,
but worth it if you really want to get it right.

-- Chris

Old 04-08-2008, 07:51 PM
"Alastair Neil"

2008/4/7 Chris Kottaridis <chriskot@quietwind.net>:

> Is it possible to re-export an NFS file system ?
>
> So, if I am a client with an NFS mount point, can I export that mount point
> and then have some other host nfs mount my mount point ?
>
> I was pretty sure the answer is no, but I don't know why not. Is there some
> RFC somewhere that indicates that this is not part of NFS design to do that
> ?
>
> Thanks
> Chris Kottaridis (chriskot@quietwind.net)

Not with the kernel nfs server, but I am told there are some user
space nfs servers that will let you do this. You can export the file
systems with samba and afp.

Old 04-08-2008, 08:05 PM
Chris Snook

Alastair Neil wrote:

Is it possible to re-export an NFS file system ?

So, if I am a client with an NFS mount point, can I export that mount point
and then have some other host nfs mount my mount point ?

I was pretty sure the answer is no, but I don't know why not. Is there some
RFC somewhere that indicates that this is not part of NFS design to do that
?

Thanks
Chris Kottaridis (chriskot@quietwind.net)

Not with the kernel nfs server, but I am told there are some user
space nfs servers that will let you do this. You can export the file
systems with samba and afp.

Of course, if you do this, it had better be read-only everywhere, or
else you'll get some rather interesting data corruption.

-- Chris