Old 04-07-2008, 02:41 PM
"max bianco"

Default long pause before GRUB appears on ASUS G2S-B2

On Mon, Apr 7, 2008 at 10:24 AM, Claude Jones <cjones@levitjames.com> wrote:
> I have an ASUS G2S-B2 laptop dual booting Fedora 8 and Vista.
> When I start the computer, after the BIOS messages, the screen goes black with
> the exception of a single blinking dash in the upper left of the screen;
> after 20-30 seconds, the GRUB menu appears normally.
> Any suggestions for what's causing the pregnant pause?
> --

Is the harddrive first in the boot order?

Max

Old 04-07-2008, 05:43 PM
Claude Jones

On Monday April 7 2008 10:41:12 am max bianco wrote:
> Is the harddrive first in the boot order?

It was one of the early things I checked but I just re-checked,
and it is the first, and I made sure the correct drive was set
as the boot-drive, which also was the case.

--
Claude Jones
Brunswick, MD, USA

Old 04-07-2008, 07:02 PM
"max bianco"

On Mon, Apr 7, 2008 at 1:43 PM, Claude Jones <cjones@levitjames.com> wrote:
> On Monday April 7 2008 10:41:12 am max bianco wrote:
> > Is the harddrive first in the boot order?
>
> It was one of the early things I checked but I just re-checked,
> and it is the first, and I made sure the correct drive was set
> as the boot-drive, which also was the case.
>
> --
There is usually a quick boot option in the BIOS too but it doesn't
sound like that is the problem. How long has it been this way?

Max

Old 04-08-2008, 10:51 AM
Tim

On Mon, 2008-04-07 at 10:24 -0400, Claude Jones wrote:
> I have an ASUS G2S-B2 laptop dual booting Fedora 8 and Vista.
> When I start the computer, after the BIOS messages, the screen goes
> black with the exception of a single blinking dash in the upper left
> of the screen; after 20-30 seconds, the GRUB menu appears normally.
> Any suggestions for what's causing the pregnant pause?

That sounds rather like it's looking for other drives (e.g. you've got
multiple ports, it's waiting for responses from all them, for whether
they've got a drive or not), or taking a while to find the first drive
(does your drive take a while to spin up?).

important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.

Old 04-08-2008, 11:03 AM
Claude Jones

On Tue April 8 2008, Tim wrote:
> That sounds rather like it's looking for other drives (e.g. you've got
> multiple ports, it's waiting for responses from all them, for whether
> they've got a drive or not), or taking a while to find the first drive
> (does your drive take a while to spin up?).

Good catch. This laptop has an eSata port and I have a drive attached to it. I
just shut down and turned that drive off then rebooted. This time there was
no delay. I wonder why it takes it 30 seconds to determine that the external
is not the boot drive....in BIOS settings, I have delineated the internal
SATA drive as the boot drive, so, it's still a bit of a mystery. But, at
least I know the cause.

--
Claude Jones
Brunswick, MD, USA