Old 04-07-2008, 01:51 PM
"Patrick O'Callaghan"

Default which takes precedence?

On Mon, 2008-04-07 at 11:33 +0000, tony.chamberlain@lemko.com wrote:

> I have a machine running SMP whose grub entry is
>
> kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.9-55.ELsmp ro
> root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 rhgb quiet 3
>
> (and uname -a: Linux 8mile 2.6.9-55.ELsmp #1 SMP) BUT Runlevel N 5
>
> I used to set runlevel by making id 3 in /etc/inittab:
>
> id:3:initdefault:
>
> Management said not to use inittab but rather grub.conf. Explains
> before why even when
> id in inittab was 5, the runlevel would be 3.
>
> But now, in grub.conf there is the 3 (as above) at the end of the
> kernel line (5 in inittab) and
> it is coming up in level 5 after reboot. So which has precedence,
> inittab or grub.conf and
> why is it coming up 5?

Pardon my ignorance, but where is it documented that you can set the
runlevel from the grub.conf line? It doesn't appear to be in the grub
manual, the init manual, or kernel-parameters.txt. AFAIK all you can do
is specify a different binary instead of the default /sbin/init.

So it would be coming up in level 5 because that's what your inittab
says.

poc

Old 04-07-2008, 02:07 PM
Aaron Konstam

On Mon, 2008-04-07 at 09:21 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-04-07 at 11:33 +0000, tony.chamberlain@lemko.com wrote:
> >
> > I have a machine running SMP whose grub entry is
> >
> > kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.9-55.ELsmp ro
> > root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 rhgb quiet 3
> >
> > (and uname -a: Linux 8mile 2.6.9-55.ELsmp #1 SMP) BUT Runlevel N 5
> >
> > I used to set runlevel by making id 3 in /etc/inittab:
> >
> > id:3:initdefault:
> >
> > Management said not to use inittab but rather grub.conf. Explains
> > before why even when
> > id in inittab was 5, the runlevel would be 3.
> >
> > But now, in grub.conf there is the 3 (as above) at the end of the
> > kernel line (5 in inittab) and
> > it is coming up in level 5 after reboot. So which has precedence,
> > inittab or grub.conf and
> > why is it coming up 5?
>
> Pardon my ignorance, but where is it documented that you can set the
> runlevel from the grub.conf line? It doesn't appear to be in the grub
> manual, the init manual, or kernel-parameters.txt. AFAIK all you can do
> is specify a different binary instead of the default /sbin/init.
>
> So it would be coming up in level 5 because that's what your inittab
> says.
>
> poc

When the system comes up and you see a display of kernel boot lines.
If yo have hidemenu uncommented in grub.conf you may have to hit return
during the initial screen to see this.

At the bottom of the boot list there are instructions on how to edit a
boot line. If the line is edited and the number 3 is placed at the end
of the line the system will boot to run level 3. A 1 will get eh system
to boot to run level 1 and so on.

Old 04-07-2008, 02:08 PM
Albert Graham

Hi Tony,

Grub takes precedence, for example you may need to boot into runlevel 1
to fix a problem so in this case inittab must be ignored.

Albert.

Old 04-07-2008, 02:10 PM
inode0

2008/4/7 <tony.chamberlain@lemko.com>:
> But now, in grub.conf there is the 3 (as above) at the end of the kernel
> line (5 in inittab) and it is coming up in level 5 after reboot. So which has
> precedence, inittab or grub.conf and why is it coming up 5?

The kernel line in grub.conf should take precedence. Is /etc/grub.conf
still a link pointing at /boot/grub/grub.conf or is it a regular file?

John

Old 04-07-2008, 02:46 PM
"Patrick O'Callaghan"

On Mon, 2008-04-07 at 09:07 -0500, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-04-07 at 09:21 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> > On Mon, 2008-04-07 at 11:33 +0000, tony.chamberlain@lemko.com wrote:
> > >
> > > I have a machine running SMP whose grub entry is
> > >
> > > kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.9-55.ELsmp ro
> > > root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 rhgb quiet 3
> > >
> > > (and uname -a: Linux 8mile 2.6.9-55.ELsmp #1 SMP) BUT Runlevel N 5
> > >
> > > I used to set runlevel by making id 3 in /etc/inittab:
> > >
> > > id:3:initdefault:
> > >
> > > Management said not to use inittab but rather grub.conf. Explains
> > > before why even when
> > > id in inittab was 5, the runlevel would be 3.
> > >
> > > But now, in grub.conf there is the 3 (as above) at the end of the
> > > kernel line (5 in inittab) and
> > > it is coming up in level 5 after reboot. So which has precedence,
> > > inittab or grub.conf and
> > > why is it coming up 5?
> >
> > Pardon my ignorance, but where is it documented that you can set the
> > runlevel from the grub.conf line? It doesn't appear to be in the grub
> > manual, the init manual, or kernel-parameters.txt. AFAIK all you can do
> > is specify a different binary instead of the default /sbin/init.
> >
> > So it would be coming up in level 5 because that's what your inittab
> > says.
> >
> > poc
> >

> When the system comes up and you see a display of kernel boot lines.
> If yo have hidemenu uncommented in grub.conf you may have to hit return
> during the initial screen to see this.
>
> At the bottom of the boot list there are instructions on how to edit a
> boot line. If the line is edited and the number 3 is placed at the end
> of the line the system will boot to run level 3. A 1 will get eh system
> to boot to run level 1 and so on.

So this is a function of rhgb, not of init, i.e. it's some
RedHat-specific magic.

OT: It's distressing to me as an old Unix user that 'man rhgb' doesn't
work. Even worse, 'man -k rhgb' gives:

rhgb (rpm) - Red Hat Graphical Boot

implying that there is a man page, but I don't have it. Is there some
secret RPM I have to install?

poc

Old 04-07-2008, 02:57 PM
Michael Schwendt

On Mon, 07 Apr 2008 10:16:14 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:

> OT: It's distressing to me as an old Unix user that 'man rhgb' doesn't
> work. Even worse, 'man -k rhgb' gives:
>
> rhgb (rpm) - Red Hat Graphical Boot
>
> implying that there is a man page, but I don't have it. Is there some
> secret RPM I have to install?

Notice the "(rpm)" in that output. It means that rhgb is an RPM
package that is installed, not that it is a man page.

Old 04-07-2008, 03:18 PM
inode0

On Mon, Apr 7, 2008 at 9:57 AM, Michael Schwendt <mschwendt@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 07 Apr 2008 10:16:14 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
>
> > OT: It's distressing to me as an old Unix user that 'man rhgb' doesn't
> > work. Even worse, 'man -k rhgb' gives:
> >
> > rhgb (rpm) - Red Hat Graphical Boot
> >
> > implying that there is a man page, but I don't have it. Is there some
> > secret RPM I have to install?
>
> Notice the "(rpm)" in that output. It means that rhgb is an RPM
> package that is installed, not that it is a man page.

And rpm -qd rhgb should point you at its installed documentation if
there is any.

John

Old 04-07-2008, 03:23 PM
Luciano Rocha

On Mon, Apr 07, 2008 at 10:16:14AM -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:

> On Mon, 2008-04-07 at 09:07 -0500, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> > At the bottom of the boot list there are instructions on how to edit a
> > boot line. If the line is edited and the number 3 is placed at the end
> > of the line the system will boot to run level 3. A 1 will get eh system
> > to boot to run level 1 and so on.
>
> So this is a function of rhgb, not of init, i.e. it's some
> RedHat-specific magic.

No, it's a function of init. The kernel passes unrecognized options to
the init process, and init checks for a runlevel specification (1-5,
single, -b, s, etc.).

--
lfr
0/0

Old 04-07-2008, 03:29 PM
"Mikkel L. Ellertson"

tony.chamberlain@lemko.com wrote:

I have a machine running SMP whose grub entry is

kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.9-55.ELsmp ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00
rhgb quiet 3

(and uname -a: Linux 8mile 2.6.9-55.ELsmp #1 SMP) BUT Runlevel N 5

I used to set runlevel by making id 3 in /etc/inittab:

id:3:initdefault:

Management said not to use inittab but rather grub.conf. Explains
before why even when

id in inittab was 5, the runlevel would be 3.

But now, in grub.conf there is the 3 (as above) at the end of the kernel
line (5 in inittab) and
it is coming up in level 5 after reboot. So which has precedence,
inittab or grub.conf and

why is it coming up 5?

A run level as part of the command passed to the kernel takes
precedence. So Grub would take precedence in this case. The name
used in /etc/inittab gives you a good clue - it is the default run
level, and the command line overrides the default.

Mikkel

Old 04-07-2008, 03:39 PM
"Patrick O'Callaghan"

On Mon, 2008-04-07 at 16:57 +0200, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> On Mon, 07 Apr 2008 10:16:14 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
>
> > OT: It's distressing to me as an old Unix user that 'man rhgb' doesn't
> > work. Even worse, 'man -k rhgb' gives:
> >
> > rhgb (rpm) - Red Hat Graphical Boot
> >
> > implying that there is a man page, but I don't have it. Is there some
> > secret RPM I have to install?
>
> Notice the "(rpm)" in that output. It means that rhgb is an RPM
> package that is installed, not that it is a man page.

OK, thanks.

poc