FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 04-07-2008, 03:43 PM
"Patrick O'Callaghan"
 
Default which takes precedence?

On Mon, 2008-04-07 at 16:23 +0100, Luciano Rocha wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 07, 2008 at 10:16:14AM -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, 2008-04-07 at 09:07 -0500, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> > > At the bottom of the boot list there are instructions on how to edit a
> > > boot line. If the line is edited and the number 3 is placed at the end
> > > of the line the system will boot to run level 3. A 1 will get eh system
> > > to boot to run level 1 and so on.
> >
> > So this is a function of rhgb, not of init, i.e. it's some
> > RedHat-specific magic.
>
> No, it's a function of init. The kernel passes unrecognized options to
> the init process, and init checks for a runlevel specification (1-5,
> single, -b, s, etc.).

I believe you, but I'd still like to see where this is documented. My
point is not that there's anything wrong with this, but that the
required info is not easy to come by.

poc

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 04-07-2008, 03:43 PM
"Patrick O'Callaghan"
 
Default which takes precedence?

On Mon, 2008-04-07 at 16:23 +0100, Luciano Rocha wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 07, 2008 at 10:16:14AM -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, 2008-04-07 at 09:07 -0500, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> > > At the bottom of the boot list there are instructions on how to edit a
> > > boot line. If the line is edited and the number 3 is placed at the end
> > > of the line the system will boot to run level 3. A 1 will get eh system
> > > to boot to run level 1 and so on.
> >
> > So this is a function of rhgb, not of init, i.e. it's some
> > RedHat-specific magic.
>
> No, it's a function of init. The kernel passes unrecognized options to
> the init process, and init checks for a runlevel specification (1-5,
> single, -b, s, etc.).

I believe you, but I'd still like to see where this is documented. My
point is not that there's anything wrong with this, but that the
required info is not easy to come by.

poc

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 04-07-2008, 03:48 PM
"Mikkel L. Ellertson"
 
Default which takes precedence?

Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:


Pardon my ignorance, but where is it documented that you can set the
runlevel from the grub.conf line? It doesn't appear to be in the grub
manual, the init manual, or kernel-parameters.txt. AFAIK all you can do
is specify a different binary instead of the default /sbin/init.

So it would be coming up in level 5 because that's what your inittab
says.

poc

I believe it is documented several places. I know it is documented
in the init man page. Look for the BOOTFLAGS section.


Mikkel
--

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons,
for thou art crunchy and taste good with Ketchup!

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 04-07-2008, 04:00 PM
Luciano Rocha
 
Default which takes precedence?

On Mon, Apr 07, 2008 at 11:13:17AM -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-04-07 at 16:23 +0100, Luciano Rocha wrote:
> > On Mon, Apr 07, 2008 at 10:16:14AM -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> > >
> > > On Mon, 2008-04-07 at 09:07 -0500, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> > > > At the bottom of the boot list there are instructions on how to edit a
> > > > boot line. If the line is edited and the number 3 is placed at the end
> > > > of the line the system will boot to run level 3. A 1 will get eh system
> > > > to boot to run level 1 and so on.
> > >
> > > So this is a function of rhgb, not of init, i.e. it's some
> > > RedHat-specific magic.
> >
> > No, it's a function of init. The kernel passes unrecognized options to
> > the init process, and init checks for a runlevel specification (1-5,
> > single, -b, s, etc.).
>
> I believe you, but I'd still like to see where this is documented. My
> point is not that there's anything wrong with this, but that the
> required info is not easy to come by.
>

It's in the manual page for init:

$ man init
...
BOOTFLAGS
It is possible to pass a number of flags to init from the boot monitor
(eg. LILO). Init accepts the following flags:

-s, S, single
Single user mode boot. In this mode /etc/inittab is examined and
the bootup rc scripts are usually run before the single user mode
shell is started.

1-5 Runlevel to boot into.

-b, emergency
Boot directly into a single user shell without running any other
startup scripts.
...

--
lfr
0/0
--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 04-07-2008, 06:26 PM
"Patrick O'Callaghan"
 
Default which takes precedence?

On Mon, 2008-04-07 at 10:48 -0500, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> >
> > Pardon my ignorance, but where is it documented that you can set the
> > runlevel from the grub.conf line? It doesn't appear to be in the grub
> > manual, the init manual, or kernel-parameters.txt. AFAIK all you can do
> > is specify a different binary instead of the default /sbin/init.
> >
> > So it would be coming up in level 5 because that's what your inittab
> > says.
> >
> > poc
> >
> I believe it is documented several places. I know it is documented
> in the init man page. Look for the BOOTFLAGS section.

You're right, thanks.

poc

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 04-07-2008, 06:26 PM
"Patrick O'Callaghan"
 
Default which takes precedence?

On Mon, 2008-04-07 at 17:00 +0100, Luciano Rocha wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 07, 2008 at 11:13:17AM -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> > On Mon, 2008-04-07 at 16:23 +0100, Luciano Rocha wrote:
> > > On Mon, Apr 07, 2008 at 10:16:14AM -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> > > >
> > > > On Mon, 2008-04-07 at 09:07 -0500, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> > > > > At the bottom of the boot list there are instructions on how to edit a
> > > > > boot line. If the line is edited and the number 3 is placed at the end
> > > > > of the line the system will boot to run level 3. A 1 will get eh system
> > > > > to boot to run level 1 and so on.
> > > >
> > > > So this is a function of rhgb, not of init, i.e. it's some
> > > > RedHat-specific magic.
> > >
> > > No, it's a function of init. The kernel passes unrecognized options to
> > > the init process, and init checks for a runlevel specification (1-5,
> > > single, -b, s, etc.).
> >
> > I believe you, but I'd still like to see where this is documented. My
> > point is not that there's anything wrong with this, but that the
> > required info is not easy to come by.
> >
>
> It's in the manual page for init:
>
> $ man init
> ...
> BOOTFLAGS
> It is possible to pass a number of flags to init from the boot monitor
> (eg. LILO). Init accepts the following flags:
>
> -s, S, single
> Single user mode boot. In this mode /etc/inittab is examined and
> the bootup rc scripts are usually run before the single user mode
> shell is started.
>
> 1-5 Runlevel to boot into.
>
> -b, emergency
> Boot directly into a single user shell without running any other
> startup scripts.

Correct. Thank you.

poc

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 10:56 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org