Old 04-07-2008, 04:36 AM
Matt Domsch

Default Fedora Mirrors Wanted

On Wed, Apr 02, 2008 at 10:00:02PM +0530, Nilesh Govindrajan wrote:
> But you should ensure that Fedora project checks that new mirrors have
> at least 25 Mbps connection. For instance, the mirrors mirror.wbut.ac.in
> is very slow. As you know that some speed is lost in the distance the
> data has to cover. This mirror is located in West-Bengal, North-East of
> India. I am living in Maharashtra, South-West of India. The distance
> would be around 3000+ Kms. I get a speed of 4.5-7 Kbps speed on my 128
> Kbps connection with these mirrors while with any other US/Eur Mirror, I
> get 15-30 Kbps.

We have very few mirrors in India to begin with. While we generally
request mirrors have 100Mbit or faster connections, we will make
exceptions for areas where we have few mirrors and where we have had
little luck finding volunteers to run faster ones.

Matching users to mirrors based on country isn't perfect, and I'm
always open to better algorithms. I recently added a lookup for
clients and mirrors connected via Internet2 or one of its peers. If
someone can describe how to better guess the network topology, exactly
for cases such as yours, I'm all ears.

Thanks,
Matt
Fedora Mirror Wrangler

--
Matt Domsch
linux.dell.com & www.dell.com/linux

Old 04-07-2008, 09:33 AM
"subhodip biswas"

On Mon, Apr 7, 2008 at 10:06 AM, Matt Domsch <mdomsch@fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 02, 2008 at 10:00:02PM +0530, Nilesh Govindrajan wrote:
> > But you should ensure that Fedora project checks that new mirrors have
> > at least 25 Mbps connection. For instance, the mirrors mirror.wbut.ac.in
> > is very slow. As you know that some speed is lost in the distance the
> > data has to cover. This mirror is located in West-Bengal, North-East of
> > India. I am living in Maharashtra, South-West of India. The distance
> > would be around 3000+ Kms. I get a speed of 4.5-7 Kbps speed on my 128
> > Kbps connection with these mirrors while with any other US/Eur Mirror, I
> > get 15-30 Kbps.

In India getting bandwidth of at least 25 Mbps is next to impossible .
so you need to work with slower ones .
Wbut mirror got recently upgraded to 8mbps line .
One more point getting speed from depends on ISP provider (client side
) also . Even located just 180 KM from wbut mirror I wont get
anything better than 30 KBps . My ISP does permit more than that .
While some other guys in different ISP gets much better speeds .

> We have very few mirrors in India to begin with. While we generally
> request mirrors have 100Mbit or faster connections, we will make
> exceptions for areas where we have few mirrors and where we have had
> little luck finding volunteers to run faster ones.
>
> Matching users to mirrors based on country isn't perfect, and I'm
> always open to better algorithms. I recently added a lookup for
> clients and mirrors connected via Internet2 or one of its peers. If
> someone can describe how to better guess the network topology, exactly
> for cases such as yours, I'm all ears.

> Thanks,
> Matt
> Fedora Mirror Wrangler
>
> --
> Matt Domsch
> Linux Technology Strategist, Dell Office of the CTO
> linux.dell.com & www.dell.com/linux

Regards
Subhodip Biswas

GPG key : FAEA34AB
Server : pgp.mit.edu
http://subhodipbiswas.wordpress.com
http:/www.fedoraproject.org/wiki/SubhodipBiswas

Old 04-07-2008, 09:35 AM
"subhodip biswas"

A correction
"My ISP does permit more than that"
will be
"My ISP does not permit more than that"
apology for the silly mistake .

Old 04-07-2008, 03:37 PM
Les

On Sun, 2008-04-06 at 23:36 -0500, Matt Domsch wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 02, 2008 at 10:00:02PM +0530, Nilesh Govindrajan wrote:
> > But you should ensure that Fedora project checks that new mirrors have
> > at least 25 Mbps connection. For instance, the mirrors mirror.wbut.ac.in
> > is very slow. As you know that some speed is lost in the distance the
> > data has to cover. This mirror is located in West-Bengal, North-East of
> > India. I am living in Maharashtra, South-West of India. The distance
> > would be around 3000+ Kms. I get a speed of 4.5-7 Kbps speed on my 128
> > Kbps connection with these mirrors while with any other US/Eur Mirror, I
> > get 15-30 Kbps.
>
> We have very few mirrors in India to begin with. While we generally
> request mirrors have 100Mbit or faster connections, we will make
> exceptions for areas where we have few mirrors and where we have had
> little luck finding volunteers to run faster ones.
>
> Matching users to mirrors based on country isn't perfect, and I'm
> always open to better algorithms. I recently added a lookup for
> clients and mirrors connected via Internet2 or one of its peers. If
> someone can describe how to better guess the network topology, exactly
> for cases such as yours, I'm all ears.
>
> Thanks,
> Matt
> Fedora Mirror Wrangler
Hi, Matt,
Maybe you could finagle an angle with one or more of those speed meter
sites? Maybe the mirrors would or could run a speed meter application
accessed by the RPM software to assess speed prior to establishing the
connection. Something like a quick burst to check 3 or 4 sites then
choosing the best one?

Regards,
Les H

Old 04-07-2008, 03:41 PM
Matt Domsch

On Mon, Apr 07, 2008 at 08:37:51AM -0700, Les wrote:
> Hi, Matt,
> Maybe you could finagle an angle with one or more of those speed meter
> sites? Maybe the mirrors would or could run a speed meter application
> accessed by the RPM software to assess speed prior to establishing the
> connection. Something like a quick burst to check 3 or 4 sites then
> choosing the best one?

sudo yum install yum-fastestmirror

gets you most of this. It works fine with mirrormanager too.

Old 04-07-2008, 06:09 PM
Ric Moore

On Mon, 2008-04-07 at 15:03 +0530, subhodip biswas wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 7, 2008 at 10:06 AM, Matt Domsch <mdomsch@fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> > On Wed, Apr 02, 2008 at 10:00:02PM +0530, Nilesh Govindrajan wrote:
> > > But you should ensure that Fedora project checks that new mirrors have
> > > at least 25 Mbps connection. For instance, the mirrors mirror.wbut.ac.in
> > > is very slow. As you know that some speed is lost in the distance the
> > > data has to cover. This mirror is located in West-Bengal, North-East of
> > > India. I am living in Maharashtra, South-West of India. The distance
> > > would be around 3000+ Kms. I get a speed of 4.5-7 Kbps speed on my 128
> > > Kbps connection with these mirrors while with any other US/Eur Mirror, I
> > > get 15-30 Kbps.
> >
> In India getting bandwidth of at least 25 Mbps is next to impossible .
> so you need to work with slower ones .
> Wbut mirror got recently upgraded to 8mbps line .
> One more point getting speed from depends on ISP provider (client side
> ) also . Even located just 180 KM from wbut mirror I wont get
> anything better than 30 KBps . My ISP does permit more than that .
> While some other guys in different ISP gets much better speeds .
>
> > We have very few mirrors in India to begin with. While we generally
> > request mirrors have 100Mbit or faster connections, we will make
> > exceptions for areas where we have few mirrors and where we have had
> > little luck finding volunteers to run faster ones.
> >
> > Matching users to mirrors based on country isn't perfect, and I'm
> > always open to better algorithms. I recently added a lookup for
> > clients and mirrors connected via Internet2 or one of its peers. If
> > someone can describe how to better guess the network topology, exactly
> > for cases such as yours, I'm all ears.

All the more reason to reduce the yum update process, if at all
possible. Via 28.8 it took about 4 hours before the mirrors settled down
on Friday night to where the yum process could proceed to do useful
work. I have not run an entire "update all" process since installing F7.
I can't, for all the mirror problems and/or the dnload failures and pure
slowness of the sqlite.gz business. Please presto that sucker and if
some sort of signal to yum indicating that the mirror isn't available or
sync'ed yet, for yum to jump past, that would be pure-eyed SWEET! We'd
have the best mechanism for install/updates available on the net. The
Debian camp could eat crow. Ric

http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar

Old 04-07-2008, 06:10 PM
Ric Moore

On Mon, 2008-04-07 at 15:05 +0530, subhodip biswas wrote:
> A correction
> "My ISP does permit more than that"
> will be
> "My ISP does not permit more than that"
> apology for the silly mistake .

Ha! Like me you have an emotional stake in this, and the fingers get
ahead of the brain. I feel ya! Ric

http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar