Old 03-30-2012, 04:27 AM
Junayeed Ahnaf Nirjhor

Default Various Sound Backend - Why?

Hello,

This one is general Linux question. Up until Fedora 15, there was
xine and then there was gstreamer (Which contains good,bad &
ugly) . Then there was fluendo. Except xine, the later ones still
exist.

I mean, they all are sound backend / codec, right? Then why having
many of them?

--

Junayeed Ahnaf Nirjhor

Core Developer Intern, Diaspora

Twitter - @Nirjhor

Old 03-30-2012, 08:15 AM
Reindl Harald

Am 30.03.2012 06:27, schrieb Junayeed Ahnaf Nirjhor:
> Hello,
>
> This one is general Linux question. Up until Fedora 15, there was xine and then there was gstreamer (Which contains
> good,bad & ugly) . Then there was fluendo. Except xine, the later ones still exist.
>
> I mean, they all are sound backend / codec, right? Then why having many of them?

Linux, MacOS, Windows, FreeBSD and Solaris are all operating systems
why do we have many of them?

Old 03-30-2012, 08:29 AM
Ed Greshko

On 03/30/2012 04:15 PM, Reindl Harald wrote:

> Am 30.03.2012 06:27, schrieb Junayeed Ahnaf Nirjhor:
>> Hello,
>>
>> This one is general Linux question. Up until Fedora 15, there was xine and then there was gstreamer (Which contains
>> good,bad & ugly) . Then there was fluendo. Except xine, the later ones still exist.
>>
>> I mean, they all are sound backend / codec, right? Then why having many of them?
> Linux, MacOS, Windows, FreeBSD and Solaris are all operating systems
> why do we have many of them?

Oh, Oh.... I know, I know.... Pick me.....

So we can have a choice? :-) :-)

--
Do not condemn the judgment of another because it differs from your own. You may both
be wrong. -- Dandemis

Old 03-30-2012, 08:33 AM
Frank Murphy

I mean, they all are sound backend / codec, right? Then why having many
of them?

It's called choice.
Which is a part of freedom.
Choose what works best for you.
If you like none, or none work for you.
You have then the freedom to write a new concept
that suits your situation.

Frank
"Jack of all, fubars"