FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 03-29-2012, 10:12 PM
Braden McDaniel
 
Default grub2 prompt vs LVM

I've had an rpm upgrade from Fedora 15 to 16 go slightly sideways and
I've wound up with a grub prompt upon boot. I found
<https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/GRUB_2>; alas, it seems to be missing
information about what one does when one's root partition is on an LVM
volume.


Do I need a Live CD to recover at this point?

--
Braden McDaniel e-mail: <braden@endoframe.com>
<http://endoframe.com> Jabber: <braden@jabber.org>
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
 
Old 03-30-2012, 02:49 AM
"T.C. Hollingsworth"
 
Default grub2 prompt vs LVM

On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 3:12 PM, Braden McDaniel <braden@endoframe.com> wrote:
> I've had an rpm upgrade from Fedora 15 tio 16 go slightly sideways and I've
> wound up with a grub prompt upon boot. *I found
> <https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/GRUB_2>; alas, it seems to be missing
> information about what one does when one's root partition is on an LVM
> volume.

By "rpm upgrade" I assume you mean yum upgrade? Yum upgrades don't
update the bootloader to GRUB2, only anaconda/preupgrade is smart
enough to figure that out, so the only way you'd be running GRUB2 is
if you updated it manually. GRUB1 is *supposed* to still work fine in
the interim, though apparently that didn't work out so well for you.
;-)

The good news here is that GRUB1 knew nothing about LVM, so you have
to have a seperate /boot partition, which is all GRUB cares about.
Fedora's initramfs does the hard work with LVM. So even though GRUB2
now speaks LVM, it doesn't have to deal with it in your case.

> Do I need a Live CD to recover at this point?

Yes, that would be best. Make sure it matches the arch of the
installed system so you can chroot into your installation if
necessary.

The prescription for repairing your bootloader from should be
something like this:

Become root. `sudo` doesn't work on Fedora live media so just:
su -

Activate your LVM volumes:
vgchange -a y
lvchange -a y

Mount your root partition somewhere (run `lvdisplay` if you're not
sure of the device path):
mkdir /mnt/root
mount /dev/mapper/vg_hostname-lv_root /mnt/root

Mount your /boot partition into it (run `print all` in `parted` if
your not sure of the device):
mount /dev/sdX# /mnt/root/boot

Verify that your boot partition is copacetic. Make sure there's a
kernel and initramfs that has .fc16 in it:. Then, check
/etc/default/grub and make sure that the GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX variable
mentions your LVM logical volume. There should be a kernel argument
that looks like
"rd.lvm.lv=vg_hostname/lv_root" If there is not, copy the one from
/mnt/root/boot/grub/menu.lst or add one in that format that matches
your configuration.

Now you can install GRUB2:
grub2-install --boot-directory=/mnt/root/boot

Next, chroot into your root paritition. (I think grub2-mkconfig is
smart enough to not need this, but still, it can't hurt.)
chroot /mnt/root

Generate a grub configuration file. (Remember, you're chrooted now so
/boot is your real boot, not the live media's.)
grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg

Finally, make sure it finds the F16 kernel you verified the existence
of earlier, either by looking at what grub2-mkconfig spits out to the
screen or checking grub.cfg.

With any luck, nothing else will go wrong and you can now reboot into F16.

-T.C.
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
 
Old 03-30-2012, 07:02 AM
Braden McDaniel
 
Default grub2 prompt vs LVM

On Thu, 2012-03-29 at 19:49 -0700, T.C. Hollingsworth wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 3:12 PM, Braden McDaniel <braden@endoframe.com> wrote:
> > I've had an rpm upgrade from Fedora 15 tio 16 go slightly sideways and I've
> > wound up with a grub prompt upon boot. I found
> > <https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/GRUB_2>; alas, it seems to be missing
> > information about what one does when one's root partition is on an LVM
> > volume.
>
> By "rpm upgrade" I assume you mean yum upgrade?

I do.

> Yum upgrades don't
> update the bootloader to GRUB2, only anaconda/preupgrade is smart
> enough to figure that out, so the only way you'd be running GRUB2 is
> if you updated it manually. GRUB1 is *supposed* to still work fine in
> the interim, though apparently that didn't work out so well for you.
> ;-)

The instructions at

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Upgrading_Fedora_using_yum

say to do:

/sbin/grub-install BOOTDEVICE

But after upgrading the packages, I had no "grub-install"; only
"grub2-install". So I did that. Clearly it was insufficient.

Now that I look at that page again, I see in the "Fedora 15 -> 16"
section, it talks about running "grub2-mkconfig". I missed that part
before. Whoops.

Your instructions were very helpful. Thank you. For the possible
benefit of others, I'll mention a few thingsā€¦

> The prescription for repairing your bootloader from should be
> something like this:
>
> Become root. `sudo` doesn't work on Fedora live media so just:
> su -
>
> Activate your LVM volumes:
> vgchange -a y
> lvchange -a y
>
> Mount your root partition somewhere (run `lvdisplay` if you're not
> sure of the device path):
> mkdir /mnt/root
> mount /dev/mapper/vg_hostname-lv_root /mnt/root
>
> Mount your /boot partition into it (run `print all` in `parted` if
> your not sure of the device):
> mount /dev/sdX# /mnt/root/boot
>
> Verify that your boot partition is copacetic. Make sure there's a
> kernel and initramfs that has .fc16 in it:. Then, check
> /etc/default/grub and make sure that the GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX variable
> mentions your LVM logical volume. There should be a kernel argument
> that looks like
> "rd.lvm.lv=vg_hostname/lv_root" If there is not, copy the one from
> /mnt/root/boot/grub/menu.lst or add one in that format that matches
> your configuration.
>
> Now you can install GRUB2:
> grub2-install --boot-directory=/mnt/root/boot

You meant to write

$ grub2-install --boot-directory=/mnt/root/boot /dev/sdX

> Next, chroot into your root paritition. (I think grub2-mkconfig is
> smart enough to not need this, but still, it can't hurt.)
> chroot /mnt/root

FYI, I tried it without chroot'ing and it didn't work. (Which could
just mean I did it wrong.)

> Generate a grub configuration file. (Remember, you're chrooted now so
> /boot is your real boot, not the live media's.)
> grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg

This part failed for me until I went back and did

$ sudo mount -o bind /dev /mnt/root/dev

before chroot'ing.

> Finally, make sure it finds the F16 kernel you verified the existence
> of earlier, either by looking at what grub2-mkconfig spits out to the
> screen or checking grub.cfg.
>
> With any luck, nothing else will go wrong and you can now reboot into F16.

Problem solved. Thanks again.

--
Braden McDaniel <braden@endoframe.com>

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 09:55 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org