Old 03-29-2012, 08:01 PM
"R. Welsh"

Default Samba service with Windows and dual boot...

Howdy,

Have a couple of open items in forum that I haven't been able to resolve
and am looking for guidance.

Item 1:

I have F16 installed on a system with Samba server 3.x. I have
configured both directory shares and a printer share through Samba. I
can access these shares from Win7, I can access the directory shares
from WinVista but not the printer share, and I can't access these shares
at all from WinXP. Any hints?

Item 2:

The Bootloader Configuration utility in F16 is looking for a grub.conf
file under the /boot/grub directory instead of looking for grub.cfg
under /boot/grub2. In spite of this, I am trying to setup dual boot on
this system where I have the F16 on the primary hard drive and Win7 on
the second hard drive. I've tried a few different menu entries based on
example text in the grub documentation. Any guidance on where I can
look for info on configuring dual boot Linux/Win7?

Thanks.

Bob W.

Old 03-30-2012, 04:13 AM
Craig White

On Thu, 2012-03-29 at 14:01 -0600, R. Welsh wrote:
> Howdy,
>
> Have a couple of open items in forum that I haven't been able to resolve
> and am looking for guidance.
>
> Item 1:
>
> I have F16 installed on a system with Samba server 3.x. I have
> configured both directory shares and a printer share through Samba. I
> can access these shares from Win7, I can access the directory shares
> from WinVista but not the printer share, and I can't access these shares
> at all from WinXP. Any hints?
>
> Item 2:
>
> The Bootloader Configuration utility in F16 is looking for a grub.conf
> file under the /boot/grub directory instead of looking for grub.cfg
> under /boot/grub2. In spite of this, I am trying to setup dual boot on
> this system where I have the F16 on the primary hard drive and Win7 on
> the second hard drive. I've tried a few different menu entries based on
> example text in the grub documentation. Any guidance on where I can
> look for info on configuring dual boot Linux/Win7?
----
you should post separate questions so they can be tackled separately.

1. Logs are your friend. Turn up the logging on samba (log level in
smb.conf) You might actually want to share the configuration information
too (smb.conf). Lastly, WinXP... if you open an explorer window and type
YOUR_SAMBA_SERVER does it connect? Does it allow you to authenticate?

2. I am under the assumption that if you install os-prober and then run
grub2-mkconfig (see below) that it should just work.

yum install os-prober
grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg

Where does it fail? What is your configuration in /boot/grub2/grub.cfg
(before/after these steps?)

Craig

believed to be clean.

Old 03-30-2012, 04:49 AM
"R. Welsh"

Hello Craig,

Thanks for the advice and direction. I'll give these a try to see what
happens, and separate the items if any follow up questions.

Bob W.