Old 03-29-2012, 12:04 PM
lokesh kumar

Default xorg.conf for HDMI

I want to have a display on tv from a customize board via HDMI port,
what modifications i need to make in xorg.conf and other configuration files

regards

Old 03-29-2012, 12:31 PM
suvayu ali

Hey Lokesh,

On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 14:04, lokesh kumar <lokeshkumar.222@gmail.com> wrote:
> I want to have a display on tv from a customize board via HDMI port,
> what modifications i need to make in xorg.conf and other configuration files

xorg.conf has been phased out for many releases now. The support is
there for cases when automatic configuration doesn't work. So my
question is: have you tried without any xorg.conf? Maybe use xrandr to
get the correct resolution working? Something like this might work:

$ xrandr --output <HDMI display> --mode <resolution>
--output <your regular display> --mode <resolution>

You can get the allowed values with "xrandr -q".

Hope this helps.

--
Suvayu

Old 03-29-2012, 01:10 PM
lokesh kumar

hey suvayu,
Thanks for yr reply ,

When i am trying to run xrandr command i am getting ,error "can't open display 0:0" ,i have removed all xorg.conf files
do you have any clue abt what could be wrong with my xrandr.

Old 03-29-2012, 02:14 PM
suvayu ali

Hi Lokesh,

A small comment before we get on to your problem. Please do not top
post, it makes it difficult to follow the thread. You should also read
the mailing list guidelines at the end of every message.

On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 15:10, lokesh kumar <lokeshkumar.222@gmail.com> wrote:

> When i am trying to run xrandr command i am getting ,error "can't open
> display 0:0" ,i have removed all xorg.conf files
> do you have any clue abt what could be wrong with my xrandr.

You are not giving any details about your setup. Some important
questions might be:

1. How many and what displays were connected to your machine when you
tried this?
2. Were you connected remotely over ssh?

Those are the two things that came up. In short more information is always good.

--
Suvayu

Old 03-29-2012, 02:49 PM
lokesh kumar

A small comment before we get on to your problem. Please do not top

post, it makes it difficult to follow the thread. You should also read

the mailing list guidelines at the end of every message.

> On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 6:01 PM, suvayu ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com>

> wrote:

>> xorg.conf has been phased out for many releases now. The support is

>> there for cases when automatic configuration doesn't work. So my

>> question is: have you tried without any xorg.conf? Maybe use xrandr to

>> get the correct resolution working? Something like this might work:

>> $ xrandr --output <HDMI display> --mode <resolution>

>> * *--output <your regular display> --mode <resolution>

On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 15:10, lokesh kumar <lokeshkumar.222@gmail.com> wrote:

> When i am trying to run xrandr command i am getting ,error "can't open

> display 0:0" ,i have removed all xorg.conf files

> do you have any clue abt what could be wrong with my xrandr.

You are not giving any details about your setup. Some important

questions might be:

1. How many and what displays were connected to your machine when you

* tried this?

2. Were you connected remotely over ssh?

Those are the two things that came up. In short more information is always good.

--

Suvayu

hey suvayu,

Sorry for top posting* ^_^'

I am trying to connect an LCD TV via HDMI port,i have mounted filesystem
on my board through NFS,and accessing console via SERIAL cable.

also ,when i try to run "X" command i am getting an error:

"vgaarb:this pci device is not a vga device"

Old 03-30-2012, 08:18 AM
suvayu ali

Hi Lokesh,

On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 16:49, lokesh kumar <lokeshkumar.222@gmail.com> wrote:

>> 2. Were you connected remotely over ssh?
>>

> I am trying to connect an LCD TV via HDMI port,i have mounted filesystem on
> my board through NFS,and accessing console via SERIAL cable.

Have you tried booting with a regular monitor? Are you booting to the
multi-user.target (runlevel 3) or graphical.target (runlevel 5)?

What do you mean by filesystem mounted through NFS? I presume you mean
its only the home directory. If so that should be irrelevant here.

> also ,when i try to run "X" command i am getting an error:
>
> "vgaarb:this pci device is not a vga device"

What graphics hardware do you have? The following command should help
you figure out.

$ lspci | grep -i vga

Usually people don't call X directly, a script is called instead.
Something like startx, startxfce4. startkde ... (depending on desktop
environment or window manager). Any particular reason you are not using
that?

If there is no X session, I would expect xrandr to fail. So I think you
first need to sort out why you have problem running the X server. Maybe
you don't have appropriate graphics drivers (possible if your graphics
card is very new or extremely old).

Hope this helps.

--
Suvayu

Old 03-30-2012, 03:22 PM
Fedora User

On Thu, 29 Mar 2012 17:34:06 +0530
lokesh kumar <lokeshkumar.222@gmail.com> wrote:

> I want to have a display on tv from a customize board via HDMI port,
> what modifications i need to make in xorg.conf and other
> configuration files

None. The key in both KDE and Gnome is to UNcheck unify displays.