Old 03-28-2012, 06:38 PM
Junayeed Ahnaf Nirjhor

Default Nightingale RPM or Repo

Hello,

Is there any repo or RPM for the awesome music player that is
Nightingale ?

Thanks :-)

--

Junayeed Ahnaf Nirjhor

Core Developer Intern, Diaspora

Twitter - @Nirjhor

Old 03-28-2012, 06:53 PM
Richard Shaw

On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 1:38 PM, Junayeed Ahnaf Nirjhor
<zombiegenerator@aol.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Is there any repo or RPM for the awesome music player that is Nightingale ?

I'm assuming you already searched in the repos so my guess is that
because it bundles a number of libraries that it's not acceptable to
Fedora unless upstream or a packager unbundles the libraries. I'm
taking a look out of curiosity, but it looks like it may be a lot of
work.

Richard

Old 03-28-2012, 07:27 PM
Junayeed Ahnaf Nirjhor

I'm assuming you already searched in the repos so my guess is that
because it bundles a number of libraries that it's not acceptable to
Fedora unless upstream or a packager unbundles the libraries. I'm
taking a look out of curiosity, but it looks like it may be a lot of
work.

Richard

Well, I managed to get an Ubuntu .deb file for the previous version
(unfortunately, I can't find the source anymore). And yes, I've
searched with the usual string (not too deep search though.).

Let me know if you have an update :-)

Old 03-29-2012, 03:15 PM
Richard Shaw

On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 2:27 PM, Junayeed Ahnaf Nirjhor
<zombiegenerator@aol.com> wrote:
> Let me know if you have an update :-)

Well, I have good news and I have bad news. First the bad:

This thing is a nightmare to package. The whole build process is
designed for an individual to do a personal install. Not only does it
bundle a number of libraries, but it downloads two dependencies as
part of the build process, one of which is a binary package, so it's
arch specific. It's going to take quite a bit of work to make it
acceptable to distros that don't allow bundled libraries and unless
they make it a priority, I don't think it will happen anytime soon.

Additionally the main makefile doesn't even support an install target.
You have to go into a system specific folder (linux, windows, Solaris,
etc) and all it does then is copy in a few system specific files to
the build location and tar it up.

The good news is I made a very hackish SRPM which you can try out. It
installs into /opt/nightingale because it doesn't install anything to
the appropriate place. It also doesn't provide a desktop file so there
will be no menu entry in Gnome/KDE, etc. The SRPM is quite big because
the source is 43MB by itself and it downloads two other sizable files
as part of the build.

Richard

Old 03-29-2012, 03:42 PM
Junayeed Ahnaf Nirjhor

[...]

Man,

You're THE man. Attach the link to download the SRPM

Old 03-29-2012, 04:00 PM
Richard Shaw

On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 10:42 AM, Junayeed Ahnaf Nirjhor
<zombiegenerator@aol.com> wrote:
> You're THE man. Attach the link to download the SRPM

I haven't had a chance to test it but here you go!

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/34775202/nightingale-1.11.0-1.fc16.src.rpm

Richard

Old 03-30-2012, 04:22 AM
Junayeed Ahnaf Nirjhor

On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 10:42 AM, Junayeed Ahnaf Nirjhor
You're THE man. Attach the link to download the SRPM

I haven't had a chance to test it but here you go!

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/34775202/nightingale-1.11.0-1.fc16.src.rpm

Richard

Tested it. Works very well for a pre-pre alpha SRPM

Now, if you add a .desktop file and maybe (just maybe) set up a repo

Old 03-30-2012, 01:18 PM
Richard Shaw

On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 11:22 PM, Junayeed Ahnaf Nirjhor
<zombiegenerator@aol.com> wrote:
> Tested it. Works very well for a pre-pre alpha SRPM
>
> Now, if you add a .desktop file and maybe (just maybe) set up a repo

I can add it to the SRPM easy enough but that would require you to
rebuild. It's simple enough to create a desktop file. I found the
following for songbird and modified it for nightingale. Just cut and
paste this into a file called nightingale.desktop and place it in
/usr/share/applications. I'm assuming you're supposed to start it with
"nightingale" and not "nightingale-bin".

---start---
[Desktop Entry]
Name=Nighingale
Comment=Nightingale Media Player
Exec=nightingale
Icon=/opt/nightingale/nightingale-512.png
Terminal=0
Type=Application
Encoding=UTF-8
Categories=Audio/Video;
---end---

Richard

Old 03-30-2012, 02:25 PM
Junayeed Ahnaf Nirjhor

[...]

Thank you for your effort. I actually setup a desktop file already.
Any update on the repo?

Old 03-30-2012, 08:01 PM
Richard Shaw

On Fri, Mar 30, 2012 at 9:25 AM, Junayeed Ahnaf Nirjhor
<zombiegenerator@aol.com> wrote:
> Thank you for your effort. I actually setup a desktop file already. Any
> update on the repo?

I have updated to SRPM to:
- include the i686 dependency with conditional to copy in the right tarball.
- added the desktop file
- properly installed the icons
- manually install the system specific files so it doesn't make
tarball we never use.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/34775202/nightingale-1.11.0-2.fc16.src.rpm

I went ahead and posted on the forum to see if there was any interest
in making it a supported package but they don't seem to interested at
the moment.

Richard