Old 03-28-2012, 08:26 PM
"T.C. Hollingsworth"

Default Is it me or is it sudo?

elp

On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 1:17 PM, Mark Haney <markh@abemblem.com> wrote:
> On 03/28/2012 12:02 PM, William Hooper wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 9:18 AM, Mark Haney<markh@abemblem.com> *wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm kinda confused by the sudo problem I'm having. *I've edited the main
>>> file with visudo to include:
>>>
>>> ## Allow root to run any commands anywhere
>>> root * *ALL=(ALL) * * * ALL
>>> markh * ALL=(ALL) * * * NOPASSWD: ALL
>>

>> Do any of the other lines match the markh user? *I believe sudo goes
>> through the file and uses the last matching entry.
>>

> Hmm, no, not that I can see. *That's the only entry with my username in it.

Are you a member of the "wheel" group? (You are added to this group
when you check the "Administrator" checkbox on the user account setup
screen that appears on the first reboot after installation.) Check
with the `groups` command.

If so, Fedora's default sudoers enables sudo for the wheel group (look
for a line starting with %wheel). Try commenting out this line.

-T.C.

Old 03-28-2012, 08:27 PM
Reindl Harald

Am 28.03.2012 22:20, schrieb Mark Haney:
> The only real issue there is I'm usually running multiple consoles and I don't always pay enough attention to keep
> track of which console is running root. If I use sudo I know that I can't do anything stupid in a console that
> will trash the system. I may blow up my own crap, but that's why we have backups. And that's why sudo is much
> safer to use than logging in as root, at least from the command line.

the promt in linux supports colors since long ago
which is smarter than guess by error messages that
it was a root command happily with not enough
permissions

/root/.basrhc (red prompt):
PS1="[33[1;31m][u@h:w]$[33[0m] "

~/.bashrc (green prompt)
PS1="[33[1;32m][u@h:w]$[33[0m] "

i use the follwoing schema since many years

RED: root on production servers
ORANGE: root on my machines
YELOW: root on backup.machines
GREEN: my user
LIGHTBLUE: buildusers
DARKBLUE: vm hosts

no, i have no good documentation, i googled around
for colors i searched :-)