Old 03-29-2012, 03:33 AM
Paul Allen Newell

Default parallel bash scripts

On 3/28/2012 8:27 PM, Ed Greshko wrote:

On 03/29/2012 11:15 AM, Paul Allen Newell wrote:

On 3/28/2012 4:39 PM, Mark LaPierre wrote:

On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 6:37 PM, Mark LaPierre<marklapier@aol.com> wrote:

Check out the redirection at the end of each command. 1>&2 redirects
the standard out of your child command to the standard error which then
appears in the parent shell.

Is anyone using tcsh and can tell me if I am correct in my understanding that
"whatever>& whatever.out" catches stdout and stderr?

You do know that a simple google of your question would provide you with the answer,
right? :-)

http://www.bo.infn.it/alice/alice-doc/mll-doc/usrgde/node18.html

is just one of the many responses.... And in it you'd see....

& outfile # redirects stderr& stdout to outfile in csh, Tcsh

Ed:

I've done enough googles to be pretty certain I was right (as your link
does confirm), but I was asking for a confirm of what knew. Too much
reading this thread of "2>&1" and making myself confused.

That being said, your suggested link does give me one better than
googling tcsh ... its nice to see the bourne and tcsh version in one place.

Thanks,
Paul

Old 03-29-2012, 03:43 AM
Ed Greshko

On 03/29/2012 11:33 AM, Paul Allen Newell wrote:
> I've done enough googles to be pretty certain I was right (as your link does
> confirm), but I was asking for a confirm of what knew. Too much reading this thread
> of "2>&1" and making myself confused.
>
> That being said, your suggested link does give me one better than googling tcsh ...
> its nice to see the bourne and tcsh version in one place.

And you have the power to test too....

echo "Hello" > x

cat x /tmp/nosuchfilehere >& outfile

Look to see what is in outfile....

--
Do not condemn the judgment of another because it differs from your own. You may both
be wrong. -- Dandemis

Old 03-29-2012, 03:47 AM
Paul Allen Newell

I've done enough googles to be pretty certain I was right (as your link does
confirm), but I was asking for a confirm of what knew. Too much reading this thread
of "2>&1" and making myself confused.

That being said, your suggested link does give me one better than googling tcsh ...
its nice to see the bourne and tcsh version in one place.

And you have the power to test too....

echo "Hello"> x

cat x /tmp/nosuchfilehere>& outfile

Look to see what is in outfile....

Ed:

I not only have tested, I've been using it for ages. As I said, I was
real certain (I should have stated that as "through googling and
testing"). I just wanted a confirm as I got scrambled reading the thread.

I apologize for taking up the bandwidth by asking,
Thanks,
Paul

Old 03-29-2012, 03:53 AM
Ed Greshko

On 03/29/2012 11:47 AM, Paul Allen Newell wrote:
> I apologize for taking up the bandwidth by asking,

Yeah, it does some like a waste of bandwidth to ask questions to which you already
know the answer and then have it read by "hundreds" of people that may feel they want
to answer and help....because they really think you've asked a question to which you
didn't already know the answer.

Old 03-29-2012, 03:54 AM
Paul Allen Newell

I apologize for taking up the bandwidth by asking,

Yeah, it does some like a waste of bandwidth to ask questions to which you already
know the answer and then have it read by "hundreds" of people that may feel they want
to answer and help....because they really think you've asked a question to which you
didn't already know the answer.

Understood and accepted