Old 03-28-2012, 01:14 AM
bruce

Default parallel bash scripts

hey rick...

haven't talked to you in a very long time!

--
i tried the nohup, but couldn't get it to work because of the fact
that my processes have infinite loops.. so my test never got beyond

i can do a paste of what i'm testing if you have a few minutes to take
a look on this

thanks

bruce
badouglas@gmail.com

Old 03-28-2012, 01:37 AM
Mark LaPierre

Check out the redirection at the end of each command. 1>&2 redirects
the standard out of your child command to the standard error which then
appears in the parent shell. At the end the last & launches your
command into a background shell and then moves on to launch the next
command. The redirections don't care if the command ever terminates.

The result is that both commands are launched and the parent shell
terminates leaving the standard error attached to the terminal that the
parent was launched in.

Old 03-28-2012, 02:23 AM
Mark LaPierre

I don't understand what you are trying to do.

Do you want to run these commands in series? Run one, wait for it to
complete, then start the other?

If that's where you want to go then leave off the trailing ampersand but
keep the redirection. The output of the first program will appear in
the terminal due to the redirection. When the first program ends the
second program will start. That one needs redirection of standard out
to standard error too so that it's output will appear in the terminal as
well.

Solution with trailing ampersand is appropriate for endless loops.
Solution without trailing ampersand is appropriate for serial operation.

I put the loop counter in the demo program just to stop the thing
without having to us ps and kill. Without the loop counter they will
continue to print inter-twined messages forever.

Does the program webservice_setup.sh start programs itself that you are
trying to read the output from? Are they correctly redirected to send
their standard output to standard error?