Old 03-27-2012, 06:34 PM
Mark Haney

Default WTH is wrong with PackageKit?

Why is it that PackageKit is sitting in the background constantly
leaving me pretty much unable to install any software from the command
line? Did I configure something to make it do that? And how in the
world can I make it stop?

--

Mark Haney
Software Developer/Consultant

Old 03-27-2012, 06:45 PM
Konstantin Svist

Why is it that PackageKit is sitting in the background constantly
leaving me pretty much unable to install any software from the command
line? Did I configure something to make it do that? And how in the
world can I make it stop?

yum remove *PackageKit* #

Old 03-27-2012, 06:52 PM
Richard Shaw

On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 1:34 PM, Mark Haney <markh@abemblem.com> wrote:
> Why is it that PackageKit is sitting in the background constantly leaving me
> pretty much unable to install any software from the command line? *Did I
> configure something to make it do that? *And how in the world can I make it
> stop?

This has come up several times before. It should usually only take
PackageKit about 10-45 seconds to update after the last yum
transaction, if it goes into minutes it often means it got stuck. I'm
not sure on what but I usually have to "kill -9" it.

Richard

Old 03-27-2012, 06:54 PM
Mark Haney

Why is it that PackageKit is sitting in the background constantly
leaving me pretty much unable to install any software from the command
line? Did I configure something to make it do that? And how in the
world can I make it stop?

yum remove *PackageKit* #

I got it. For some insane reason PK runs in the background a lot (all
the time?) if you have it set to check for updates daily. Don't know
about y'all, but that seems a bit heavy handed.

Old 03-27-2012, 06:59 PM
Andy Blanchard

I got it. *For some insane reason PK runs in the background a lot (all the time?) if you have it set to check for updates daily. *Don't know about y'all, but that seems a bit heavy handed.
Sounds like you've hit the same bug myself and several others have.* Is so, it's not PackageKit causing the problem so much as Apper repeatedly calling it - about every five minutes or so seems to be the norm when this happens.* If you don't mind doing updates manually, then uninstalling Apper will fix the problem.

--
Andy

The only person to have all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe

Old 03-27-2012, 07:00 PM
Richard Shaw

On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 1:54 PM, Mark Haney <markh@abemblem.com> wrote:
> I got it. *For some insane reason PK runs in the background a lot (all the
> time?) if you have it set to check for updates daily. *Don't know about
> y'all, but that seems a bit heavy handed.

Hopefully I describe this accurately, but it's actually much worse
than that. The PackageKit yum plugin causes PK to update after every
yum transaction. While this is necessary as PK is used for the GUI
updater, I think the default wait time after the last yum transaction
is a bit short.

I think uninstalling apper and the yum PK plugin would probably be
better than ripping out everything PK.

Richard

Old 03-27-2012, 07:10 PM
Richard Hughes

On 27 March 2012 20:00, Richard Shaw <hobbes1069@gmail.com> wrote:
> I think uninstalling apper and the yum PK plugin would probably be
> better than ripping out everything PK.

Just remove PackageKit-yum-plugin if you don't want PK to check it's
caches after each command line action. I agree its a nasty bug in
apper tho.

Richard.

Old 03-28-2012, 01:16 PM
Mark Haney

Sounds like you've hit the same bug myself and several others have. Is
so, it's not PackageKit causing the problem so much as Apper repeatedly
calling it - about every five minutes or so seems to be the norm when
this happens. If you don't mind doing updates manually, then
uninstalling Apper will fix the problem.

Actually I rather prefer it. I'm in the CLI so much I don't want to
have to switch to a GUI just for installing a package.