Old 03-27-2012, 05:52 PM
Mark Haney

Default Using CPAN to update perl modules

This may sound kinda silly, but it's the first time I've ever really
encountered this before. I'm finding I have a need to update some perl
modules that aren't yet packaged by Fedora. Is using CPAN to update
them going to cause any problems? Are there any caveats to using CPAN
to install other modules not packaged in RPM form?

--

Mark Haney
Software Developer/Consultant

Old 03-27-2012, 06:02 PM
Richard Shaw

On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 12:52 PM, Mark Haney <markh@abemblem.com> wrote:
> This may sound kinda silly, but it's the first time I've ever really
> encountered this before. *I'm finding I have a need to update some perl
> modules that aren't yet packaged by Fedora. *Is using CPAN to update them
> going to cause any problems? *Are there any caveats to using CPAN to install
> other modules not packaged in RPM form?

I'm not a pearl expert but I have seen MANY recommendations not to mix
RPM and CPAN perl modules. I can think of two options. If you have
some basic RPM packaging skills then this may be your best bet:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Perl/cpanspec

It looks like it downloads the module source and tries to create a
spec file for it so you can build an RPM.

Or cpan2rpm, which will create a full RPM for you but I'm not sure how
well the resultant RPM meets the Fedora packaging guidelines:

http://perl.arix.com/cpan2rpm/

Richard

Old 03-27-2012, 06:15 PM
Mark Haney

I'm not a pearl expert but I have seen MANY recommendations not to mix
RPM and CPAN perl modules. I can think of two options. If you have
some basic RPM packaging skills then this may be your best bet:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Perl/cpanspec

It looks like it downloads the module source and tries to create a
spec file for it so you can build an RPM.

I'm no n00b to building RPMs, so that isn't a big issue. Thanks for the
info I'll look into a bit more and see what I come up with.

Old 03-27-2012, 09:52 PM
Sam Varshavchik

Mark Haney writes:

I'm not a pearl expert but I have seen MANY recommendations not to mix
RPM and CPAN perl modules. I can think of two options. If you have
some basic RPM packaging skills then this may be your best bet:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Perl/cpanspec

It looks like it downloads the module source and tries to create a
spec file for it so you can build an RPM.

I'm no n00b to building RPMs, so that isn't a big issue. Thanks for the
info I'll look into a bit more and see what I come up with.

You say you just want a newer version.

Chances are that if you take the existing version's source rpm, and frob it
appropriately, you'll get the right results.

Old 03-28-2012, 03:06 AM
Geoffrey Leach

On 03/27/2012 10:52:42 AM, Mark Haney wrote:
> This may sound kinda silly, but it's the first time I've ever really
> encountered this before. I'm finding I have a need to update some
> perl
> modules that aren't yet packaged by Fedora. Is using CPAN to update
> them going to cause any problems? Are there any caveats to using
> CPAN to install other modules not packaged in RPM form?

Short answer, not a problem.

cpan will install the module in /usrlocal, where Perl will find it
before the module installed from an rpm. (See output of perl -V). cpan
does not have an uninstall option, so if there's an rpm with a later
version, and you install it, perl will not see the new module unless
you remove the one you installed with cpan. Removing the cpan-installed
version should not be a problem, unless the module is very complicated.
cpan leaves the source for the installed module in ~root/.cpan/build;
your module might have a make uninstall, if you're lucky:-)

Good luck.