FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 03-27-2012, 05:49 PM
"Wolfgang S. Rupprecht"
 
Default dual monitors - one desktop image spanning both?

Is it possible to get one backdrop image in F16 to span both monitors in
a dual-monitor setup? I'm using xfce4 and the desktop settings tool
seems to only offer a per-monitor image selection. Is there some way of
selecting one image perhaps from gconfig directly? Ditto for the login
screen. Having the same cloned Verne image on both monitors is kind of
lame. It would look a lot nicer if one image spanned both monitors.

-wolfgang
--
g+: https://plus.google.com/114566345864337108516/about
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
 
Old 03-27-2012, 06:08 PM
"Darryl L. Pierce"
 
Default dual monitors - one desktop image spanning both?

On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 10:49:18AM -0700, Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wrote:
>
> Is it possible to get one backdrop image in F16 to span both monitors in
> a dual-monitor setup? I'm using xfce4 and the desktop settings tool
> seems to only offer a per-monitor image selection. Is there some way of
> selecting one image perhaps from gconfig directly? Ditto for the login
> screen. Having the same cloned Verne image on both monitors is kind of
> lame. It would look a lot nicer if one image spanned both monitors.

I *thought* you could tell it to "Span" when setting it (rather than
zoom/tile/center/etc.). Is that option not available?

--
Darryl L. Pierce, Sr. Software Engineer @ Red Hat, Inc.
Delivering value year after year.
Red Hat ranks #1 in value among software vendors.
http://www.redhat.com/promo/vendor/

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
 
Old 03-27-2012, 06:13 PM
suvayu ali
 
Default dual monitors - one desktop image spanning both?

On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 20:08, Darryl L. Pierce <dpierce@redhat.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 10:49:18AM -0700, Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wrote:
>>
>> Is it possible to get one backdrop image in F16 to span both monitors in
>> a dual-monitor setup? *I'm using xfce4 and the desktop settings tool
>> seems to only offer a per-monitor image selection. *Is there some way of
>> selecting one image perhaps from gconfig directly? *Ditto for the login
>> screen. *Having the same cloned Verne image on both monitors is kind of
>> lame. *It would look a lot nicer if one image spanned both monitors.
>
> I *thought* you could tell it to "Span" when setting it (rather than
> zoom/tile/center/etc.). Is that option not available?

Its still per display. As for the OP, I don't think this is possible
in XFCE. You could split the image with imagemagick and use the two
images on the two displays.

Hope this helps.

--
Suvayu

Open source is the future. It sets us free.
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
 
Old 03-27-2012, 06:31 PM
"Wolfgang S. Rupprecht"
 
Default dual monitors - one desktop image spanning both?

suvayu ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com> writes:
> You could split the image with imagemagick and use the two
> images on the two displays.

Thanks. That's effectively what I ended up doing (using gthumb).

-wolfgang
--
g+: https://plus.google.com/114566345864337108516/about
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
 
Old 03-27-2012, 10:03 PM
Roger
 
Default dual monitors - one desktop image spanning both?

On 28/03/12 04:49, Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wrote:

Is it possible to get one backdrop image in F16 to span both monitors in
a dual-monitor setup? I'm using xfce4 and the desktop settings tool
seems to only offer a per-monitor image selection. Is there some way of
selecting one image perhaps from gconfig directly? Ditto for the login
screen. Having the same cloned Verne image on both monitors is kind of
lame. It would look a lot nicer if one image spanned both monitors.

-wolfgang

Mind does, no problems, both on Fedora 16 and Ubuntu
Roger
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
 
Old 03-28-2012, 08:19 AM
"Wolfgang S. Rupprecht"
 
Default dual monitors - one desktop image spanning both?

suvayu ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com> writes:
> You could split the image with imagemagick and use the two
> images on the two displays.

It turns out splitting the image gives one the option of leaving a gap
between the left and the right images. My monitors have a 1.7" gap from
the frams between the LCD panels. Splitting the image without
introducing a gap makes things that cross the monitors look like they
are being shoved through a hyperspace portal. Cropping to a virtual
screen that includes the of 170 pixels gap makes things look much more
natural.

-wolfgang
--
g+: https://plus.google.com/114566345864337108516/about
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 04:49 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org