Old 03-27-2012, 12:09 AM
"Symersky, Henry"

Default FC15/16 NetworkManager drops network connection

Title: FC15/16 NetworkManager drops network connection

Dear all,

I may have found answer to my previous question regarding disabled login and the message:

"could not update ICEauthority file /home/username/.ICEauthority"

I found that whenever I logout as root, the NetworkManager closes ethernet connection.

So whenever I want to login as normal user, it cannot access the home directory, because the network is down.

Can someone please explain to me how to configure the NetworkManager in order to KEEP ETEHERNET CONNECTTION EVEN AFTER LOGGING OUT ??

Thanks.

Henry

Old 03-27-2012, 09:09 AM
mike cloaked

On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 1:09 AM, Symersky, Henry
<henry.symersky@rosalindfranklin.edu> wrote:

> Can someone please explain to me how to configure the NetworkManager in
> order to KEEP ETEHERNET CONNECTTION EVEN AFTER LOGGING OUT ??
> Thanks.

Usually in the past (well for me always in the past once NM was fully
operational) you can go to edit connections in NM, and make sure that
the particular connection has its check box checked for making that
connection system-wide. Then the connection is active as soon as the
system boots irrespective of whether any user is logged in. So for
the default wired connection you can do this, as well as for any
wireless connection also.

Unless things have changed very recently this has always worked just
fine (at least for several years anyway)

--
mike c

Old 03-27-2012, 07:02 PM
"Symersky, Henry"

Mike,

Thanks. I resolved it.
Should you ever need it:
fc15/16 Network Connections GUI has a check box in the lower left corner.
If it is unchecked, the NetworkManager will drop the connection after logout.
If you need a permanent connection, it has to be checked.
It seems that with this option enabled, any user can fiddle with the network setup,
but I have not tested it yet. I have just several disciplined users.

Henry