Old 04-05-2008, 10:42 PM
Albert Graham

Default Firewire Stack in F8 Howto Wanted - SOLVED.

I just wanted to close this issue as it is now resolved.

It turns out I had the "Firewire 1394" option disabled in the BIOS,
However because "lspci" does show a firewire port (TSB43AB22/A
IEEE-1394a-2000) I had assume the BIOS had it enabled. Today I got a
chance to reboot this box and checked the BIOS and it was disabled, now
lspci show two firewire controllers!

07:03.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): VIA Technologies, Inc. IEEE 1394 Host
Controller (rev c0)
08:08.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Texas Instruments TSB43AB22/A
IEEE-1394a-2000 Controller (PHY/Link)

Now dvgrab works perfectly with this motherboard and controller

I note that some people had suggested (thanks) that the original
controller was fully supported. This motherboard does have a FW
interface on the motherboard, so maybe if I had connected to that one it
would have worked - TODO.

Other good news, my Mini DV camera also has a USB web cam mode and using
the Linux uvcvideo module the webcam works perfectly - this is a V4L
device (i.e. /dev/video1) so will work with ZoneMinder (As I originally
wanted - albeit the quality is not great)

Would be great if ZoneMinder would work with DV/firewire.

Thanks.

Albert.

Albert Graham wrote:

Hi,

Can any one, point me to a Howto that explains how to use the new
Firewire stack in F7/8,

I'm trying to get my Mini DV camera to work with via Firewire,
actually was hoping to use the Camara with ZoneMinder.

lspci shows:
08:08.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Texas Instruments Controller (PHY/Link)

lsmod shows:

firewire_ohci 19137 0
firewire_core 36353 1 firewire_ohci
crc_itu_t 5953 1 firewire_core

However, no devices in /dev/fwX appear to be created ?

dvgrab does not see a device connected:

#dvgrab
Error: no camera exists

I checked the fedora documentation, but could not find any docs on the
subject.

BTW: I'm using kernel 2.6.24.2-7.fc8PAE

TIA.

Albert.