Old 03-27-2012, 02:59 PM
Ed Greshko

Default minimal install CD versus Pentium 4

On 03/27/2012 10:48 PM, Michael Hennebry wrote:
> On Mon, 26 Mar 2012, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 2012-03-26 at 18:50 -0500, Michael Hennebry wrote:
>
>>> My machine has 4 GB.
>>> I got in March 2006. NX for pentium 4s were available in 2004.
>>> That said, how do I find out for sure whether my pentium has NX?
>>
>> grep -i nx /proc/cpuinfo
>
> Stepping 9.
> No NX.
>
> Of course, the next question is whether the installer or installee require NX.

Well, I install on a Vbox VM and it doesn't have NX in its flags.

--
Do not condemn the judgment of another because it differs from your own. You may both
be wrong. -- Dandemis

Old 03-27-2012, 08:13 PM
James Wilkinson

Michael Hennebry wrote:
> Stepping 9.
> No NX.
>
> Of course, the next question is whether the installer or installee require NX.

No, but it allows the kernel to block certain sorts of attacks. I’m
pretty sure Fedora kernels still use Exec-Shield on non-NX processors,
which should provide most of the same benefits:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Security/Features#Exec-Shield

(Also note that it’s possible that your BIOS disables NX, in which case
it wouldn’t show up in /proc/cpuinfo).

But you’ll make best use of 4GB of RAM with the PAE kernel anyway.

James

--
E-mail: james@ | “Does exactly what it says on the tin.” ...
aprilcottage.co.uk | I’ve got a tin at home: it says “Open other end”.

Old 03-27-2012, 08:32 PM
Joe Zeff