Old 03-18-2012, 09:13 PM
Michael Hennebry

Default booting from DVD image on hard drive partition

I have a bootable DVD iso that I can copy to a hard drive partition.
How, if at all, can I boot from that partition?
My first thought is to chainload from grub,
but I can't figure out what to tell the chainload command.
The syntax of the command, I think I understand.
The issue, I hope, is at what part of the partition do I point chainload?
I've found a pdf of the El Torito standard, but its slow going.

--
Michael hennebry@web.cs.ndsu.NoDak.edu
whom I teach not to run with scissors,

Old 03-20-2012, 03:59 PM
Michael Hennebry

I have a bootable DVD iso that I can copy to a hard drive partition.
How, if at all, can I boot from that partition?
My first thought is to chainload from grub,
but I can't figure out what to tell the chainload command.
The syntax of the command, I think I understand.
The issue, I hope, is at what part of the partition do I point chainload?
I've found a pdf of the El Torito standard, but its slow going.

I can mount the partition.
Does that help?

Old 03-20-2012, 06:48 PM
Andras Simon

2012/3/20, Michael Hennebry <hennebry@web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu>:
> On Sun, 18 Mar 2012, Michael Hennebry wrote:
>
>> I have a bootable DVD iso that I can copy to a hard drive partition.
>> How, if at all, can I boot from that partition?
>> My first thought is to chainload from grub,
>> but I can't figure out what to tell the chainload command.
>> The syntax of the command, I think I understand.
>> The issue, I hope, is at what part of the partition do I point chainload?
>> I've found a pdf of the El Torito standard, but its slow going.
>
> I can mount the partition.
> Does that help?

You may find this useful:
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/users/2011-April/396056.html