FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 03-23-2012, 09:42 PM
jackson byers
 
Default booting from DVD image on hard drive partition

>> Note:" without making any additional physical media", i.e, no DVD, just the iso
>> Note: "use your existing GRUB boot loader"

>It assumes that I have grub2. I don't.
>That is why I didn't use it.

I think you are wrong here;
the F16 is first to use grub2, yes.
But the f16 doc says to use your *existing* GRUB boot loader,
which for your F14 is your legacy GRUB.

So if you have the files extracted from the F16 iso
stored somewhere on your F14,
you should be able to directly use the Horsley prescription.

Jack
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
 
Old 03-23-2012, 09:52 PM
stan
 
Default booting from DVD image on hard drive partition

On Fri, 23 Mar 2012 16:30:19 -0500 (CDT)
Michael Hennebry <hennebry@web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu> wrote:

> On Fri, 23 Mar 2012, stan wrote:

> > I think pentium 4 is fairly old hardware. I doubt either the kernel
> > developers or Fedora developers are using such hardware, and so you
> > could be hitting a regression that wasn't caught during
> > kernel development because no one is running that hardware.
>
> Any idea how I would find out for sure?

Sorry, I don't, and doing so is likely to be difficult - you could try
searching. But you seem to be a rare case having a problem installing
from the DVD, and you have rare hardware; correlation isn't causation,
but... To see if it was introduced with the branch from 2.6.3x to 3.x,
which seems like a logical assumption, you could try using the F15
install DVD. It still used the 2.6.3x kernels, though it is now updated
to 3.2.x kernels as 2.6.42.x.

> > No. I am suggesting you create a custom initramfs for the DVD
> > kernel for your system. Use it instead of the generic DVD
> > initramfs. I am suggesting this because it might allow the boot
> > process to bypass the problem it is having running the DVD kernel.
> > It should still find the
>
> That also means that I would have to generate the image somehow.
> I've no idea how I would do that.
>
That's the command I posted a few posts ago.
/sbin/dracut -f -H -v --debug custom-2.6.42.10-1.20120315.fc15.x86_64.img 2.6.42.10-1.20120315.fc15.x86_64 > dracut_output 2>&1
You use dracut. Whatever name you use where I've used custom, you need
to use it in the grub boot stanza for booting the ISO from the hard
drive. In the stanza you posted before,
initrd /isolinux/initrd.img
replace initrd.img with whatever you call the new image you create with
dracut.
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
 
Old 03-23-2012, 09:52 PM
Joe Zeff
 
Default booting from DVD image on hard drive partition

On 03/23/2012 03:42 PM, jackson byers wrote:

I think you are wrong here;
the F16 is first to use grub2, yes.
But the f16 doc says to use your*existing* GRUB boot loader,
which for your F14 is your legacy GRUB.


If you upgrade to F16, you'll have grub2 installed, but you'll still be
using legacy grub. It's not hard to change over, but it's something
you'll have to do for yourself. In fact, the upgrade will even modify
/boot/grub/grub.conf correctly just as it did before grub2 came out.

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
 
Old 03-23-2012, 10:00 PM
Michael Hennebry
 
Default booting from DVD image on hard drive partition

On Fri, 23 Mar 2012, jackson byers wrote:


Note:" without making any additional physical media", i.e, no DVD, just the iso
Note: "use your existing GRUB boot loader"



It assumes that I have grub2. I don't.
That is why I didn't use it.


I think you are wrong here;
the F16 is first to use grub2, yes.
But the f16 doc says to use your *existing* GRUB boot loader,
which for your F14 is your legacy GRUB.


From the docs:

12.2. Editing the GRUB Configuration
The GRUB boot loader uses the configuration files /etc/default/grub and the scripts in etc/grub.d/. To configure GRUB to boot from the new files, add a boot stanza to /etc/grub.d/40_custom that refers to them.
A minimal boot stanza looks like the following listing:



menuentry "Fedora Linux" {
set root=(hd0,0)
linux /vmlinuz-install
initrd /initrd.img-install
}


The stanza is for grub2.
Also from 12.2:

When you are finished, run grub2-mkconfig with root privileges and open the grub.cfg file to view the updated configuration. Locate your new menu entry stanza and determine its place in the stanza order.


grub2-mkconfig is grub2-only.

On Fri, 23 Mar 2012, jackson byers wrote:

So if you have the files extracted from the F16 iso
stored somewhere on your F14,
you should be able to directly use the Horsley prescription.


That is what I have been trying to do lately.
It hasn't been working.

--
Michael hennebry@web.cs.ndsu.NoDak.edu
"On Monday, I'm gonna have to tell my kindergarten class,
whom I teach not to run with scissors,
that my fiance ran me through with a broadsword." -- Lily
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
 
Old 03-24-2012, 12:03 AM
stan
 
Default booting from DVD image on hard drive partition

On Fri, 23 Mar 2012 16:30:19 -0500 (CDT)
Michael Hennebry <hennebry@web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu> wrote:

> On Fri, 23 Mar 2012, stan wrote:

> > I think pentium 4 is fairly old hardware. I doubt either the kernel
> > developers or Fedora developers are using such hardware, and so you
> > could be hitting a regression that wasn't caught during
> > kernel development because no one is running that hardware.
>
> Any idea how I would find out for sure?

This bugzilla seems especially pertinent to your problem.
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=730007
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
 
Old 03-25-2012, 01:28 AM
Michael Hennebry
 
Default booting from DVD image on hard drive partition

I managed to boot from the F13, F14 and F15 install isos.
Still no go with F16.

To boot F13, I needed to point at a partition
that was a copy of the F13 iso.
To boot F14 and F15, I needed to point at a
filesystem that had their respective isos as files.

For F15, I did the install. F16 seems to be impossible.
I've still got crap.
Here is the grub stanza:
title Install Fedora15 from iso
root (hd0,2)
pause have rooted
find /isolinux15/vmlinuz
pause have finded
kernel /isolinux15/vmlinuz askmethod
pause have kerneled
find /isolinux15/initrd.img
pause have finded
initrd /isolinux15/initrd.img
pause have initrded
# ks=http://www.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu/~hennebry/anaconda-ks.cfg

I couldn't use the kickstart file.
I kept getting messages like this:
Unable to read package metadata. This may be due to a
missing repodata directory. Please ensure that your
install tree has been correctly generated.

Cannot retrieve repository metadata (repomd.xml) for
repository: Fedora 15-i386. Please verify its path and
try again.

The kickstart file is attached.

The old /boot was /dev/sdb2 .
The new one is /dev/sda2 .
When asking where to put the bootloader,
the choices were the mbr of /dev/sdb or the first sector of /dev/sdb2 .
I chose the latter. I'm not sure why the other mbr was not an option.

When I first tried what was supposed to be the initial reboot,
my old /boot , now called /shoe , was used.
I pushed reset, went into setup and reversed the hard drive boot order.
The result was not quite the blue screen of death.
It also had the word GRUB.
I pushed reset again, went into setup and reversed the hard drive boot order.
This time I went into the grub command line and chainloaded into (hd0,1).
I am currently using the result.

How do I make my machine boot with the new /boot ?

At the moment, I do not have vim or gvim.
Here is what happened when I tried to get them:
[root@localhost ~]# yum install gvim
rpmdb: __db_meta_setup: /var/lib/rpm/Name: unexpected file type or format
error: cannot open Name index using db3 - Invalid argument (22)
rpmdb: __db_meta_setup: /var/lib/rpm/Providename: unexpected file type or format
error: cannot open Providename index using db3 - Invalid argument (22)
Loaded plugins: langpacks, presto, refresh-packagekit
Adding en_US to language list
rpmdb: __db_meta_setup: /var/lib/rpm/Name: unexpected file type or format
rpmdb: __db_meta_setup: /var/lib/rpm/Name: unexpected file type or format
fedora/metalink | 24 kB 00:00
Could not parse metalink https://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/metalink?repo=fedora-$releasever&arch=i386 error was
No repomd file

Error: Cannot retrieve repository metadata (repomd.xml) for repository: fedora. Please verify its path and try again


How do I get gvim?

--
Michael hennebry@web.cs.ndsu.NoDak.edu
"On Monday, I'm gonna have to tell my kindergarten class,
whom I teach not to run with scissors,
that my fiance ran me through with a broadsword." -- Lily# Kickstart file automatically generated by anaconda.

#version=DEVEL
install
cdrom
lang en_US.UTF-8
keyboard us
network --onboot yes --bootproto dhcp --noipv6
#network --onboot yes --device eth0 --bootproto dhcp --noipv6
timezone --utc America/North_Dakota/New_Salem
rootpw --iscrypted $6$kwBdvuhPC0cEY23L$rXyZL5Scid5uGSOmh2DjKkVObujaNE VAZpNMfbuUSMQ3w96hKJBDYDXVv8AO4l9y5e8NHZalhYk0qYmZ 2ZR1O/
selinux --enforcing
authconfig --enableshadow --passalgo=sha512 --enablefingerprint
firewall --service=ssh
# The following is the partition information you requested
# Note that any partitions you deleted are not expressed
# here so unless you clear all partitions first, this is
# not guaranteed to work
#clearpart --none

#part None --fstype=vfat --onpart=sda1 --noformat
#part /boot --fstype=ext4 --onpart=sda2
#part None --fstype=ext3 --label="ide3" --onpart=sda3 --noformat

#part swap --onpart=sda5
#part None --fstype=ext3 --label="/home" --onpart=sda6 --noformat
#part None --fstype=ext3 --label="ide7" --onpart=sda7 --noformat

#part None --fstype=ext3 --label="/home1" --onpart=sdb1 --noformat
#part / --fstype=ext4 --onpart=sdb10
#part /var --fstype=ext4 --onpart=sdb11
#part /shoe --fstype=ext3 --label="/boot1" --onpart=sdb2 --noformat
#part None --fstype=ext3 --label="/1" --onpart=sdb3 --noformat

#part None --fstype=ext3 --label="/var1" --onpart=sdb5 --noformat
#part swap --onpart=sdb6
#part None --fstype=ext3 --onpart=sdb7 --noformat
#part None --fstype=ext3 --onpart=sdb8 --noformat
#part None --fstype=ext3 --label="sata400-9" --onpart=sdb9 --noformat



bootloader --location=mbr --driveorder=sda,sdb --append="rhgb quiet"
repo --name="Fedora 15 - i386" --baseurl=http://mirror.its.uidaho.edu/pub/fedora/linux/releases/15/Everything/i386/os/ --cost=1000
repo --name='=Adobe Systems Incorporated' --baseurl=http://linuxdownload.adobe.com/linux/i386/
#
repo --name='=Evolution updates and EWS (Fedora_15)' --baseurl=http://download.meego.com/live/home:/dwmw2:/evo/Fedora_15/
#
repo --name='=Fedora 15 - i386' --mirrorlist=https://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/metalink?repo=fedora-15&arch=i386
#baseurl=http://download.fedoraproject.org/pub/fedora/linux/releases/16/Everything/i386/os/
#
repo --name='=Fedora 15 - i386 - Updates' --mirrorlist=https://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/metalink?repo=updates-released-f15&arch=i386
#baseurl=http://download.fedoraproject.org/pub/fedora/linux/updates/15/i386/
#
repo --name='=google-chrome' --baseurl=http://dl.google.com/linux/chrome/rpm/stable/i386
#
repo --name='=RPM Fusion for Fedora 15 - Free' --mirrorlist=http://mirrors.rpmfusion.org/mirrorlist?repo=free-fedora-15&arch=i386
#baseurl=http://download1.rpmfusion.org/free/fedora/releases/16/Everything/i386/os/
#
repo --name='=RPM Fusion for Fedora 15 - Free - Updates' --mirrorlist=http://mirrors.rpmfusion.org/mirrorlist?repo=free-fedora-updates-released-15&arch=i386
#baseurl=http://download1.rpmfusion.org/free/fedora/updates/15/i386/
#
repo --name='=RPM Fusion for Fedora 15 - Nonfree' --mirrorlist=http://mirrors.rpmfusion.org/mirrorlist?repo=nonfree-fedora-15&arch=i386
#baseurl=http://download1.rpmfusion.org/nonfree/fedora/releases/16/Everything/i386/os/
#
repo --name='=RPM Fusion for Fedora 15 - Nonfree - Updates' --mirrorlist=http://mirrors.rpmfusion.org/mirrorlist?repo=nonfree-fedora-updates-released-15&arch=i386
#baseurl=http://download1.rpmfusion.org/nonfree/fedora/updates/16/i386/
#
repo --name='=Fedora 15 - i386 - VirtualBox' --baseurl=http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/rpm/fedora/15/i386
#

%packages
@admin-tools
@authoring-and-publishing
@base
@core
@editors
@engineering-and-scientific
@fonts
@gnome-desktop
@games
@graphical-internet
@graphics
@hardware-support
@input-methods
@java
@office
@online-docs
@printing
@sound-and-video
@text-internet
@base-x
@xfce-desktop
@kde-desktop
xfsprogs
mtools
gpgme
openoffice.org-opensymbol-fonts
gvfs-obexftp
hdparm
gok
iok
vorbis-tools
jack-audio-connection-kit
ncftp
gdm
%end
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
 
Old 03-25-2012, 05:31 PM
stan
 
Default booting from DVD image on hard drive partition

On Sat, 24 Mar 2012 21:28:43 -0500 (CDT)
Michael Hennebry <hennebry@web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu> wrote:

> I managed to boot from the F13, F14 and F15 install isos.
> Still no go with F16.
>
> To boot F13, I needed to point at a partition
> that was a copy of the F13 iso.
> To boot F14 and F15, I needed to point at a
> filesystem that had their respective isos as files.
>
> For F15, I did the install. F16 seems to be impossible.
> I've still got crap.
> Here is the grub stanza:
> title Install Fedora15 from iso
> root (hd0,2)
> pause have rooted
> find /isolinux15/vmlinuz
> pause have finded
> kernel /isolinux15/vmlinuz askmethod
> pause have kerneled
> find /isolinux15/initrd.img
> pause have finded
> initrd /isolinux15/initrd.img
> pause have initrded
> # ks=http://www.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu/~hennebry/anaconda-ks.cfg
>
> I couldn't use the kickstart file.
> I kept getting messages like this:
> Unable to read package metadata. This may be due to a
> missing repodata directory. Please ensure that your
> install tree has been correctly generated.
>
> Cannot retrieve repository metadata (repomd.xml) for
> repository: Fedora 15-i386. Please verify its path and
> try again.
>
> The kickstart file is attached.

Thanks for the blow by blow, good for future reference.

> The old /boot was /dev/sdb2 .
> The new one is /dev/sda2 .
> When asking where to put the bootloader,
> the choices were the mbr of /dev/sdb or the first sector
> of /dev/sdb2 . I chose the latter. I'm not sure why the other mbr
> was not an option.

I think it depends on the BIOS setting. Whichever disk is set as boot
disk in the BIOS gets the mbr (so you can boot from it). If you want
the other disk to get the mbr, it needs to be the boot disk. Hmmm,
that seems to be sort of a catch-22. You probably need to boot a
recovery disk and install the second disk before you can make it the
boot disk. Or install it with grub directly when you boot it as below.

> When I first tried what was supposed to be the initial reboot,
> my old /boot , now called /shoe , was used.

It must the default in the BIOS.

> I pushed reset, went into setup and reversed the hard drive boot
> order. The result was not quite the blue screen of death.
> It also had the word GRUB.

I can't give you the commands off the top of my head, but I think from
past reading of the grub manuals (pinfo grub), you could have fixed
everything right then using grub.

> I pushed reset again, went into setup and reversed the hard drive
> boot order. This time I went into the grub command line and
> chainloaded into (hd0,1). I am currently using the result.
>
> How do I make my machine boot with the new /boot ?

Here is the grub stanza I use to boot a version on another boot
partition, where the /boot is a separate partition. If your boot is
under /, you will need to prepend /boot to the configfile line.

title Fedora 15 sata 1 boot 2
root (hd1,1)
configfile /grub/menu.lst

If you use the above in your original grub, you will boot from the
original disk, and then choose this stanza, and it will give you
another menu for the boot partition on the second drive, and you can
choose your kernel there.

>
> At the moment, I do not have vim or gvim.

No vim? Are you sure the install was successful? I didn't think it
was possible to install Fedora without at least vim-minimal linked as
vi.

> Here is what happened when I tried to get them:
> [root@localhost ~]# yum install gvim
> rpmdb: __db_meta_setup: /var/lib/rpm/Name: unexpected file type or
> format error: cannot open Name index using db3 - Invalid argument (22)
> rpmdb: __db_meta_setup: /var/lib/rpm/Providename: unexpected file
> type or format error: cannot open Providename index using db3 -
> Invalid argument (22) Loaded plugins: langpacks, presto,
> refresh-packagekit Adding en_US to language list
> rpmdb: __db_meta_setup: /var/lib/rpm/Name: unexpected file type or
> format rpmdb: __db_meta_setup: /var/lib/rpm/Name: unexpected file
> type or format
> fedora/metalink | 24 kB
> 00:00 Could not parse metalink
> https://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/metalink?repo=fedora-$releasever&arch=i386
> error was No repomd file Error: Cannot retrieve repository metadata
> (repomd.xml) for repository: fedora. Please verify its path and try
> again
>
>
> How do I get gvim?

There is something wrong with your install.

You can try rebuilding your rpm database as root.
rpm --rebuilddb
This will take a while, depending on your package count.

Do you have internet access? You can go directly to the Fedora
website, go to one of the repositories, and download all the vim and
gvim RPMs directly. Then do a
yum -C install <list of RPMs here>
in the directory where they are located.

While you are there, get the F15 repository RPM,
fedora-release-15-3.noarch
and re-install it to try to fix your yum problem.
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
 
Old 03-25-2012, 11:04 PM
Michael Hennebry
 
Default booting from DVD image on hard drive partition

On Sun, 25 Mar 2012, stan wrote:


On Sat, 24 Mar 2012 21:28:43 -0500 (CDT)
Michael Hennebry <hennebry@web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu> wrote:



I couldn't use the kickstart file.
I kept getting messages like this:
Unable to read package metadata. This may be due to a
missing repodata directory. Please ensure that your
install tree has been correctly generated.

Cannot retrieve repository metadata (repomd.xml) for
repository: Fedora 15-i386. Please verify its path and
try again.

The kickstart file is attached.


Thanks for the blow by blow, good for future reference.


The old /boot was /dev/sdb2 .
The new one is /dev/sda2 .
When asking where to put the bootloader,
the choices were the mbr of /dev/sdb or the first sector
of /dev/sdb2 . I chose the latter. I'm not sure why the other mbr
was not an option.


I think it depends on the BIOS setting. Whichever disk is set as boot
disk in the BIOS gets the mbr (so you can boot from it). If you want
the other disk to get the mbr, it needs to be the boot disk. Hmmm,
that seems to be sort of a catch-22. You probably need to boot a
recovery disk and install the second disk before you can make it the
boot disk. Or install it with grub directly when you boot it as below.


When I first tried what was supposed to be the initial reboot,
my old /boot , now called /shoe , was used.


It must the default in the BIOS.


I pushed reset, went into setup and reversed the hard drive boot
order. The result was not quite the blue screen of death.
It also had the word GRUB.


I can't give you the commands off the top of my head, but I think from
past reading of the grub manuals (pinfo grub), you could have fixed
everything right then using grub.


The almost blue screen of death wasn't completely blue,
but it was completely death.
Once upon a time I could boot from sda.
sdb was an add-on.
I'd have thought that making sda number one again would let me boot from it.


I pushed reset again, went into setup and reversed the hard drive
boot order. This time I went into the grub command line and
chainloaded into (hd0,1). I am currently using the result.

How do I make my machine boot with the new /boot ?


Here is the grub stanza I use to boot a version on another boot
partition, where the /boot is a separate partition. If your boot is
under /, you will need to prepend /boot to the configfile line.

title Fedora 15 sata 1 boot 2
root (hd1,1)
configfile /grub/menu.lst

If you use the above in your original grub, you will boot from the
original disk, and then choose this stanza, and it will give you
another menu for the boot partition on the second drive, and you can
choose your kernel there.


I'd need (hd0,1) .
hd1 is the new disk.
It holds the old /boot for F14, /shoe for F15.
hd0 is the disk that came with my machine.
It holds /boot for F15.
It seems to me that I really should be able to boot from hd0 again.


At the moment, I do not have vim or gvim.


No vim? Are you sure the install was successful? I didn't think it
was possible to install Fedora without at least vim-minimal linked as
vi.


Here is what happened when I tried to get them:
[root@localhost ~]# yum install gvim
rpmdb: __db_meta_setup: /var/lib/rpm/Name: unexpected file type or
format error: cannot open Name index using db3 - Invalid argument (22)
rpmdb: __db_meta_setup: /var/lib/rpm/Providename: unexpected file
type or format error: cannot open Providename index using db3 -
Invalid argument (22) Loaded plugins: langpacks, presto,
refresh-packagekit Adding en_US to language list
rpmdb: __db_meta_setup: /var/lib/rpm/Name: unexpected file type or
format rpmdb: __db_meta_setup: /var/lib/rpm/Name: unexpected file
type or format
fedora/metalink | 24 kB
00:00 Could not parse metalink
https://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/metalink?repo=fedora-$releasever&arch=i386
error was No repomd file Error: Cannot retrieve repository metadata
(repomd.xml) for repository: fedora. Please verify its path and try
again


How do I get gvim?


There is something wrong with your install.


You can try rebuilding your rpm database as root.
rpm --rebuilddb
This will take a while, depending on your package count.


That did it. I can use yum now.
Of course that does not explain what happened in the first place.


Also, I clilcked on at least three desktop environments.
gnome is the only one that seems to be installed.

--
Michael hennebry@web.cs.ndsu.NoDak.edu
"On Monday, I'm gonna have to tell my kindergarten class,
whom I teach not to run with scissors,
that my fiance ran me through with a broadsword." -- Lily
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
 
Old 03-25-2012, 11:35 PM
stan
 
Default booting from DVD image on hard drive partition

On Sun, 25 Mar 2012 18:04:47 -0500 (CDT)
Michael Hennebry <hennebry@web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu> wrote:

> On Sun, 25 Mar 2012, stan wrote:

> > There is something wrong with your install.
> >
> > You can try rebuilding your rpm database as root.
> > rpm --rebuilddb
> > This will take a while, depending on your package count.
>
> That did it. I can use yum now.

Excellent, sounds like you are in business.

> Of course that does not explain what happened in the first place.

The database wasn't written properly because of hard drive or power
problems? Faulty power supply levels can do really flaky things to a
computer.

> Also, I clilcked on at least three desktop environments.
> gnome is the only one that seems to be installed.

It sounds like the install really had issues. You should be able to
groupinstall with yum now.
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
 
Old 03-28-2012, 08:05 PM
Michael Hennebry
 
Default booting from DVD image on hard drive partition

Well, I screwed up royally again.

On Sun, 25 Mar 2012, stan wrote:


On Sun, 25 Mar 2012 18:04:47 -0500 (CDT)
Michael Hennebry <hennebry@web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu> wrote:


On Sun, 25 Mar 2012, stan wrote:


> There is something wrong with your install.
>

> You can try rebuilding your rpm database as root.
> rpm --rebuilddb
> This will take a while, depending on your package count.

That did it. I can use yum now.


Excellent, sounds like you are in business.


Of course that does not explain what happened in the first place.


The database wasn't written properly because of hard drive or power
problems? Faulty power supply levels can do really flaky things to a
computer.


I really hope not.
That would mean that fixing it would require cracking the case.
The last time I did it, I zapped my video card.
Even if everything went perfectly this time, I wouldn't know that.

I didn't know enough to trust the install, so I tried again, twice.
The last time, I apparently told anaconda something bad about booting.
Now, if I boot from disk sda, all I get is the grub command line.
I can use the configfile to boot from that, but I would rather not.
I've tried to use super-grub to fix it, but to know avail.
Where is the magic spell to boot using sda2 as /boot ?
I've been RTFM, but I've not been able to find it.
super-grub didn't help.

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 63 28676024 14337981 c W95 FAT32 (LBA)
/dev/sda2 * 28676025 28871576 97776 83 Linux
/dev/sda3 28871577 45668888 8398656 83 Linux
/dev/sda4 45668889 78165359 16248235+ 5 Extended
/dev/sda5 45668952 49574888 1952968+ 82 Linux swap / Solaris
/dev/sda6 49574952 62856296 6640672+ 83 Linux
/dev/sda7 62856360 78165359 7654500 83 Linux

Here is /grub/grub.conf from /dev/sda2 :
# grub.conf generated by anaconda
#
# Note that you do not have to rerun grub after making changes to this file
# NOTICE: You have a /boot partition. This means that
# all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /boot/, eg.
# root (hd1,1)
# kernel /vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/sdb3
# initrd /initrd-[generic-]version.img
#boot=/dev/sdb2
default=0
timeout=0
splashimage=(hd1,1)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
hiddenmenu
title Fedora (2.6.35.6-45.fc14.i686)
root (hd1,1)
kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.35.6-45.fc14.i686 ro root=UUID=f38145b3-1424-4162-8c93-2640827ba4b5 rd_NO_LUKS rd_NO_LVM rd_NO_MD rd_NO_DM LANG=en_US.UTF-8 SYSFONT=latarcyrheb-sun16 KEYTABLE=us rhgb quiet
initrd /initramfs-2.6.35.6-45.fc14.i686.img

Note the 14's.
Despite trying to install F15, I seem to have gotten F14.
sda is the hard disk listed first in the BIOS.


Also, I clilcked on at least three desktop environments.
gnome is the only one that seems to be installed.


--
Michael hennebry@web.cs.ndsu.NoDak.edu
"On Monday, I'm gonna have to tell my kindergarten class,
whom I teach not to run with scissors,
that my fiance ran me through with a broadsword." -- Lily
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 09:40 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org