Old 04-05-2008, 05:00 AM
Ric Moore

Default yum - presto and primary.sqlite.bz2

Has anything come of trying to get the dnload of primary.sqlite.bz2
presto-able? That would save a ton of time when updating. It's a royal
pain at slow connect speeds to have to dnload that sucker everyday. IF
it could be presto'd, that would be heaven. Thanks, Ric

http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar

Old 04-05-2008, 05:09 AM
Jonathan Dieter

On Sat, 2008-04-05 at 01:00 -0400, Ric Moore wrote:
> Has anything come of trying to get the dnload of primary.sqlite.bz2
> presto-able? That would save a ton of time when updating. It's a royal
> pain at slow connect speeds to have to dnload that sucker everyday. IF
> it could be presto'd, that would be heaven. Thanks, Ric

Sorry, not yet. I'm also hesitant to implement it as (at least as I
understand it) yum may soon get that ability built-in.

Jonathan

Old 04-06-2008, 02:36 AM
Ric Moore

On Sat, 2008-04-05 at 08:09 +0300, Jonathan Dieter wrote:
> On Sat, 2008-04-05 at 01:00 -0400, Ric Moore wrote:
> > Has anything come of trying to get the dnload of primary.sqlite.bz2
> > presto-able? That would save a ton of time when updating. It's a royal
> > pain at slow connect speeds to have to dnload that sucker everyday. IF
> > it could be presto'd, that would be heaven. Thanks, Ric
>
> Sorry, not yet. I'm also hesitant to implement it as (at least as I
> understand it) yum may soon get that ability built-in.
>
> Jonathan
Here's another typical night wasted

* fedora: mirrors.usu.edu
* updates: mirrors.usu.edu
* gemi: math.ifi.unizh.ch
Setting up Presto
fedora 100% |=========================| 2.1 kB
00:07
updates 100% |=========================| 383 B
00:00
gemi 100% |=========================| 951 B
00:00
Reading Presto metadata in from local files
primary.sqlite.bz2 100% |=========================| 3.8 MB
22:23
http://mirrors.usu.edu/fedora/linux/releases/7/Everything/i386/os/repodata/primary.sqlite.bz2: [Errno -1] Metadata file does not match checksum
Trying other mirror.
primary.sqlite.bz2 100% |=========================| 2.8 MB
17:08
ftp://fedora.bu.edu/releases/7/Everything/i386/os/repodata/primary.sqlite.bz2: [Errno 4] Socket Error: timed out
Trying other mirror.
primary.sqlite.bz2 100% |=========================| 1.2 MB
07:46
http://ftp.usf.edu/pub/fedora/linux/releases/7/Everything/i386/os/repodata/primary.sqlite.bz2: [Errno -1] Metadata file does not match checksum
Trying other mirror.
primary.sqlite.bz2 20% |===== | 776 kB
16:27 ETA

A Friday night at 10 O'clock, at modem speeds, looking at this crap.
Sorry, but it really jerks me off. I don't recall having this much
trouble with FidoNet and my BBS, back in the Dark Ages running at 28.8,
grabbing email for a 100+ users.

If a mirror is syncing to the updates, would it not be possible for it
to announce that it is currently offline, in a manner that yum can "see"
and yum skip polling it?? This problem would be merely annoying, if you
had a T-1. It's GD annoying with a low-speed DSL or modem connect.

If you count the minutes before I cntl C'd the entire thing, one entire
hour of trying to get primary.sqlite.bz2 and still failing, not one dang
file installed or updated. If presto could handle this file transfer as
an update, which is just an updated version of the same file, I would
have wasted minutes, instead of more than an hour. Even if, I still see
no reason for a mirror to be "available", when it isn't ready to do
useful stuff. It's just not "The Right Thing(tm)" Am I not seeing this
correctly??

As another suggestion, why not halt the mirror update process at around
noon on Friday and just leave things be until Monday?? We be HaPpY with
much joy-load, while we update stuff and you guys take a much needed
break during the weekend.

With these mirrors out of sync, that I'm seeing at 10PM on Friday night,
is someone working late?? Worse case, is someone getting their giggles
knowing that everything down stream will go to $hit if just one more
update is pushed out to the mirrors at 6PM? If so, I hope that Rahul
will do the appropriate thing and put a foot in their a$$. I hate to be
the paranoid, but what gives??

Really freaking AnNoYeD, Ric
(for what it's worth, I edited out the original cuss words)

http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar

Old 04-06-2008, 08:57 AM
Anne Wilson

On Sunday 06 April 2008 03:36:13 Ric Moore wrote:
> With these mirrors out of sync, that I'm seeing at 10PM on Friday night,
> is someone working late??

Time zones? I guess that any time is bad time for someone. You could, of
course, do your updates on Saturday morning :-)

Anne

Old 04-06-2008, 10:07 AM
Ric Moore

On Sun, 2008-04-06 at 09:57 +0100, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Sunday 06 April 2008 03:36:13 Ric Moore wrote:
> > With these mirrors out of sync, that I'm seeing at 10PM on Friday night,
> > is someone working late??
>
> Time zones? I guess that any time is bad time for someone. You could, of
> course, do your updates on Saturday morning :-)
>
> Anne
Hey Anne! Welcome back! Ric

http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar

Old 04-06-2008, 12:43 PM
Craig White

On Sun, 2008-04-06 at 09:57 +0100, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Sunday 06 April 2008 03:36:13 Ric Moore wrote:
> > With these mirrors out of sync, that I'm seeing at 10PM on Friday night,
> > is someone working late??
>
> Time zones? I guess that any time is bad time for someone. You could, of
> course, do your updates on Saturday morning :-)
----
I believe that the operative phrase has always been...

It's 5 o'clock somewhere

Craig

Old 04-07-2008, 02:28 AM
Ric Moore

On Sun, 2008-04-06 at 05:43 -0700, Craig White wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-04-06 at 09:57 +0100, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > On Sunday 06 April 2008 03:36:13 Ric Moore wrote:
> > > With these mirrors out of sync, that I'm seeing at 10PM on Friday night,
> > > is someone working late??
> >
> > Time zones? I guess that any time is bad time for someone. You could, of
> > course, do your updates on Saturday morning :-)
> ----
> I believe that the operative phrase has always been...
>
> It's 5 o'clock somewhere

Finally got a decent link at 1AM. Sounds like the chatter on the
punchcard thread. Ric

http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar