Old 04-04-2008, 07:25 PM
Matthew Miller

Default What will happen? Linux software raid autodetecting on an old array...

Okay, so, here's the situation. Motherboard on my old computer (a Shuttle)
went out. Decided to get a new computer, because hey, it was four years old.

New computer came with two new SATA drives, which I've set up to to be
mirrored with software raid -- partitions /dev/md0 and /dev/md1.

All is good.

Now, had the exact same disk configuration in my old system. If plug in
those disks into the 3rd and 4th SATA ports, and boot, what will happen?

I hope the RAID autodetect system is smart enough to not get the old
/dev/md{0,1} mixed up with the new one and eat data. Right?

What Will Happen?

Thanks!

--
Matthew Miller mattdm@mattdm.org <http://mattdm.org/>
Boston University Linux ------> <http://linux.bu.edu/>

Old 04-06-2008, 05:12 AM
Matthew Miller

On Fri, Apr 04, 2008 at 11:54:55PM -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:
> I think it will pick one of each of the mdN devices and ignore the other.
> It won't eat data unless the mismatched disks have matching UUIDs which is
> unlikely unless you image-copied them or had synced with the other set in
> the past. If you want it to ignore the new set until you reconfigure it,
> fdisk the partition types to something other than FD so it won't autodetect
> at boot up.

Okay, thanks. Any suggestions on how to reconfigure it to use higher numbers
on the fly without losing data? I'd like the old md0/md1 to end up as
md2/md3.

Old 04-06-2008, 08:52 PM
Matthew Miller

On Fri, Apr 04, 2008 at 03:25:33PM -0400, Matthew Miller wrote:
> Now, had the exact same disk configuration in my old system. If plug in
> those disks into the 3rd and 4th SATA ports, and boot, what will happen?

Okay, so, what happens is: the old (newly added to this system on drives now
named sdc and sdd) partitions are ignored and can be made temporarily into
/dev/md2 (and /dev/md3 using)

sudo /sbin/mdadm --assemble /dev/md2 --uuid=(the proper uuid)

and the uuid can be found with

sudo /sbin/mdadm --examine --scan

(Thanks for your answers, Les!)