Old 04-04-2008, 05:44 PM
Jim

Default Firefox Emulating Explorer on Internet

Frank Cox wrote:

On Fri, 04 Apr 2008 12:21:48 -0400
Jim <mickeyboa@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

Isn't there a addon for Firefox that makes a website think it is
dealing with $MS Explorer ?

Thanks Guys for your fast responds
Jim

Old 04-04-2008, 06:57 PM
Bruno Wolff III

On Fri, Apr 04, 2008 at 12:21:48 -0400,
Jim <mickeyboa@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> Isn't there a addon for Firefox that makes a website think it is
> dealing with $MS Explorer ?

You can also set general.useragent.override (at about:config) to what ever
string you'd like. If it's empty the useragent header isn't sent.

Old 04-04-2008, 07:04 PM
"Patrick O'Callaghan"

Note that this *doesn't* mean that broken websites that are designed
only for IE will actually work correctly in FF.

poc

Old 04-04-2008, 08:54 PM
Frank Cox

On Fri, 04 Apr 2008 14:34:53 -0430
"Patrick O'Callaghan" <pocallaghan@gmail.com> wrote:

> Note that this *doesn't* mean that broken websites that are designed
> only for IE will actually work correctly in FF.

Indeed. For that, you will need this:

http://www.tatanka.com.br/ies4linux/page/Main_Page

Old 04-04-2008, 10:23 PM
Tom Horsley

On Fri, 04 Apr 2008 12:21:48 -0400
Jim <mickeyboa@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> Isn't there a addon for Firefox that makes a website think it is
> dealing with $MS Explorer ?

Better yet, is there an addon for firefox that acts like
internet explorer by ignoring what the web designer actually
said and doing what he must have meant instead (like internet
explorer does :-).

I get really tired of looking at web sites like the espn summary
of scores for footbal, baseball, etc with all the text field overlapping
one another because the web designers never look at it with
anything other than IE.

Old 04-04-2008, 10:26 PM
Tom Horsley

On Fri, 04 Apr 2008 14:54:38 -0600
Frank Cox <theatre@sasktel.net> wrote:

> Indeed. For that, you will need this:
>
> http://www.tatanka.com.br/ies4linux/page/Main_Page

I should give it a try - so far, I have never once gotten
any even slightly nontrivial application to work
correctly under wine, but maybe wine has improved
since I last tried...

Old 04-04-2008, 11:39 PM
"Patrick O'Callaghan"

On Fri, 2008-04-04 at 18:26 -0400, Tom Horsley wrote:
> On Fri, 04 Apr 2008 14:54:38 -0600
> Frank Cox <theatre@sasktel.net> wrote:
>
> > Indeed. For that, you will need this:
> >
> > http://www.tatanka.com.br/ies4linux/page/Main_Page
>
> I should give it a try - so far, I have never once gotten
> any even slightly nontrivial application to work
> correctly under wine, but maybe wine has improved
> since I last tried...

I can vouch for ies4linux. It works well at least for the occasional
brain-damaged banking site.

poc

Old 04-04-2008, 11:58 PM
Antonio Olivares

--- Patrick O'Callaghan <pocallaghan@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 2008-04-04 at 18:26 -0400, Tom Horsley
> wrote:
> > On Fri, 04 Apr 2008 14:54:38 -0600
> > Frank Cox <theatre@sasktel.net> wrote:
> >
> > > Indeed. For that, you will need this:
> > >

> http://www.tatanka.com.br/ies4linux/page/Main_Page
> >
> > I should give it a try - so far, I have never once
> gotten
> > any even slightly nontrivial application to work
> > correctly under wine, but maybe wine has improved
> > since I last tried...
>
> I can vouch for ies4linux. It works well at least
> for the occasional
> brain-damaged banking site.
>
> poc

User Agent Switcher is an add on for firefox/seamonkey
that fakes IE. Click on addons and search for it.

Regards,

Antonio

Old 04-05-2008, 12:12 AM
Tom Horsley

> > Indeed. For that, you will need this:
> >
> > http://www.tatanka.com.br/ies4linux/page/Main_Page
>
> I should give it a try - so far, I have never once gotten
> any even slightly nontrivial application to work
> correctly under wine, but maybe wine has improved
> since I last tried...

Well, I've tried it, and it may be a little better than I
remember, but not much :-). I told it to install flash,
but flash content doesn't seem to work anyway. If I
scroll the page up and down, all the images that went on and
off the screen during the scrolling wind up looking like they
have been run through a shredder. And when I exited, it
was apparently still running, so I had to kill -9 it, then
wineserver went to 100% and I had to kill -9 it as well.
I don't think I'll be doing a lot of IE browsing :-).

Old 04-05-2008, 12:59 AM
Tim

On Fri, 2008-04-04 at 18:23 -0400, Tom Horsley wrote:
> I get really tired of looking at web sites like the espn summary
> of scores for footbal, baseball, etc with all the text field
> overlapping one another because the web designers never look at it
> with anything other than IE.

You can use one of the plug-ins that allows you to easily turn of text
styling, without having to wade through a menu.

e.g. Install the "Read Easily" extension, customise the navigational
gadget bar, and drag the icon for it somewhere onto the bar.

Now it's one-click away to get rid of overlapping text, yellow writing
on white backgrounds, and many other web authoring stupidities.

important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.