FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 11-19-2007, 04:15 PM
Claude Jones
 
Default evince? = train wreck

On Monday November 19 2007 11:30:30 am Gene Heskett wrote:
> Greetings;
>
> I have NDI how it came to be FF-2.0.0.9's fav pdf renderer, it
> didn't show in an about:config, nor did it show up in the kde
> file associations, all of which were set to use acroread for
> viewing a pdf.

FirefoxEditPreferencesContent tabFile Types button
That should let you change what you're seeking

KDE prefs have nothing to do with it because Firefox is not a KDE
app

As to your other issues, can't help
--
Claude Jones
Brunswick, MD, USA

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 11-19-2007, 04:43 PM
"Paul Johnson"
 
Default evince? = train wreck

On Nov 19, 2007 10:30 AM, Gene Heskett <gene.heskett@verizon.net> wrote:
> Greetings;
>
> I have NDI how it came to be FF-2.0.0.9's fav pdf renderer, it didn't show in
> an about:config, nor did it show up in the kde file associations, all of
> which were set to use acroread for viewing a pdf.
>
> But somehow, firefox seemed to think it had to use evince, which worked fairly
> well & fast, but just one HUGE problem. All the characters were rendered in
> the correct left to right order, but they were mirrored right to left! Veddy
> difficult to read needless to say.
>
> --
> Cheers, Gene
> =

I've had the same experience. Here's the magic bullet.

While reading the fedora list a while ago, Aaron Konstam posted a great tip.


"But to do what you want got to: about:config
Change:
browser.download.hide_plugins_without_extensions to false

The in: Edit->Preferences->Content->Manage you can make firefox any
program you want to open pdf files."


--
Paul E. Johnson
Professor, Political Science
1541 Lilac Lane, Room 504
University of Kansas

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 11-19-2007, 08:03 PM
Gene Heskett
 
Default evince? = train wreck

On Monday 19 November 2007, Claude Jones wrote:
>On Monday November 19 2007 11:30:30 am Gene Heskett wrote:
>> Greetings;
>>
>> I have NDI how it came to be FF-2.0.0.9's fav pdf renderer, it
>> didn't show in an about:config, nor did it show up in the kde
>> file associations, all of which were set to use acroread for
>> viewing a pdf.
>
>FirefoxEditPreferencesContent tabFile Types button
>That should let you change what you're seeking
>
That appears now to have been fixed when FF couldn't find evince and I had to
trail it back through the filesystem to find acroread, its now in there as
expected.

Thanks Claud.

>KDE prefs have nothing to do with it because Firefox is not a KDE
>app
>
>As to your other issues, can't help

So evince is busted, what else is new...

>--
>Claude Jones
>Brunswick, MD, USA



--
Cheers, Gene
"There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order."
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
It's faster horses,
Younger women,
Older whiskey and
More money.
-- Tom T. Hall, "The Secret of Life"

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 11-19-2007, 08:04 PM
Gene Heskett
 
Default evince? = train wreck

On Monday 19 November 2007, Paul Johnson wrote:
>On Nov 19, 2007 10:30 AM, Gene Heskett <gene.heskett@verizon.net> wrote:
>> Greetings;
>>
>> I have NDI how it came to be FF-2.0.0.9's fav pdf renderer, it didn't show
>> in an about:config, nor did it show up in the kde file associations, all
>> of which were set to use acroread for viewing a pdf.
>>
>> But somehow, firefox seemed to think it had to use evince, which worked
>> fairly well & fast, but just one HUGE problem. All the characters were
>> rendered in the correct left to right order, but they were mirrored right
>> to left! Veddy difficult to read needless to say.
>>
>> --
>> Cheers, Gene
>> =
>
>I've had the same experience. Here's the magic bullet.
>
>While reading the fedora list a while ago, Aaron Konstam posted a great tip.
>
>
>"But to do what you want got to: about:config
>Change:
>browser.download.hide_plugins_without_extension s to false
>
>The in: Edit->Preferences->Content->Manage you can make firefox any
>program you want to open pdf files."
>
>
Got it thanks to a previous message from Claude, thanks Paul.

>--
>Paul E. Johnson
>Professor, Political Science
>1541 Lilac Lane, Room 504
>University of Kansas



--
Cheers, Gene
"There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order."
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
It's faster horses,
Younger women,
Older whiskey and
More money.
-- Tom T. Hall, "The Secret of Life"

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 11-19-2007, 08:17 PM
David Boles
 
Default evince? = train wreck

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

Gene Heskett wrote:

> Got it thanks to a previous message from Claude, thanks Paul.

Everything you would ever care to know: about:cinfig

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Firefox_:_FAQs_:_about:config_Entries

- --


David
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.7 (MingW32)

iD8DBQFHQf2CAO0wNI1X4QERAgqzAKDm/4iVYAwaqWS5RXhE091AovgFMwCg45er
kErHS82/n5+ErR5jDdTWpns=
=TAYH
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 11-19-2007, 08:37 PM
Aaron Konstam
 
Default evince? = train wreck

On Mon, 2007-11-19 at 12:15 -0500, Claude Jones wrote:
> On Monday November 19 2007 11:30:30 am Gene Heskett wrote:
> > Greetings;
> >
> > I have NDI how it came to be FF-2.0.0.9's fav pdf renderer, it
> > didn't show in an about:config, nor did it show up in the kde
> > file associations, all of which were set to use acroread for
> > viewing a pdf.
>
> FirefoxEditPreferencesContent tabFile Types button
> That should let you change what you're seeking
Unless the default configuration variables have changed value you can't
do the above without changing:
browser.download.hide_plugins_without_extensions from true to false.
>
> KDE prefs have nothing to do with it because Firefox is not a KDE
> app
>
> As to your other issues, can't help
> --
> Claude Jones
> Brunswick, MD, USA
>
--
================================================== =====================
There is always someone worse off than yourself.
================================================== =====================
Aaron Konstam telephone: (210) 656-0355 e-mail: akonstam@sbcglobal.net

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 11-19-2007, 08:40 PM
Gene Heskett
 
Default evince? = train wreck

On Monday 19 November 2007, David Boles wrote:
>Gene Heskett wrote:
>> Got it thanks to a previous message from Claude, thanks Paul.
>
>Everything you would ever care to know: about:cinfig
>
>http://kb.mozillazine.org/Firefox_:_FAQs_:_about:config_Entries
>
Bookmarked, thank you!

>--
>
>
> David



--
Cheers, Gene
"There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order."
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
Where's the man could ease a heart
Like a satin gown?
-- Dorothy Parker, "The Satin Dress"

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 09:57 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org