-   -   evince? = train wreck (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/641-evince-train-wreck.html)

Claude Jones 11-19-2007 04:15 PM

evince? = train wreck

On Monday November 19 2007 11:30:30 am Gene Heskett wrote:
> Greetings;
>
> I have NDI how it came to be FF-2.0.0.9's fav pdf renderer, it
> didn't show in an about:config, nor did it show up in the kde
> file associations, all of which were set to use acroread for
> viewing a pdf.

FirefoxEditPreferencesContent tabFile Types button
That should let you change what you're seeking

KDE prefs have nothing to do with it because Firefox is not a KDE
app

As to your other issues, can't help
--
Claude Jones
Brunswick, MD, USA

"Paul Johnson" 11-19-2007 04:43 PM

evince? = train wreck

On Nov 19, 2007 10:30 AM, Gene Heskett <gene.heskett@verizon.net> wrote:
> Greetings;
>
> I have NDI how it came to be FF-2.0.0.9's fav pdf renderer, it didn't show in
> an about:config, nor did it show up in the kde file associations, all of
> which were set to use acroread for viewing a pdf.
>
> But somehow, firefox seemed to think it had to use evince, which worked fairly
> well & fast, but just one HUGE problem. All the characters were rendered in
> the correct left to right order, but they were mirrored right to left! Veddy
> difficult to read needless to say.
>
> --
> Cheers, Gene
> =

I've had the same experience. Here's the magic bullet.

While reading the fedora list a while ago, Aaron Konstam posted a great tip.

"But to do what you want got to: about:config
Change:
browser.download.hide_plugins_without_extensions to false

The in: Edit->Preferences->Content->Manage you can make firefox any
program you want to open pdf files."

--
Paul E. Johnson
Professor, Political Science

Gene Heskett 11-19-2007 08:03 PM

evince? = train wreck

On Monday 19 November 2007, Claude Jones wrote:
>On Monday November 19 2007 11:30:30 am Gene Heskett wrote:
>> Greetings;
>>
>> I have NDI how it came to be FF-2.0.0.9's fav pdf renderer, it
>> didn't show in an about:config, nor did it show up in the kde
>> file associations, all of which were set to use acroread for
>> viewing a pdf.
>
>FirefoxEditPreferencesContent tabFile Types button
>That should let you change what you're seeking

That appears now to have been fixed when FF couldn't find evince and I had to
trail it back through the filesystem to find acroread, its now in there as
expected.

Thanks Claud.

>KDE prefs have nothing to do with it because Firefox is not a KDE
>app
>
>As to your other issues, can't help

So evince is busted, what else is new... :)

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Gene Heskett 11-19-2007 08:04 PM

evince? = train wreck

On Monday 19 November 2007, Paul Johnson wrote:
>On Nov 19, 2007 10:30 AM, Gene Heskett <gene.heskett@verizon.net> wrote:
>> Greetings;
>>
>> I have NDI how it came to be FF-2.0.0.9's fav pdf renderer, it didn't show
>> in an about:config, nor did it show up in the kde file associations, all
>> of which were set to use acroread for viewing a pdf.
>>
>> But somehow, firefox seemed to think it had to use evince, which worked
>> fairly well & fast, but just one HUGE problem. All the characters were
>> rendered in the correct left to right order, but they were mirrored right
>> to left! Veddy difficult to read needless to say.
>>
>> --
>> Cheers, Gene
>> =
>
>I've had the same experience. Here's the magic bullet.
>
>While reading the fedora list a while ago, Aaron Konstam posted a great tip.
>

>"But to do what you want got to: about:config
>Change:
>browser.download.hide_plugins_without_extension s to false
>
>The in: Edit->Preferences->Content->Manage you can make firefox any
>program you want to open pdf files."

Got it thanks to a previous message from Claude, thanks Paul.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

David Boles 11-19-2007 08:17 PM

evince? = train wreck

Aaron Konstam 11-19-2007 08:37 PM

evince? = train wreck

On Mon, 2007-11-19 at 12:15 -0500, Claude Jones wrote:
> On Monday November 19 2007 11:30:30 am Gene Heskett wrote:
> > Greetings;
> >
> > I have NDI how it came to be FF-2.0.0.9's fav pdf renderer, it
> > didn't show in an about:config, nor did it show up in the kde
> > file associations, all of which were set to use acroread for
> > viewing a pdf.
>
> FirefoxEditPreferencesContent tabFile Types button
> That should let you change what you're seeking
Unless the default configuration variables have changed value you can't
do the above without changing:
browser.download.hide_plugins_without_extensions from true to false.

Gene Heskett 11-19-2007 08:40 PM

evince? = train wreck

On Monday 19 November 2007, David Boles wrote:
>Gene Heskett wrote:
>> Got it thanks to a previous message from Claude, thanks Paul.
>
>Everything you would ever care to know: about:cinfig
>
>http://kb.mozillazine.org/Firefox_:_FAQs_:_about:config_Entries

Bookmarked, thank you!

--
Cheers, Gene