Old 04-04-2008, 10:59 PM
Brian Mury

Default Sound on Fedora-8: what a mess!

On Fri, 2008-04-04 at 15:46 -0700, Konstantin Svist wrote:
> Rodolfo Alcazar Portillo wrote:
> > Am Freitag, den 04.04.2008, 11:14 -0700 schrieb Brian Mury:
> >
> >> It is more common than you think. I have three sound cards in this
> >> computer.
> >>

> > Two soundcards at home. No problems.
> >

> What do you guys use extra sound cards for?
> Just curious..

One is hooked up to speakers for music, movies, etc.

One is dedicated to VOIP.

One is connected to a ham radio and is used as a modem. Audio is fed to
the radio's microphone input and from the radio's speaker output. This
lets me do various digital modes such as radio teletype.

Old 04-04-2008, 11:24 PM
Timothy Murphy

Rodolfo Alcazar Portillo wrote:

>> > What exactly is the relation between pulseaudio and amarok?

>> In a nutshell: Amarok is an application for playing music. PulseAudio is
>> a layer that sits between the application and the hardware.
>
> Right, and thats not all: I dont know amarok, I use xmms. Xmms has a
> plugin which allows him to use the pulseaudio layer. Do you know whether
> amarok needs a plugin, or that capability is native?

I've no idea.
Just to recall: amarok played my CD perfectly
_after_ I killed pulseaudio.

> Again, fix pulseaudio first. Try (not as root)
>
> pulseaudio -k
> pulseaudio -D

Well, as I said I have killed pulseaudio.
But I'll start it again, and try these commands.

I'm not sure what pulseaudio offers me, though.
At present it has negative value in my case,
since its only effect, as far as I can see, is to prevent amarok working.

Old 04-05-2008, 12:45 AM
Tim

On Fri, 2008-04-04 at 15:46 -0700, Konstantin Svist wrote:
> What do you guys use extra sound cards for?
> Just curious..

Sometimes you have more than one, even if you only intend to use one.

e.g. The on-board sound is awful, so you put in a card. Unfortunately,
you find you're unable to disable the on-board sound card, so you do
your best to just ignore it. But some things will try to use the wrong
sound card. Which is made even worse if you have an internal software
modem, as that's another *sound* device. And then there's cards which
emulate another card, though you can't use both modes at the same time,
but appears as two sound cards.

It's amazing how badly multi-media still sucks on the PC architecture,
even after twenty odd years of it.

important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.

Old 04-05-2008, 12:46 AM
Tim

On Fri, 2008-04-04 at 15:54 -0700, Brian Mury wrote:
> * Network transparency, allowing an application to play back or
> record audio on a different machine than the one it is running
> on.

This is something that's intrigued me. I've seen the network audio
daemon on one of my systems, but haven't found anything that explains
how I can make use of it.

Old 04-05-2008, 02:44 PM
Timothy Murphy

Brian Mury wrote:

>> What exactly is the relation between pulseaudio and amarok?
>
> In a nutshell: Amarok is an application for playing music. PulseAudio is
> a layer that sits between the application and the hardware.

I've checked again on my laptop;
amarok will not run if pulseaudio is running.
It comes up with the error message,
"Audio output unavailable; the device is busy".
There is a reference to xine , but this is not explicit.

I take it "the device" is /dev/snd .
If so, it would improve matters slightly
if this was explicitly stated.

As soon as I kill pulseaudio, amarok works.

(Incidentally, KsCD works without killing pulseaudio.)

Are amarok and pulseaudio actually incompatible?
Does anyone have both running at the same time?

Or maybe there is some xine setting that I should adjust?

Old 04-05-2008, 02:48 PM
Timothy Murphy

Rodolfo Alcazar Portillo wrote:

> Again, fix pulseaudio first. Try (not as root)
>
> pulseaudio -k
> pulseaudio -D

I'm not able to start pulseaudio as a user:
--------------------------------
[tim@elizabeth ~]$ pulseaudio -D
W: polkit.c: Failed to show grant dialog: Unable to lookup exe for caller
W: polkit.c: PolicyKit responded with 'auth_admin_keep_always'
N: main.c: Called SUID root and real-time/high-priority scheduling was
requested in the configuration. However, we lack the necessary priviliges:
N: main.c: We are not in group 'pulse-rt' and PolicyKit refuse to grant us
priviliges. Dropping SUID again.
N: main.c: For enabling real-time scheduling please acquire the appropriate
PolicyKit priviliges, or become a member of 'pulse-rt', or increase the
RLIMIT_NICE/RLIMIT_RTPRIO resource limits for this user.

Old 04-08-2008, 01:00 PM
Danny Yee

The simple fact is that sound worked fine in Fedora 7 and is broken in
Fedora 8, at least for me and a good number of others. Pulseaudio is
clearly not ready for general use and should never have been included.

I just wasted another hour or so trying to get sound to work on my
system -- it worked fine yesterday, but doesn't today, for no obvious
reason -- and now I've tried removing pulseaudio. vlc and kaffeine
are still looking for pulseaudio, however, and I don't know how to
fix that. Maybe I have to log out or reboot, sigh.

Danny.