Old 04-04-2008, 01:00 PM
Timothy Murphy

Default NetworkManager: a tale of two laptops

I have two laptops, elizabeth and mary,
with identical PCMCIA WiFi cards, Orinoco Gold (firmware 6.04).

I have two APs, with ESSIDs (say) wrt and agere.

NM (NetworkManager) works fine on mary,
linking always to wrt on eth1.

NM never works on elizabeth,
trying for some reason to link to agere on eth1.

"service network" links elizabeth to agere on eth2.

So WiFi works perfectly on both machines,
but NM works only on one.

I have compared all the files I can think of,
and see no difference between the laptops.

I do not know where NM keeps the information it uses
on networks.
I would like to tell it to try to link to wrt on elizabeth,
but as I say do not know where it keeps this preference.

The documentation on NM, such as there is,
says that "NM just works",
but unfortunately does not give any hint of what to do
if NM "just doesn't work".

Old 04-04-2008, 01:16 PM
Da Rock

On Fri, 2008-04-04 at 14:00 +0100, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> I have two laptops, elizabeth and mary,
> with identical PCMCIA WiFi cards, Orinoco Gold (firmware 6.04).
>
> I have two APs, with ESSIDs (say) wrt and agere.
>
> NM (NetworkManager) works fine on mary,
> linking always to wrt on eth1.
>
> NM never works on elizabeth,
> trying for some reason to link to agere on eth1.
>
> "service network" links elizabeth to agere on eth2.
>
> So WiFi works perfectly on both machines,
> but NM works only on one.
>
> I have compared all the files I can think of,
> and see no difference between the laptops.
>
> I do not know where NM keeps the information it uses
> on networks.
> I would like to tell it to try to link to wrt on elizabeth,
> but as I say do not know where it keeps this preference.
>
> The documentation on NM, such as there is,
> says that "NM just works",
> but unfortunately does not give any hint of what to do
> if NM "just doesn't work".

Indeed- welcome to a world of pain!

Try looking in /etc/sysconfig/networking and networking-scripts. It
really does seem to have a mind of its own though. A lot of it is not
just NM, its the network scripts in general.

So are you only looking at linking to the wrt? Or you want to link to
both?

Old 04-04-2008, 07:40 PM
"John W. Linville"

On Fri, Apr 04, 2008 at 11:16:00PM +1000, Da Rock wrote:

> Try looking in /etc/sysconfig/networking and networking-scripts. It
> really does seem to have a mind of its own though. A lot of it is not
> just NM, its the network scripts in general.

These have almost effectively nothing to do with NM.

--
John W. Linville
linville@redhat.com

Old 04-04-2008, 07:41 PM
"John W. Linville"

On Fri, Apr 04, 2008 at 02:00:44PM +0100, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> I have two laptops, elizabeth and mary,
> with identical PCMCIA WiFi cards, Orinoco Gold (firmware 6.04).
>
> I have two APs, with ESSIDs (say) wrt and agere.
>
> NM (NetworkManager) works fine on mary,
> linking always to wrt on eth1.
>
> NM never works on elizabeth,
> trying for some reason to link to agere on eth1.
>
> "service network" links elizabeth to agere on eth2.

Did you mean to say eth2 here? Or still on eth1?

> So WiFi works perfectly on both machines,
> but NM works only on one.
>
> I have compared all the files I can think of,
> and see no difference between the laptops.
>
> I do not know where NM keeps the information it uses
> on networks.
> I would like to tell it to try to link to wrt on elizabeth,
> but as I say do not know where it keeps this preference.
>
> The documentation on NM, such as there is,
> says that "NM just works",
> but unfortunately does not give any hint of what to do
> if NM "just doesn't work".

I really don't understand the question. Why don't you just login on
elizabeth, click on the NM applet icon, and select wrt?

John
--
John W. Linville
linville@redhat.com

Old 04-04-2008, 09:06 PM
Timothy Murphy

John W. Linville wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 04, 2008 at 02:00:44PM +0100, Timothy Murphy wrote:
>> I have two laptops, elizabeth and mary,
>> with identical PCMCIA WiFi cards, Orinoco Gold (firmware 6.04).
>>
>> I have two APs, with ESSIDs (say) wrt and agere.
>>
>> NM (NetworkManager) works fine on mary,
>> linking always to wrt on eth1.
>>
>> NM never works on elizabeth,
>> trying for some reason to link to agere on eth1.
>>
>> "service network" links elizabeth to agere on eth2.
>
> Did you mean to say eth2 here? Or still on eth1?
>
>> So WiFi works perfectly on both machines,
>> but NM works only on one.
>>
>> I have compared all the files I can think of,
>> and see no difference between the laptops.
>>
>> I do not know where NM keeps the information it uses
>> on networks.
>> I would like to tell it to try to link to wrt on elizabeth,
>> but as I say do not know where it keeps this preference.

> I really don't understand the question. Why don't you just login on
> elizabeth, click on the NM applet icon, and select wrt?

I'm on elizabeth now.

1. I am not offered wrt when I click on the NM applet.
If I choose "Connect to Other Wireless Network"
and enter "Network Name: wrt",
"Wireless Security: WEP 40/128-bit Hexadecimal",
and then give the 10 hexadecimal digit key,
the "windmill" rotates for some time,
and then ...
I'll continue the story later, as I shall have to break the connection
(established with "service network restart").

Old 04-04-2008, 09:15 PM
"John W. Linville"

On Fri, Apr 04, 2008 at 10:06:18PM +0100, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> John W. Linville wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Apr 04, 2008 at 02:00:44PM +0100, Timothy Murphy wrote:

> >> I do not know where NM keeps the information it uses
> >> on networks.
> >> I would like to tell it to try to link to wrt on elizabeth,
> >> but as I say do not know where it keeps this preference.
>
> > I really don't understand the question. Why don't you just login on
> > elizabeth, click on the NM applet icon, and select wrt?
>
> I'm on elizabeth now.
>
> 1. I am not offered wrt when I click on the NM applet.
> If I choose "Connect to Other Wireless Network"
> and enter "Network Name: wrt",
> "Wireless Security: WEP 40/128-bit Hexadecimal",
> and then give the 10 hexadecimal digit key,
> the "windmill" rotates for some time,
> and then ...
> I'll continue the story later, as I shall have to break the connection
> (established with "service network restart").

Odd...is the network not broadcasting its SSID? Does it show-up in
'iwlist eth1 scan'?

--
John W. Linville
linville@redhat.com

Old 04-04-2008, 09:15 PM
Aaron Konstam

On Fri, 2008-04-04 at 14:00 +0100, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> I have two laptops, elizabeth and mary,
> with identical PCMCIA WiFi cards, Orinoco Gold (firmware 6.04).
>
> I have two APs, with ESSIDs (say) wrt and agere.
>
> NM (NetworkManager) works fine on mary,
> linking always to wrt on eth1.
>
> NM never works on elizabeth,
> trying for some reason to link to agere on eth1.
>
> "service network" links elizabeth to agere on eth2.
>
> So WiFi works perfectly on both machines,
> but NM works only on one.
>
> I have compared all the files I can think of,
> and see no difference between the laptops.
>
> I do not know where NM keeps the information it uses
> on networks.
> I would like to tell it to try to link to wrt on elizabeth,
> but as I say do not know where it keeps this preference.
>
> The documentation on NM, such as there is,
> says that "NM just works",
> but unfortunately does not give any hint of what to do
> if NM "just doesn't work".
You might look here:

http://live.gnome.org/DarrenAlbers/NetworkManagerFAQ

Old 04-04-2008, 09:29 PM
Timothy Murphy

Aaron Konstam wrote:

>> I have two laptops, elizabeth and mary,
>> with identical PCMCIA WiFi cards, Orinoco Gold (firmware 6.04).
>>
>> I have two APs, with ESSIDs (say) wrt and agere.
>>
>> NM (NetworkManager) works fine on mary,
>> linking always to wrt on eth1.
>>
>> NM never works on elizabeth,
>> trying for some reason to link to agere on eth1.
>>
>> "service network" links elizabeth to agere on eth2.
>>
>> So WiFi works perfectly on both machines,
>> but NM works only on one.

> You might look here:
>
> http://live.gnome.org/DarrenAlbers/NetworkManagerFAQ

Thanks for the pointer.
I've looked through that, and don't see anything immediately helpful,
except perhaps the mention of VPN.
I said there was no difference between the laptops,
but I see now that I am running OpenVPN on elizabeth -
the laptop on which NM does not work -
while I'm not running it on mary, where NM works.

I'll try disabling OpenVPN, and see if that helps.

One other small point.
This FAQ says "If NetworkManager isn't connecting to the network you want,
try to force it to connect to the network you wish to be connected,
and NetworkManager will remember that setting next time."
Actually, that is not the case on my laptop, elizabeth.
I have entered the information for wrt many times,
but I am never offered that AP.

Old 04-05-2008, 01:30 PM
Chris Jones

One other small point.
This FAQ says "If NetworkManager isn't connecting to the network you want,
try to force it to connect to the network you wish to be connected,
and NetworkManager will remember that setting next time."

Actually, that is not the case on my laptop, elizabeth.
I have entered the information for wrt many times,
but I am never offered that AP.

That is because you haven't successfully connected to wrt yet on
elizabeth. NM will only remember successful connects AFAIK.

cheers Chris

Old 04-05-2008, 01:54 PM
Timothy Murphy

Chris Jones wrote:

>> One other small point.
>> This FAQ says "If NetworkManager isn't connecting to the network you
>> want, try to force it to connect to the network you wish to be connected,
>> and NetworkManager will remember that setting next time."
>> Actually, that is not the case on my laptop, elizabeth.
>> I have entered the information for wrt many times,
>> but I am never offered that AP.
>
> That is because you haven't successfully connected to wrt yet on
> elizabeth. NM will only remember successful connects AFAIK.

1. Actually, I have never successfully connected this laptop
to either of my APs with NM,
so I'm not sure where it gets the info about the "agere" AP from.
(I have connected to "agere" with the network service.)

2. Maybe I misunderstood the remark I cited above.
I assumed that this meant NM would remember the data one gave
even if the connection was unsuccessful.
But I see now it was probably written carelessly.
I did "try" to connect, but unsuccessfully.