Old 04-05-2008, 02:07 PM
Timothy Murphy

Default NetworkManager: a tale of two laptops

Aaron Konstam wrote:

>> > You might look here:
>> >
>> > http://live.gnome.org/DarrenAlbers/NetworkManagerFAQ
>>
>> Thanks for the pointer.
>> I've looked through that, and don't see anything immediately helpful,
>> except perhaps the mention of VPN.
>> I said there was no difference between the laptops,
>> but I see now that I am running OpenVPN on elizabeth -
>> the laptop on which NM does not work -
>> while I'm not running it on mary, where NM works.
>>
>> I'll try disabling OpenVPN, and see if that helps.

> Well you found there was a difference between the two machines so that is
> a step
> in the right direction.

Not really.
I stopped openvpn, and it did not have any effect;
NM still failed to connect.

> This remembering of the last AP connected to works on my laptop. It even
> remembers this for different network environments.

Yes, that is the case on my other laptops.
When NM works, it is quite good.
When it doesn't work, it provides no useful information
and I find it impossible to work out why it has failed.

There is no record from the AP that any attempt was made to connect to it.

I looked briefly at the source code,
but decided life was too short to disentangle this spaghetti.

Old 04-05-2008, 02:20 PM
Aaron Konstam

Old 04-05-2008, 02:20 PM
Aaron Konstam

Old 04-05-2008, 02:23 PM
Chris Jones

1. Actually, I have never successfully connected this laptop
to either of my APs with NM,
so I'm not sure where it gets the info about the "agere" AP from.

(I have connected to "agere" with the network service.)

I thought you said in your first post NM was working on one machine but
not the other ?? Now you seem to be saying you aren't using NM at all...

Old 04-05-2008, 02:25 PM
Chris Jones

Chris Jones wrote:

1. Actually, I have never successfully connected this laptop
to either of my APs with NM, so I'm not sure where it gets the info
about the "agere" AP from.

(I have connected to "agere" with the network service.)

I thought you said in your first post NM was working on one machine but
not the other ?? Now you seem to be saying you aren't using NM at all...

Sorry. Forget my last post. I mis-read your comments...

Chris

Old 04-05-2008, 02:34 PM
Timothy Murphy

John W. Linville wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 04, 2008 at 02:00:44PM +0100, Timothy Murphy wrote:
>> I have two laptops, elizabeth and mary,
>> with identical PCMCIA WiFi cards, Orinoco Gold (firmware 6.04).
>>
>> I have two APs, with ESSIDs (say) wrt and agere.
>>
>> NM (NetworkManager) works fine on mary,
>> linking always to wrt on eth1.
>>
>> NM never works on elizabeth,
>> trying for some reason to link to agere on eth1.
>>
>> "service network" links elizabeth to agere on eth2.

> Did you mean to say eth2 here? Or still on eth1?

I meant eth2.
The entries in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth[12]
point to the two APs.

>> So WiFi works perfectly on both machines,
>> but NM works only on one.
>>
>> I have compared all the files I can think of,
>> and see no difference between the laptops.
>>
>> I do not know where NM keeps the information it uses
>> on networks.
>> I would like to tell it to try to link to wrt on elizabeth,
>> but as I say do not know where it keeps this preference.
>>
>> The documentation on NM, such as there is,
>> says that "NM just works",
>> but unfortunately does not give any hint of what to do
>> if NM "just doesn't work".

> I really don't understand the question. Why don't you just login on
> elizabeth, click on the NM applet icon, and select wrt?

1. After re-booting, a window comes up with:
"Enter password for default keyring to unlock"
I enter this.

2. 10 seconds later, another window appears:
"Secrets required for wireless network.
Passwords or encryption keys are required
to access the wireless network 'agere'".
I enter the 10-hexdigit key,
choose the default option "Open System",
and press "Connect".

When I hover over the nm applet I am told
"Attempting to join the wireless network 'agere'".
After 15 seconds I am told the connection has been disconnected.

I've checked on the AP, and there is no record there
of any attempt to connect.

3. I try this again, with the same outcome.

4. Now I try going to "Connect to Other Wireless Network",
giving the ESSID "wrt" and the appropriate key.
Again, there is no connection.

5. So I give up and connect with
------------------------------------
[tim@elizabeth ~]$ sudo service network restart
Shutting down interface eth1: [ OK ]
Shutting down loopback interface: [ OK ]
Bringing up loopback interface: [ OK ]
Bringing up interface eth1:
Determining IP information for eth1... failed; no link present. Check
cable?
[FAILED]
Bringing up interface eth2:
Determining IP information for eth2... done.
[tim@elizabeth ~]$ sudo iwlist scan
lo Interface doesn't support scanning.

eth0 Interface doesn't support scanning.

eth2 Scan completed :
Cell 01 - Address: 02:02:2D:4A:52:80
ESSID:"agere"
Mode:Ad-Hoc
Frequency:2.457 GHz (Channel 10)
Signal level:-60 dBm Noise level:-96 dBm
Encryption keyn
Extra: Last beacon: 211ms ago

irda0 Interface doesn't support scanning.

sit0 Interface doesn't support scanning.

tun0 Interface doesn't support scanning.
------------------------------------

This is the scan on the other - almost identical - laptop:
------------------------------------
[tim@mary ~]$ sudo iwlist scan
lo Interface doesn't support scanning.

eth0 Interface doesn't support scanning.

irda0 Interface doesn't support scanning.

eth1 Scan completed :
Cell 01 - Address: 00:16:B6A:56:B4
ESSID:"wrt"
Mode:Master
Frequency:2.437 GHz (Channel 6)
Signal level:-51 dBm Noise level:-97 dBm
Encryption keyn
Extra: Last beacon: 146ms ago

[tim@mary ~]$ exit

Old 04-05-2008, 09:06 PM
Aaron Konstam

On Sat, 2008-04-05 at 15:34 +0100, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> 1. After re-booting, a window comes up with:
> "Enter password for default keyring to unlock"
> I enter this.
>
> 2. 10 seconds later, another window appears:
> "Secrets required for wireless network.
> Passwords or encryption keys are required
> to access the wireless network 'agere'".
> I enter the 10-hexdigit key,
> choose the default option "Open System",
> and press "Connect".
>
> When I hover over the nm applet I am told
> "Attempting to join the wireless network 'agere'".
> After 15 seconds I am told the connection has been disconnected.
>
> I've checked on the AP, and there is no record there
> of any attempt to connect.
But is there messages in /var/log/messages about the connect attempt?

Old 04-06-2008, 03:30 PM
Timothy Murphy

Aaron Konstam wrote:

>> I've checked on the AP, and there is no record there
>> of any attempt to connect.

> But is there messages in /var/log/messages about the connect attempt?

Yes, there is a huge amount of information about the attempt.
Here is the info on one try
(I've deleted the date etc after the first line):
-------------------------------------
Apr 5 00:26:40 elizabeth NetworkManager: <info> starting...
eth1: Device is fully-supported using driver 'orinoco_cs'.
eth1: driver does not support SSID scans (scan_capa 0x00).
Now managing wireless (802.11) device 'eth1'.
Bringing up device eth1
Deactivating device eth1.
(eth1): exporting device
as /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/net_00_02_2d_1d_43_b7
Trying to start the supplicant...
(eth1) supplicant manager is now in state 1 (from 0).
(eth1) supplicant interface is now in state 2 (from 1).
SWITCH: no current connection, found better connection 'Auto agere
(eth1)'.
Activating device eth1
Activation (eth1) Stage 1 of 5 (Device Prepare) scheduled...
Activation (eth1) Stage 1 of 5 (Device Prepare) started...
Activation (eth1) Stage 2 of 5 (Device Configure) scheduled...
Activation (eth1) Stage 1 of 5 (Device Prepare) complete.
Activation (eth1) Stage 2 of 5 (Device Configure) starting...
Activation (eth1/wireless): access point 'Auto agere' has security, but
secrets are required.
Activation (eth1) Stage 2 of 5 (Device Configure) complete.
(eth1) Supplicant interface state change: 1 -> 2
(eth1) Supplicant interface state change: 2 -> 1
Missing or invalid key management
Activation (eth1) Stage 1 of 5 (Device Prepare) scheduled...
Activation (eth1) Stage 1 of 5 (Device Prepare) started...
Activation (eth1) Stage 2 of 5 (Device Configure) scheduled...
Activation (eth1) Stage 1 of 5 (Device Prepare) complete.
Activation (eth1) Stage 2 of 5 (Device Configure) starting...
Activation (eth1/wireless): connection 'Auto agere' has security, and
secrets exist. No new secrets needed.
Config: added 'ssid' value 'maths.tcd.ie'
Config: added 'mode' value '1'
Config: added 'key_mgmt' value 'NONE'
Config: added 'auth_alg' value 'OPEN'
Config: added 'wep_key0' value '<omitted>'
Config: added 'wep_tx_keyidx' value '0'
Activation (eth1) Stage 2 of 5 (Device Configure) complete.
Config: set interface ap_scan to 2
(eth1) Supplicant interface state change: 1 -> 2
(eth1) Supplicant interface state change: 2 -> 3
(eth1) Supplicant interface state change: 3 -> 0
eth1: link timed out.
(eth1) Supplicant interface state change: 0 -> 2
(eth1) Supplicant interface state change: 2 -> 3
(eth1) Supplicant interface state change: 3 -> 0
Activation (eth1/wireless): association took too long, asking for new key.